ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN: The most interesting CFP scenarios for the second half

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ollege-football-playoff-second-half-scenarios

Can two Big Ten teams get in?

Yes. If one-loss Michigan wins the Big Ten and Ohio State's only loss of the season is a close one to the rival Wolverines in the regular-season finale, the committee could still consider the Buckeyes a top-four team, as long as the committee members agree they are "unequivocally" one of the four best.

Here's another option, though seemingly less realistic: Iowa (5-1) narrowly beats an undefeated Ohio State team in the Big Ten championship game. Yes, Iowa. With Wisconsin's loss to Michigan last weekend, it opened the door for the Hawkeyes in the Big Ten's West division. If Iowa finishes 12-1, there's a 66 percent chance the Hawkeyes will go to the CFP, according to ESPN's Playoff Predictor.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ollege-football-playoff-second-half-scenarios

Can two Big Ten teams get in?

Yes. If one-loss Michigan wins the Big Ten and Ohio State's only loss of the season is a close one to the rival Wolverines in the regular-season finale, the committee could still consider the Buckeyes a top-four team, as long as the committee members agree they are "unequivocally" one of the four best.

Here's another option, though seemingly less realistic: Iowa (5-1) narrowly beats an undefeated Ohio State team in the Big Ten championship game. Yes, Iowa. With Wisconsin's loss to Michigan last weekend, it opened the door for the Hawkeyes in the Big Ten's West division. If Iowa finishes 12-1, there's a 66 percent chance the Hawkeyes will go to the CFP, according to ESPN's Playoff Predictor.
If we make the college football playoff, we will win it all. You heard it here first.;)

Last edited:
I remember last time they had this type of scenario (2006), everybody thought OSU and Michigan should have a rematch in the BCS championship. OSU was undefeated and Michigan lost a close one to them in the final game of the season. Florida went on to destroy OSU and Michigan lost handily to USC.

I am no longer convinced that OSU is the forgone favorite in the East. Michigan is really good this year. I need to see it against some teams with a pulse, but I think this Iowa team will match up well with either Ohio State or Michigan.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
I am no longer convinced that OSU is the forgone favorite in the East. Michigan is really good this year. I need to see it against some teams with a pulse, but I think this Iowa team will match up well with either Ohio State or Michigan.

That tOSU/Mich will be a blood bath this year while Iowa gets Nebraska to end the season. I like Iowa’s chances in the B1G Championship game due to this short turn around. Of course, all of this hinges on two very important things - that these three teams will be playing to get to Indy 12/1. And no, I’m not talking about Nebraska either. Hoping the Hawks can dispatch the Huskers in short order so the starters are well rested and ready for the B1G Championship game.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Isn't it nice to be talked about half way into the season?

A story from ESPN.com:

The most important second-half storyline for each Top 25 team

• ESPN staff
As we hit the second half, it's time to start thinking about what teams need to do to make a playoff run or enter the conference championship mix. For some, it's fixing an issue on defense. For others, it's getting a key player back to health.

Here is the key second-half storyline for each Top 25 team:

No. 19 Iowa
i

For Iowa, sitting at 5-1, the team will be trying to finish out the season strong while also watching what happens with Wisconsin. Both teams now have one conference loss; however, Iowa's loss is to the Badgers. If the Hawkeyes want to make it to the Big Ten championship game, they are going to need some help from Wisconsin's opponents the rest of the way. Both teams still have big tests ahead with Penn State on each team's schedule as well as Northwestern. Iowa needs to take care of business and hope another Big Ten opponent can take down Wisconsin in the process. -- VanHaaren

LINK: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...d-half-storyline-top-25-college-football-team

Last edited:
That tOSU/Mich will be a blood bath this year while Iowa gets Nebraska to end the season. I like Iowa’s chances in the B1G Championship game due to this short turn around. Of course, all of this hinges on two very important things - that these three teams will be playing to get to Indy 12/1. And no, I’m not talking about Nebraska either. Hoping the Hawks can dispatch the Huskers in short order so the starters are well rested and ready for the B1G Championship game.
But Scott Frost expects to be playing on Dec 1 in Indy! ;)

Iowa just needs to take one game at a time. Hopefully we don't lay an egg along the way, starting this week with Maryland. If we take care of business on Saturday, man, the Penn State game is obviously gonna be Huuuuuuuuuge!

We have a ranking number next to our logo, so we are relevant again to ESPN. Woohoo! Let's see how long it lasts.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Iowa just needs to take one game at a time. Hopefully we don't lay an egg along the way, starting this week with Maryland. If we take care of business on Saturday, man, the Penn State game is obviously gonna be Huuuuuuuuuge!
That's the next bubble game for Iowa.

More often than not in recent years bubble games have been what's holding us back from taking the next step to being a championship contender/winner

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT