ADVERTISEMENT

Florida police open fire on unarmed suspect after confusing bouncing acorn for gunshot

SoProudNole

HR Legend
Jan 19, 2004
Holy shit.

Mr Hernandez, who served two tours of Afghanistan as an officer but did not see direct combat, yelled “shots fired” repeatedly while discharging a volley of bullets at the vehicle.

When his colleague, Sergeant Beth Roberts, shouted to check if he was safe, Mr Hernandez groaned as he collapsed on his side and answered: “I’m hit! I’m hit!”

“He shot through the car,” Mr Hernandez added, pulling himself on his hands and knees to drag himself behind a nearby vehicle.

Believing her colleague had been shot as he stumbled around on the street, Ms Roberts then opened fire on the car herself.

Trapped on the back seat and wearing handcuffs, Mr Jackson said he could only slump down as the back windscreen shattered to avoid “getting shot in the head”.

“I’m good,” Mr Hernandez shouted as he sheltered behind a grey Tesla, gun still in hand. “I feel weird but I’m good… It might have hit my vest.”

Interviewed after the incident by Michael Hogan, an investigator, the deputy said he had “definitely” heard a “suppressed weapon” firing.

“I felt an impact on my right side, like upper torso area…my legs just give out,” he claimed.

When shown images from his bodycam footage of the acorn hitting his car, Mr Hernandez asked: “Acorn?” Mr Hogan confirmed: “Acorn.”

Link

It sounds like he has some serious PTSD?
That's what I was thinking too. Which is further reason he shouldn't be allowed in law enforcement. This could have easily ended up with a handcuffed person being shot to death because a nut fell from a tree. PTSD is a horrible thing, but there's certain occupations you shouldn't be allowed to participate in if you've got it. One of those occupations would be being a law enforcement officer.

Can't believe he started rolling around on the ground saying, 'I'm hit!', when he was the only one who fired any shots.
FWIW, thankfully he resigned, because the police probably would have tried to find a way to keep him on the force.

Reactions: McLovin32
The suspect:
black-squirrel-acorn-6829405.jpg

Victim shot at 22 times files lawsuit after Okaloosa County deputy mistakes acorn falling for gunshot

Reactions: Pinehawk
Can't believe he started rolling around on the ground saying, 'I'm hit!', when he was the only one who fired any shots.
FWIW, thankfully he resigned, because the police probably would have tried to find a way to keep him on the force.
Probably resigned and is trying to get another job in a different jurisdiction.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT