ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Judge Upholds Indiana University’s Student Vaccine Requirement

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
In what appeared to be the first ruling upholding a coronavirus vaccine mandate by a university, a federal judge affirmed on Monday that Indiana University could require that its students be vaccinated against the virus.

A lawyer for eight student plaintiffs had argued that requiring the vaccine violated their right to bodily integrity and autonomy, and that the coronavirus vaccines have only emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration, and should not be considered as part of the normal range of vaccinations schools require. He vowed an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.

“What we have here is the government forcing you to do something that you strenuously object to and have your body invaded in the process,” said the lawyer, James Bopp Jr.

He said that the appeal would be paid for by America’s Frontline Doctors, a conservative organization that has been pursuing an anti-vaccine agenda. Mr. Bopp, of Terre Haute, Ind., is known for his legal advocacy promoting conservative causes.

Mr. Bopp filed the lawsuit in June, after Indiana University announced the previous month that faculty, staff and students would be required to get coronavirus vaccinations before coming to school this fall.

The university, whose main campus is in Bloomington, Ind., said that students who did not comply would have their class registrations canceled and would be barred from campus activities.

The requirement permitted exemptions only for religious objections, documented allergies to the vaccine, medical deferrals and virtual class attendance.

On Monday, Judge Damon R. Leichty of the U.S. District Court for Northern Indiana said that while he recognized the students’ interest in refusing unwarranted medical treatment, such a right must be weighed against the state’s greater interest.

“The Fourteenth Amendment permits Indiana University to pursue a reasonable and due process of vaccination in the legitimate interest of public health for its students, faculty and staff,” his ruling said, also noting that the university had made exceptions for students who object.

Universities around the country have taken different positions on the question of requiring coronavirus vaccines, with about 400 campuses mandating vaccines. Students on several campuses have filed or threatened lawsuits.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Universities have generally required vaccinations, haven't they? How is Covid magically supposed to be any "different"?

The covid vaccines are still operating under emergency use authorizations,.. that's different.

So you are telling me these students who object will rush to get the vaccine when it gets full approval by year end or risk get kicked out of school then? Please.

No,.. I'm telling you that the school would be in a much better legal position if it were requiring students to use fully approved vaccines....

Reactions: sandiegohawk
In what appeared to be the first ruling upholding a coronavirus vaccine mandate by a university, a federal judge affirmed on Monday that Indiana University could require that its students be vaccinated against the virus.

A lawyer for eight student plaintiffs had argued that requiring the vaccine violated their right to bodily integrity and autonomy, and that the coronavirus vaccines have only emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration, and should not be considered as part of the normal range of vaccinations schools require. He vowed an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.

“What we have here is the government forcing you to do something that you strenuously object to and have your body invaded in the process,” said the lawyer, James Bopp Jr.

He said that the appeal would be paid for by America’s Frontline Doctors, a conservative organization that has been pursuing an anti-vaccine agenda. Mr. Bopp, of Terre Haute, Ind., is known for his legal advocacy promoting conservative causes.

Mr. Bopp filed the lawsuit in June, after Indiana University announced the previous month that faculty, staff and students would be required to get coronavirus vaccinations before coming to school this fall.

The university, whose main campus is in Bloomington, Ind., said that students who did not comply would have their class registrations canceled and would be barred from campus activities.

The requirement permitted exemptions only for religious objections, documented allergies to the vaccine, medical deferrals and virtual class attendance.

On Monday, Judge Damon R. Leichty of the U.S. District Court for Northern Indiana said that while he recognized the students’ interest in refusing unwarranted medical treatment, such a right must be weighed against the state’s greater interest.

“The Fourteenth Amendment permits Indiana University to pursue a reasonable and due process of vaccination in the legitimate interest of public health for its students, faculty and staff,” his ruling said, also noting that the university had made exceptions for students who object.

Universities around the country have taken different positions on the question of requiring coronavirus vaccines, with about 400 campuses mandating vaccines. Students on several campuses have filed or threatened lawsuits.

TYRANNY!!!

Storm the governor's mansion!

I'm going to move out of this state if it's the last thing that I ever do...

Reactions: cigaretteman
Let's see what their legal position looks like when these vaccines get tagged with potential negative side effects...
Lets see what the legal position is when you have outbreaks because morons don't want to get a tiny needle in their arm.

Lets see what the legal position is when you have outbreaks because morons don't want to get a tiny needle in their arm.

That position would be defensible for the school,.. the other, not so much.

Aren't conservatives the champions of "if you don't like it, leave"? Let them go to another university. I imagine there are plenty "christian" colleges who don't require the vaccine. Heck, they probably prohibit them so back the political narrative from the right.

May not be right, but they are allowing those students to remain online it looks like. It makes sense.

Universities have generally required vaccinations, haven't they? How is Covid magically supposed to be any "different"?
Because it doesn't have full FDA authorization?

Kind of surprised by the ruling because of that....this is a good thing though. Get vaccinated.

No they're not,.. Wait until full FDA approval and then let's see what the label says.
What are you Cons going to do when this vaccine gets full FDA approval? The whole "it's not fully FDA approved..." seems to be all ya'll are clinging to these days.

Reactions: Joes Place
The covid vaccines are still operating under emergency use authorizations,.. that's different.

More than 3 billion doses have been administered, and full approval is currently in process.
To use EUA as though "they were never tested" is complete and utter BS.

Because it doesn't have full FDA authorization?

Kind of surprised by the ruling because of that....this is a good thing though. Get vaccinated.
Why is it "surprising"

>3 billion doses have been given, with side effects pretty much on par with most other vaccines.

More than 3 billion doses have been administered, and full approval is currently in process.
To use EUA as though "they were never tested" is complete and utter BS.

I'm not doing that,.. I'm using EUA as "Emergency Use Authorization",.. as in "This vaccine is approved for emergency use",.. There are a lot of people in this country that simply aren't currently experiencing a personal emergency and the rest of the population that might feel otherwise needs to simply back off...

There are a lot of people in this country that simply aren't currently experiencing a personal emergency
There are a lot of people who ARE

Including some very very tired healthcare workers in the areas where people won't get vaccinated.

Nobody is forcing students to take a vaccine. They can take one to attend classes or not take it and not attend classes there. I really don't understand how taking a vaccine is now such an issue. Can you imagine if this was the attitude in the 50's when the polio vaccine was announced??? The major reason we have folks so against it is because Trump made it so. Had he sang it's virtues and at each stop told his supporters it was a "beautiful vaccine... the best vaccine and some say most effective vaccine ever" the resistance to taking it would be much, much smaller.

I'd say it's surprising that they can't seem to render an approval...

Is it? There are timelines involved which are "fixed".
Pfizer only recently applied for this, and there's a formal process. It's not a "magic wand" here.

Nobody is forcing students to take a vaccine. They can take one to attend classes or not take it and not attend classes there. I really don't understand how taking a vaccine is now such an issue. Can you imagine if this was the attitude in the 50's when the polio vaccine was announced???

You can find stock photos of people lining up for HOURS to get that in the '50s.

Of course, rightwing propaganda wasn't a "thing" in those days.

What are you Cons going to do when this vaccine gets full FDA approval?
OIP.n8ILHE12rpRWZ2ye6gDRlAHaFj

• Haha
Is it? There are timelines involved which are "fixed".
Pfizer only recently applied for this, and there's a formal process. It's not a "magic wand" here.

If the FDA gets time to render what they feel is a proper decision, then I think the average citizen can be given the same latitude...

If the FDA gets time to render what they feel is a proper decision, then I think the average citizen can be given the same latitude...

Your stupidity knows no bounds; there's a REASON the EUA law was put in place.
This is it.

Reactions: ping72

Do you not understand the definition of the word “emergency.”

I think the legal standing is even stronger in this situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT