ADVERTISEMENT

Exploding Energy Costs and Grid Frailty

Good grief.

We are the richest, most powerful nation in the history of the world and we don't have a grid that can withstand bad weather. Not once-in-a-century hurricanes or floods. Just bad weather.

The grid, in a lot of places, like Tampa, is 120 years old. The power line in our alley would short out every time there was a strong storm and fry all kinds of appliances in the houses on both streets. Even houses with new surge protectors were not immune from damage. One house had flames coming out of an outlet during Hurricane Irma in 2017.

After Irma they replaced everything in the alley and cut back a lot of trees. In the storms since, there have been no electrical problems. Updating and modernizing the grid would cut into investors profits so it isn’t done. Instead they slap expensive bandaids on the system and pass the higher costs onto consumers.

Texas, with the exception of El Paso, in their typical delusional way, took themselves off the national grid. This has exacerbated their grid problems. From what I have seen in the solar videos that I have watched, it is renewables, mostly solar on people’s homes, that have mitigated Texas’ grid issues.

Last edited:
I think it is more respectful to say Banana Republic
I Like Swimsuit GIF by MOODMAN

So $35,000,000,000,000 in debt = rich and millions of ILLEGALS are not using any energy? Got it!

This is going to be my last attempt to treat you as maybe worth the effort.

Yes, we are in debt, big time. I don't like it either.

Being in debt does not change the fact that we are the richest, most powerful nation in the history of the world. Not one iota. There's no excuse for us to have less than a world leading energy grid.

Yes, so-called illegals also use energy. Only an idiot would suggest that's the reason why our energy grid isn't good enough.

Please try harder to contribute usefully to this forum.

Being in debt does not change the fact that we are the richest, most powerful nation in the history of the world. Not one iota. There's no excuse for us to have less than a world leading energy grid.

Yes, so-called illegals also use energy. Only an idiot would suggest that's the reason why our energy grid isn't good enough.

Oh no...please no....anything but not responding with your twisted leftist drivel and POV!

Better start plugging a few million more cars into that grid to achieve true equity.
you don't think that pushing more solar/molten salt/nuclear plants wouldn't fix this? Is so, get out of the conversation scrubby, you lack the intelligence required to fix problems.

Reactions: nelly02

How are you measuring "richest" nation?

The energy grid is a collection of power lines with power supplied by many power companies and cooperatives. It's not a function of the US government.

you don't think that pushing more solar/molten salt/nuclear plants wouldn't fix this? Is so, get out of the conversation scrubby, you lack the intelligence required to fix problems.
Don't see much talk about nuclear plants (or molten salt especially) but I'm a fan of both in general. Bit of a horse/cart situation though if you build a bunch of evs without implementing better power generation simultaneously/in advance of plugging all these new items in.

From what I have seen in the solar videos that I have watched, it is renewables, mostly solar on people’s homes, that have mitigated Texas’ grid issues.
In the new neighborhood I've moved to, I've been really surprised at the percentage of homes that have solar panels on their roofs. It's probably ~30-40% of the homes (estimate) in my immediate area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT