ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Housing Downturn "Keeps Getting More Intense By The Day"

seminole97

HB Legend
Jun 14, 2005
The housing market is shifting from a shortage of homes for sale to one with increasing inventory levels. Supply is rising for both new and existing homes. This added supply and high mortgage rates will likely put pressure on sky-high home prices.

Drilling down into the inventory story, Nick Gerli, CEO and Founder of real estate analytics firm Reventure Consulting, pointed out on X that all eyes should be on the "Florida housing downturn" because it "keeps getting more intense by the day."

Gerli noted housing inventory across the Orlando metro area has spiked to levels not seen since 2007.

"With active listings skyrocketing 82% over the last year. To 10,759 homes on the market. That's the highest level of supply since at least 2017. Suggesting: home prices will be going down in Orlando. And potentially by a lot," he said.

The analysts warned:

"This Florida housing downturn keeps getting more intense by the day. With a combination of investors, builders, and inflation-burdened homeowners off-loading houses at a historically fast clip. This increase in listings is now corresponding with a slowdown in demand, which is pushing inventory levels through the roof."

With inventory rising, he said home values in Orlando are 28% overvalued compared to their long-term averages using data from Reventure.

"That's a similar level of overvaluation to the previous peak in mid-2000s," he said, adding, "The more that inventory climbs, the greater the likelihood that prices fall."

He lists the ten most overvalued housing markets across the Sunshine State.

Last month, Gerli said Austin, Texas' housing inventory has "now spiked to the highest level on record. He said, "Values down nearly 20% already and could have another 15% decline to go."

Low inventory has plagued the overall US housing market in recent years, but the US existing home sales inventory shows a nearing reversal. This also comes as the number of news stories featuring 'housing inventory' in corporate media has spiked to record highs.

High mortgage rates and rising supply are needed in the second half to reverse sky-high housing prices. However, if the Federal Reserve's cutting cycle begins in September or the end of the year, a lower rate environment could drive demand, pushing prices higher. A continuation of higher rates for longer periods, with rising inventory, would likely begin to pressure home prices.

• Wow
Reactions: ericram
Wife and I were in Ormond Beach last week and were stunned by how many houses were for sale.

It was much worse in North Carolina in 2007-2010.

It would appear too many developers and homebuilders are getting subsidized.

Condos are being severely impacted as well.
The requirements for condo maintenance were finally addressed after the tragedy of the Surfside Towers in Miami and now the statute has been updated to reflect that they must be inspected for structural safety. Monthly fees have skyrocketed to cover repairs that weren’t being done.
There are condos where owners have been docked with special assessments and doubling of dues to as much as $30K a year plus a special assessment of $25K.
Lots of folks are selling and prices are dropping. Especially in places that are popular for vacation or second home communities.
Destin is becoming a free for all buyers market.
Florida has a history of boom and bust going way back to the 20’s. Developers have had their way with the Legislature and the statutes favored them for decades.

Cost of ownership in Florida is under correction,.. this will likely take a couple years to level out..

Destin is becoming a free for all buyers market.

curiosity-curious.gif

Lots of folks are selling and prices are dropping. Especially in places that are popular for vacation or second home communities.
Do you think it’s mostly out of staters with second homes? Floridians who moved and held onto their previous homes to rent or as an investment? People moving out of state?

Or any/all of the above who need the cash?

Reactions: goldmom
Last month, Gerli said Austin, Texas' housing inventory has "now spiked to the highest level on record. He said, "Values down nearly 20% already and could have another 15% decline to go."

The Zillow search results for Austin are completely different than when I was looking at places a year ago. Last year there was almost nothing available inside Austin.

Reactions: seminole97
The Florida housing market is insane, and should not be judged as a canary in the coal mine. For example, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae have condo guidelines that apply to 49 states, and a separate set of guidelines for Florida.

Where are all those hurricanes anyway? We had like 1 storm like a month ago and NOAA isn't showing any activity in the Atlantic for the next week at least.
Hurricane season typically doesn't even really get underway until August, peaking in September. That early July storm was record breaking in terms of how early it developed and how strong it got.

The Florida housing market is insane, and should not be judged as a canary in the coal mine. For example, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae have condo guidelines that apply to 49 states, and a separate set of guidelines for Florida.
Understandable but honestly states on the Gulf or either ocean should be held to a uniform standard.

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
UNPOSSIBLE

I've been assured by MAGAs that "everyone is moving to Florida".
How can their market be "tanking" and my zip code is up 5.1% over last year.

And in the general region here, people are getting >99% of asking price.

What gives?

Hurricane season typically doesn't even really get underway until August, peaking in September. That early July storm was record breaking in terms of how early it developed and how strong it got.
Human record keeping breaking... I'm sure there were hurricanes long before dopler radar and modern records

Reactions: The Tradition
UNPOSSIBLE

I've been assured by MAGAs that "everyone is moving to Florida".
How can their market be "tanking" and my zip code is up 5.1% over last year.

And in the general region here, people are getting >99% of asking price.

What gives?
I think a lot of this is vacation homes in resort areas as opposed to permanent residents.

Do you think it’s mostly out of staters with second homes? Floridians who moved and held onto their previous homes to rent or as an investment? People moving out of state?

Or any/all of the above who need the cash?
Take for example Destin. The heart of the condo rental market for the Gulf. Many out of state owners who were getting as much as 100K a year (or more) in rental income which covered any mortgage plus the monthly dues. The (needed and overdue) changes that finally came about after the Surfside tragedy forced Condo Associations to finally do repairs that are required when a property is located on salt water.
The law (Florida Statute 718) allowed the owners to vote to defer funding their Reserve Fund and thus keep dues lower.
Out of state owners are balking at paying $2K a month for maintenance and on top of that a special assessment of as much as $30K. A lot of the buildings have never had a structural inspections either because if they were less than four stories they were exempt. But rebar rusts out in salt air regardless of how many stories there are.
Market is being flooded and prices still reflect value increases. I think lots of owners who tend to be older and not local have decided to dump and run.

I wonder if Little Ronny will put his big boy lifts in his boots and get to work or if he’s still traveling all over the country on Florida’s dime. Maybe he can take Mickey Mouse to court again.

Reactions: ericram
Now, imagine what happens in FL once sea-level rise really kicks in...

Gonna be like this one, on steroids...

...so all the people "moving there" cannot pick up the slack here?
Doesn't look like it. Some of these areas are almost exclusively resort rentals. A lot of the state is ripe for a correction given the sky high appreciation over the last 15 years, higher interest rates, excessive building, soaring insurance and HOA fees.

I wonder if Little Ronny will put his big boy lifts in his boots and get to work or if he’s still traveling all over the country on Florida’s dime. Maybe he can take Mickey Mouse to court again.
Nothing wrong with claiming easy wins

....and how many feet above sea level are these "resort rentals"...???
100 feet is considered "high plateau" in Florida. That's where places like Orlando are at. My BIL lives in an upscale area of the Orlando metro. His insurance rates are insane and he's obviously nowhere near the coast.

Destin and other areas along the West Coast are obviously lower.

Understandable but honestly states on the Gulf or either ocean should be held to a uniform standard.

This is a good point. People seem to generalize the hurricane risk in Florida. But the risk varies. Coastal South Florida, Monroe County, and the Panhandle have significantly greater hurricane risks than inland Central and North Florida.

The lower risk parts of Florida are safer from major hurricane strikes than most of the Gulf Coast, and parts of the Atlantic coast.

100 feet is considered "high plateau" in Florida. That's where places like Orlando are at. My BIL lives in an upscale area of the Orlando metro. His insurance rates are insane and he's obviously nowhere near the coast.

Destin and other areas along the West Coast are obviously lower.

The internet says Tradition Manor is 26 feet above sea level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT