ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Judge Hands Major Legal Victory To Gun Owners

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
A federal judge struck down the Biden administration’s attempt to ban adults aged 18 to 20 from buying handguns, ruling in favor of two individuals who were affected by the ban.

The judge’s decision emphasized the Second Amendment’s “unqualified command” and the need for gun control laws to align with historical traditions of firearm regulation.

The judge rejected the government’s argument and emphasized that the burden falls on the government to justify any challenged regulation.

“To justify its regulation, the government may not simply posit that the regulation promotes an important interest,” Judge Thomas Kleeh stated.

“The government must demonstrate that the regulation is consistent with the Nation’s historic tradition of firearm regulation. Only if a firearm regulation is consistent with the Nation’s historical tradition may a court conclude that the individual’s conduct falls outside the Second Amendment’s ‘unqualified command.’”

“Defendants generally miss the point and Plaintiffs’ injury is clear.”

“Plaintiffs do not dispute that 18-to-20-year-olds who are law-abiding adults and not otherwise banned from firearm possession are not prohibited from possessing handguns.”

“Brown and Weekley’s injury prompting the filing of this suit is that they cannot purchase handguns and handgun ammunition from FFLs as a result of the age-based ban,” the judge wrote.

“Defendants’ specific arguments are likewise unavailing. First, the suggestion Plaintiffs suffer no injury because a parent or guardian can simply purchase the gun and give it to an 18- to 20-year-old overly minimizes Plaintiffs’ plight,” he added.

“Deprivation of a constitutional right is a deprivation and, necessarily, an injury in fact, no matter if an ‘easy’ and lawful work-around exists. Moreover, the Supreme Court of the United States previously rejected the Government’s reasoning in a different context.”

“If the normal and ordinary meaning of the Second Amendment’s text protects the individual’s proposed course of conduct, which the Court finds to be the case here, then the Amendment ‘presumptively guarantees’ the individual’s right related to firearms, and the burden falls on the Government to justify the challenged regulation. Bruen, 142 S. Ct. at 2135.”

“The Government bears the burden to show that the law is ‘consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation,’” he wrote.

“Defendants have not presented any evidence of age-based restrictions on the purchase or sale of firearms from before or at the Founding or during the Early Republic.”

“Defendants have likewise failed to offer evidence of similar regulation between then and 1791 or in a relevant timeframe thereafter. For that reason alone, Defendants have failed to meet the burden imposed by Bruen,” Kleeh wrote.

“This is a huge victory for Second Amendment rights, especially for young adults,” said Adam Kraut, executive director of the Second Amendment Foundation.

“The Biden Justice Department argued that people in this age group were not adults, which was patently ludicrous. The government simply could not defend the constitutionality of the handgun prohibition, and Judge Kleeh’s ruling makes that clear,” he added.

This ruling was seen as a significant victory for Second Amendment rights, particularly for young adults, with the judge’s decision being praised by Second Amendment advocates.

Reactions: Scruddy
Intellectual level of Mike Tyson.

Congratulations.

Now apply it to owning a gun.

More likely to kill yourself, probably a societal gain.
Dear Lawd, denigrating a survivor of sexual assault in an attempt at a pwn?

yikes-davidrose.gif

Is this where I say its a trump appointed judge therefore has no authority and we can do whatever we want?

You know like you and Northern said about the border?

The only way anything will ever change is to ammendment the constitution. Good luck with that in this political climate.

Reactions: Finance85
“The government must demonstrate that the regulation is consistent with the Nation’s historic tradition of firearm regulation. Only if a firearm regulation is consistent with the Nation’s historical tradition may a court conclude that the individual’s conduct falls outside the Second Amendment’s ‘unqualified command.’”
While I agree with overturning the ban, both elements of this reasoning are awful.

To me this is a simple equal protection argument. If adults can have guns and we define adulthood as starting at 18, then 18-year-olds can have guns under the same rules as older adults.

It should be beyond the scope of any presidential order to decide who counts as an adult. Imagine what a bad President could do with that kind of authority.

If certain adults can be prevented from doing adult things, what's next? Certain religious people can't do religious things? Certain members of the press can't do press things? All by presidential order?

While I agree with overturning the ban, both elements of this reasoning are awful.

To me this is a simple equal protection argument. If adults can have guns and we define adulthood as starting at 18, then 18-year-olds can have guns under the same rules as older adults.

It should be beyond the scope of any presidential order to decide who counts as an adult. Imagine what a bad President could do with that kind of authority.

If certain adults can be prevented from doing adult things, what's next? Certain religious people can't do religious things? Certain members of the press can't do press things? All by presidential order?
Unfortunately, this is the 2A rule we are left with after Clarence Thomas’ non-sensical opinion in Bruen in last year.

I love the incels on here. They make me laugh. If any of you were dropped off in Ukraine or Gaza, you would shit your pants. Pathetic ass clowns.
Do you think you'd be big and brave if you were on the front lines fighting against Muslim extremists? I have my doubts tbh

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
I think many are missing the point here. 18-20 year olds could always legally own handguns, they just couldn't buy them. It made no sense. It would be like legalizing alcohol consumption at 18 but still not allowing anyone under 21 to purchase alcohol.
Bravo to this judge for bringing common sense instead of emotion or politics to the bench.

Did he get one removed? Pretty sure he went the felony route and got the trifecta.
I can verify the 2 on Iowa Courts Online... maybe he got one in Michigan when he fled the state and ran away from his responsibilities of being a parent? IDK... I won't use it at him if it might not be true.

Do you think you'd be big and brave if you were on the front lines fighting against Muslim extremists? I have my doubts tbh
That's why I don't spew garbage and you'd be thousand percent right.

I used to be way more of an idealist than I am now. Hard to believe, right?!

I used to think the DoJ was the protector of our rights. Turns out, they are mostly the protector of the US Government abusing our rights. It's not just 2A, it's other stuff as well, most having to do with agencies abusing the regulatory process to go way beyond their lawful purposes. Congress is a part of this because they have been lazy, and ceded power to the executive branch, and it's power they will never recover without veto proof votes in both chambers.

I'm glad the SCOTUS has essentially opened up the Chevron standard to be questioned. Anyone not wanting a tyrannical POTUS and Executive Branch should be glad too.

Reactions: ICHerky
I'm glad the SCOTUS has essentially opened up the Chevron standard to be questioned. Anyone not wanting a tyrannical POTUS and Executive Branch should be glad too.
Whereas anyone who wants effective government should be appalled.

Congress isn't competent enough nor will it bother to take time off from fundraising to spell out all the regulatory details. They correctly turn that over to the agency experts. Which Chevron recognized.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT