ADVERTISEMENT

Florida peeps yard question

BlIIlken2

HR All-American
Nov 23, 2021
New home down here has drainage issues along the back fence line shared with neighbors. It was graded when built per city code to allow for storm runoff but every rain storm I’m left with 2 days of standing water, assuming it doesn’t rain again which never happens. Is this an HOA issue, city issue or me as a homeowner issue? There are pvc pipes laid vertically under the fence line to what I assume would be to drain into a larger drainage pipe but they’re obviously not working and for whatever reason they’re all above ground not flush. (Probably eroded away with all the standing water).

Any recommendations of information is greatly appreciated it. French drain to the street isn’t really an option because it would be flowing back up hill.

Probably your issue + neighbors issue, and possibly have to go along with your HOA guidelines. If you need to replace/add a French drain, consider asking your neighbors to split cost and if they say no just have it empty into their yard.

Reactions: BlIIlken2
It can't hurt to check with the HOA or the city, but with it being the back fence line, it is probably something for you to deal with. Though, the PVC pipe makes me think it could be an HOA issue. I imagine if the PVC pipe is used for drainage, it is likely clogged.

Reactions: millah_22
Probably your issue + neighbors issue, and possibly have to go along with your HOA guidelines. If you need to replace/add a French drain, consider asking your neighbors to split cost and if they say no just have it empty into their yard.
This ^

French drain surrounded by gravel is probably the answer. If there's a PVC pipe there, someone knew there was a drainage problem.

Do check with your HOA. They are typically responsible for common areas for the entire association, but not individual yards.

It can't hurt to check with the HOA or the city, but with it being the back fence line, it is probably something for you to deal with. Though, the PVC pipe makes me think it could be an HOA issue. I imagine if the PVC pipe is used for drainage, it is likely clogged.
The HOA manager had mentioned there should be drainage into the retaining ponds/storm water drains in the community. Definitely makes me think those pipes are clogged and need recut to bring them down a bit.

The HOA manager had mentioned there should be drainage into the retaining ponds/storm water drains in the community. Definitely makes me think those pipes are clogged and need recut to bring them down a bit.
Yeah, with pine straw, leaves, grass clippings, etc. clogs aren't that uncommon.

Typically the HOA will/can only fix something like that if they own the land in which the pipes are located.

New home down here has drainage issues along the back fence line shared with neighbors. It was graded when built per city code to allow for storm runoff but every rain storm I’m left with 2 days of standing water, assuming it doesn’t rain again which never happens. Is this an HOA issue, city issue or me as a homeowner issue? There are pvc pipes laid vertically under the fence line to what I assume would be to drain into a larger drainage pipe but they’re obviously not working and for whatever reason they’re all above ground not flush. (Probably eroded away with all the standing water).

Any recommendations of information is greatly appreciated it. French drain to the street isn’t really an option because it would be flowing back up hill.

It'll stop raining every day in October.

Reactions: BlIIlken2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT