ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Five-star forward Michael Porter talks about Iowa ties

Apr 8, 2003
Tom's article on Class of 2017 five-star forward Michael Porter.

https://iowa.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1769810

Michael Porter is one of the best players in the Class of 2017. The 6-foot-8 forward is ranked by Rivals.com as the 2nd best prospect in his class and he already holds scholarship offers from virtually every major program in the country.

But, the Columbia, MO resident has ties to the University of Iowa and that has at least gotten the Hawkeyes on his radar.

Porter's mother is former Hawkeye Lisa Becker (now Lisa Porter), who scored 1,335 points, hauled in 691 rebounds, and blocked 83 shots in here Iowa career in the mid to late 80's. Because of those ties, Michael Porter has paid attention to the success of the Hawkeye men's program under Fran McCaffery.

"Iowa has offered me a scholarship and I really like them," Porter said this past weekend at the EYBL event in Minneapolis. "I know it's a really good school and they have played really good basketball in recent years."

However, his mother and his father, who is an assistant for the Missouri women's team, aren't pushing him to any specific school.

"My mom and dad really aren't trying to push me towards any school," Porter said. "My mom doesn't talk a whole lot about Iowa, but I know she really enjoyed her time there. They just sort of let me handle the recruiting process and try to be supportive of me."

While his parents are trying to stay neutral, Porter is a fan of college basketball and tuned in to watch the Hawkeyes from time to time.

"I watched them play a few times this past season and I like the way they play. They might not have a team with a whole lot of All American's, but they find ways to win because of their coaching and structure."

He said he has been in touch with Iowa Head Coach Fran McCaffery a few times and likes the conversations they have had.

Porter still has plenty of time before he has to make a decision and says he is wide open right now and is planning to take a couple of unofficial visits next month.

"I'm going to the University of Washington on June 6th and then I plan to visit the University of Virginia while I am at the NBA Players Top 100 event next month," he said.

Porter says that the only school that hasn't offered yet that continues to recruit him fairly hard is Kentucky and he is just trying to keep both feet on the ground while he navigates thru all the recruiting attention.

"I'm just trying to stay humble thru all this," Porter said. "All the attention has been really exciting, but I am trying to take the recruiting process really slow. I just feel really blessed because I know a lot of other kids are not in my position."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News