ADVERTISEMENT

Finished The West Wing

Jimmy McGill

HR Legend
Sep 9, 2018
Earth
Just an outstanding show. Aaron Sorkin is just an unbelievable talent.

Thoughts:

As with all good shows, there is an entire season that can be taken out. For me it was the second half of season 5. Didn't really develop much and seemed like time filler.

Was sad to see Rob Lowe's character leave. He was great. He came back for the last episode, but it was never explained what his role in the new White House would be.

I absolutely hated seeing Leo pass away. He was the rock of the Bartlett administration. Spencer is good actor. We knew somebody would die in 7 seasons. I figured he was dead after the first heart attack. Kind of wish they had a little with him in the episode he dies.

To think that Bradley Whitford could play the guy in Billy Madison and Josh Lyman shows that he as a wide repertoire of acting skills. He was convincing as the non-stop political strategist. A lot of humorous scenes with him.

Disclaimer: I am not a Jimmy Smits fan. He seems to show up in shows I like and offer very little to the show (Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, etc.) So...I was bummed out when he became a major role. That being said, adding Alan Alda's role more than made up for Smits.

I have not seen Dule Hill (Charlie Young) in anything else. He was a perfect fit for his role. Same goes for C.J. (Allison Janey). Between her, Zoey and Donna, I'd make myself available. The sexiest woman on the show was easily Amy Gardner

Amy_Gardner.png

Toby, Toby, Toby. The great Richard Schiff's character only smiles 21 times through 7 seasons. His dry wit was awesome. Great speech writer. Doesn't use a computer...handwrites his speeches. I understand what he did and why he did. For all the good things I'm about to say about President Jed Bartlett, if he had not signed that final commutation/pardon for Toby, my feelings about him would have changed

Mrs Bartlett - bitch

Mrs. Lanningham - what everyone would want for a grandma

Kudos to Alan Aarkin, John Goodman, John Amos, J.K. Simmons, Christopher Lloyd, Christian Slater, and bunch of others for playing great guest stars.

Jed Barlett

A bow tie on a brilliant career for Martin Sheen. As someone else noted; what we would all want and deserve to have as a POTUS. Wasn't too quick the pull the trigger when the Generals were pushing him. Made attempt of being reconciliatory despite the fact that he was Dem through and through. Family man, although, it didn't appear that he had much family support as a child in his Dad's prep school or by his wife Abby. I really thought they were going to get divorced during the show. Strong in his faith, but he questioned God and smudged out a cigarette in front of the alter in one episode.

It would be interesting to see if we ever elect a POTUS that already has a Nobel Prize before entering office. His intelligence was a little too braggadocios at times. But was easy to humble as well

All in all, a solid "A" tinkering on A +

I’ve been chipping away at it. It’s a good show, reminds me a lot of a show I have finished of Sorkin’s- the Newsroom. I really enjoyed Newsroom

Reactions: Jimmy McGill

Thoughts:

As with all good shows, there is an entire season that can be taken out. For me it was the second half of season 5. Didn't really develop much and seemed like time filler.

Was sad to see Rob Lowe's character leave. He was great. He came back for the last episode, but it was never explained what his role in the new White House would be.

I absolutely hated seeing Leo pass away. He was the rock of the Bartlett administration. Spencer is good actor. We knew somebody would die in 7 seasons. I figured he was dead after the first heart attack. Kind of wish they had a little with him in the episode he dies.

To think that Bradley Whitford could play the guy in Billy Madison and Josh Lyman shows that he as a wide repertoire of acting skills. He was convincing as the non-stop political strategist. A lot of humorous scenes with him.

Disclaimer: I am not a Jimmy Smits fan. He seems to show up in shows I like and offer very little to the show (Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, etc.) So...I was bummed out when he became a major role. That being said, adding Alan Alda's role more than made up for Smits.

I have seen Dule Hill (Charlie Young) in anything else. He was a perfect fit for his role. Same goes for C.J. (Allison Janey). Between her, Zoey and Donna, I'd make myself available. The sexiest woman on the show was easily Amy Gardner

Amy_Gardner.png

Toby, Toby, Toby. The great Richard Schiff's character only smiles 21 times through 7 seasons. His dry wit was awesome. Great speech writer. Doesn't use a computer...handwrites his speeches. I understand what he did and why he did. For all the good things I'm about to say about President Jed Bartlett, if he had not signed that final commutation/pardon for Toby, my feelings about him would have changed

Mrs Bartlett - bitch

Kudos to Alan Aarking, John Goodman, John Amos, J.K. Simmons, Christopher Lloyd, Christian Slater, and bunch of others for playing great guest stars.

Jed Barlett

A bow tie on a brilliant career for Martin Sheen. As someone else noted; what we would all want and deserve to have as a POTUS. Wasn't too quick the pull the trigger when the Generals were pushing him. Made attempt of being reconciliatory despite the fact that he was Dem through and through. Family man, although, it didn't appear that he had much family support as a child in his Dad's prep school or by his wife Abby. I really thought they were going to get divorced during the show. Strong in his faith, but he questioned God and smudged out a cigarette in front of the alter in one episode.

It would be interesting to see if we ever elect a POTUS that already has a Nobel Prize before entering office. His intelligence was a little too braggadocios at times. But was easy to humble as well

The "I can only hope" line and that episode are some amazing tv.

Second best line is where someone is complaining about the National Endowment for the Arts funding an artist who smashed all his belongings with a sledgehammer on a street in San Fran, and Sam says I've done that. I didn't know there was funding available.

Third best line is Sam again when he's talking about the Cold War spy, and says that treason is not just a crime against the living because "this ground holds the graves of people who died for it. Who gave what Lincoln called the last full measure of devotion."

I'd rank Mallory 1 and Amy Gardner 1A. But it’s real close. Great show.

The "I can only hope" line and that episode are some amazing tv.

Second best line is where someone is complaining about the National Endowment for the Arts funding an artist who smashed all his belongings with a sledgehammer on a street in San Fran, and Sam says I've done that. I didn't know there was funding available.

Third best line is Sam again when he's talking about the Cold War spy, and says that treason is not just a crime against the living because "this ground holds the graves of people who died for it. Who gave what Lincoln called the last full measure of devotion."

I'd rank Mallory 1 and Amy Gardner 1A. But it’s real close. Great show.

My favorites:
The episode with a potential border clash with Canada.
Josh's press briefing
Marion Coatsworth Hay

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
The first four seasons are as good as TV gets. Then when Sorkin left and John Wells took over it was not nearly as good. Season 5 was bad.

Which season was it that came after 9/11? Remember reading afterwards that they had to do a lot of rework on that season and it messed up their long term plans for the show, took awhile to get back on track.

Thoughts:

I have not seen Dule Hill (Charlie Young) in anything else. He was a perfect fit for his role. Same goes for C.J. (Allison Janey). Between her, Zoey and Donna, I'd make myself available. The sexiest woman on the show was easily Amy Gardner

Amy_Gardner.png

Mrs Bartlett - bitch

Kudos to Alan Aarkin, John Goodman, John Amos, J.K. Simmons, Christopher Lloyd, Christian Slater, and bunch of others for playing great guest stars.

Jed Barlett

Didn’t John Spencer actually die tho? And that was why we never saw his body?

Didn’t John Spencer actually die tho? And that was why we never saw his body?

Correct. He died while filming the last season. The VP debate was his last episode though they didn't kill him off for a few more. That is why Jimmy Smits won.

The original plan was for Alan Alda to win, but then when Spencer died they didnt' want Santos to lose his VP and the race.

• Sad
Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Which season was it that came after 9/11? Remember reading afterwards that they had to do a lot of rework on that season and it messed up their long term plans for the show, took awhile to get back on track.

Isaac and Ishmael.

The end of S1 into S2 “in the Shadow of Two Gunmen” and the end of S2 “Two Cathedrals” are some of most powerful episodes of television I’ve ever watched.

“In Excelsis Deo” deserves honorable mention too as the line “I can only hope, sir” might be the best in the series. Personally I think this is a must watch for anyone, but can recognize it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

If you want a good podcast, listen to Them West Wing Weekly. Outside of The Wire, The West Wing is my favorite show.

A lot of connections to my birth city of Dayton, Ohio. Sheen, Janney and Lowe are all from Dayton. You can see some references to the University of Dayton throughout the show.

had to film lion king?

No the character simply wasn’t working for the show. There was a lot of stuff in s1 they adjust going forward - seems incredible to think now that rob lowe was supposed to be the centerpiece of the show but Martin Sheen was just too good.

Which season was it that came after 9/11? Remember reading afterwards that they had to do a lot of rework on that season and it messed up their long term plans for the show, took awhile to get back on
That was season 4 and Sorkin’s last one. That 9/11 standalone episode was supposed to have nothing to do with the rest of the show but it sort of threw things off. I always skip that one when I re-watch the series every few years. It was a very poorly done episode.

Reactions: hawkifann
No the character simply wasn’t working for the show. There was a lot of stuff in s1 they adjust going forward - seems incredible to think now that rob lowe was supposed to be the centerpiece of the show but Martin Sheen was just too good.
Then Lowe asked for more money later on which was part of the reason he left the show after season 4.

Reactions: sober_teacher
That was season 4 and Sorkin’s last one. That 9/11 standalone episode was supposed to have nothing to do with the rest of the show but it sort of threw things off. I always skip that one when I re-watch the series every few years. It was a very poorly done episode.
To be fair, it was written in like 3 days.

46481772-1cae-4c79-95cc-f5e219605662_text.gif

When I re-watch this series I am always astonished by the parallels to current issues that the story lines deal with. Those issues are significantly more magnified today.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Sorkin is amazing. West Wing, Sports Night, Newsroom, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Nobody writes dialogue like Aaron Sorkin.

I love The West Wing, and I do think that Sorkin is obviously very gifted. But I don't quite agree with everyone who thinks that he is some savant at writing dialogue. He writes extremely intelligent people very well. And it works in a show like The West Wing because its easy to assume that everyone that works in the White House is very smart and extremely witty, always ready with the perfect retort at the tip of their tongue. Or in a movie like The Social Network where its easy to assume that the characters are similarly like that.

But in other shows with other settings, I think that his dialogue comes off as fake and persnickety (and I use that word because it seems like exactly a word that a Sorkin character would use instead of "snobbish"). Not everyone that works in a news room or on a comedy variety show is going to talk like how he writes. In fact, I'd venture to say that very few people do. There is a reason Studio 60 didn't even make it a full season. First, if you are going to write a dramatic show about a comedy show, you should be able to write comedy also. Second, I don't think that anyone believed that any type of good comedy show is run by people who talk like an Aaron Sorkin character talks.

So yeah, he writes awesome dialogue, if all of the characters are supposed to be uber intelligent. But I don't think he writes "normal" people well.

I'll probably get killed for this, but its just my take.

The end of S1 into S2 “in the Shadow of Two Gunmen” and the end of S2 “Two Cathedrals” are some of most powerful episodes of television I’ve ever watched.

“In Excelsis Deo” deserves honorable mention too as the line “I can only hope, sir” might be the best in the series. Personally I think this is a must watch for anyone, but can recognize it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
I love the Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT