ADVERTISEMENT

Father's Day Cookout Ideas?

While I can appreciate the sentiment, if you have something that holds a constant temp, times are usually spot on for ribs. Looser for pork butt but usually kinda consistent. I have not yet figured out the voodoo of brisket. I just do that in a slow cooker for corned beef.
I do think ribs are a lot more predictable from a cooking time perspective, more so than a bulkier piece of protein like a pork butt, ham and certainly a whole brisket.

My problem early on was relying too much on a fixed thermal probe during the process. A few months ago I got an instant read thermometer and use that now consistently and ditched the fixed thermal probes. You can get several readings very quickly from several locations in the hunk of meat and gauge it better as a whole. Ribs I’ve found can be trickier because the meat to bone ratio is so low and readings can vary a lot in the same rack. I rely more on their appearance and the amount of bend when lifted in the middle to gauge when they’re done.

I used to use the smoker for the entire cook but now for a longer cook I’ll transfer to the oven after 4-5 hours in the smoker. More consistent temperature control and smoking beyond that point is just overkill. Don’t spend more than $20 for an instant read thermometer, a probe sold at $80-$100 is more accurate but only by tenths of a degree. That level of accuracy is not a difference maker IMO.

As much as I love smoked meats, some of my favorites are actually sides like smoked baked beans and a smoked queso with chorizo. You can’t prepare that with a sous vide.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Hell no. I’m not cooking on Father’s Day. Family is taking me out to a local spot on the Gulf. Steak and scallops. And a few drinks.

• Sad
Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT