ADVERTISEMENT

Fact check: Biden makes false and misleading claims in economic speech

Pete Malloy

HR All-American
Oct 14, 2022
Trendy Waterbury Neighborhood - Des Moines
Reactions: DogBoyRy
President Joe Biden delivered a Thursday speech to hail economic progress during his administration and to attack congressional Republicans for their proposals on the economy and the social safety net.

Some of Biden’s claims in the speech were false, misleading or lacking critical context.

Here’s a breakdown of the 14 claims CNN fact-checked.

Facts and data always make slow joe look stupid or as a liar.

Reactions: SIXERS24

Infrastructure projects​

Touting the bipartisan infrastructure law he signed in 2021, Biden said, “Last year, we funded 700,000 major construction projects – 700,000 all across America. From highways to airports to bridges to tunnels to broadband.”

Facts First: Biden’s “700,000” figure is wildly inaccurate; it adds an extra two zeros to the correct figure Biden used in a speech last week and the White House has also used before: 7,000 projects. The White House acknowledged his misstatement later on Thursday by correcting the official transcript to say 7,000 rather than 700,000.

A cap on seniors’ drug spending​

Biden said, “Well, here’s the deal: I put a – we put a cap, and it’s now in effect – now in effect, as of January 1 – of $2,000 a year on prescription drug costs for seniors.”

Facts First: Biden’s claims that this cap is now in effect and that it came into effect on January 1 are false. The $2,000 annual cap contained in the Inflation Reduction Act that Biden signed last year – on Medicare Part D enrollees’ out-of-pocket spending on covered prescription drugs – takes effect in 2025. The maximum may be higher than $2,000 in subsequent years, since it is tied to Medicare Part D’s per capita costs.

Asked for comment, a White House official noted that other Inflation Reduction Act health care provisions that will save Americans money did indeed come into effect on January 1, 2023.

Looks like a few of our resident Radical Right posters aren't taking the good jobs report very well.

Biden is winning and it's killing them.
Winning?
Hows your 401k doing. State pension funds?
Gold.
Thanks.

Looks like a few of our resident Radical Right posters aren't taking the good jobs report very well.

Biden is winning and it's killing them.

Maybe if Biden wanted more people to buy his misleading statements he should end them by saying "No one has ever seen anything like this in the history of our country, people can't believe it"

Winning?
Hows your 401k doing. State pension funds?
Gold.
Thanks.
Gold? Really? Gold isn't a great investment, but it has gone up almost $100/oz. since Biden took office.

If you hold gold as a major part of your investments, congrats you've been scammed by the Fox News commercials trying to sell it.

The unemployment rate was just below 3.5% in December, the lowest figure since 1969.

The headline monthly rate, which is rounded to a single decimal place, was reported as 3.5% in December and also reported as 3.5% in three months of President Donald Trump’s tenure
Conservative tears...delicious.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Gold? Really? Gold isn't a great investment, but it has gone up almost $100/oz. since Biden took office.

If you hold gold as a major part of your investments, congrats you've been scammed by the Fox News commercials trying to sell it.
It references quality of the joke - it’s gold jerry, gold.
What a maroon.

Joe is a serial liar and has been for 50 years. It should not surprise anybody.

I voted for him anyway and sorry I did. I should have abstained like I did in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT