ADVERTISEMENT

Florida stops recognizing some driver's licenses from 3 New England states

TheCainer

HR Legend
Sep 23, 2003

The crackdown on out-of-state licenses is part of larger immigration legislation signed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis​

By Staff Reports • Published July 8, 2023 • Updated on July 8, 2023 at 11:26 pm​

0:34

0:34/ 4:16

Expand

NBC Universal, Inc.
The Family Pantry of Cape Cod in Harwich is dedicated to helping feed people and help them during difficult times. The Champions in Action initiative supports nonprofits that are creating lasting change in their communities.
Certain classes of driver's licenses from five states, including three in New England, are no longer valid in Florida under a new immigration law.
The bill prohibits the issuance of a driver's license to anyone who does not provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S. and specifies that out-of-state driver's licenses issued exclusively to undocumented immigrants are invalid in Florida.
Anyone presenting an invalid out-of-state driver's license at a traffic stop may receive a citation. The new law affects some drivers from Connecticut, Rhode Island and Vermont.

0:30
CT, RI, VT driver privilege cards invalid in Florida
The crackdown on out-of-state licenses is part of larger immigration legislation signed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis
The crackdown on out-of-state licenses is part of larger immigration legislation signed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis that went into effect on July 1.
"Someone who is in our country illegally and has violated our laws should not possess a government-issued ID which allows them access to state-funded services and other privileges afforded to lawful residents,” DeSantis said in a statement.
Advocates have long argued that providing driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants increases public safety.
"The truth of the matter is people are driving back-and-forth from work to home," Werner Oyanadel, executive director of the Connecticut's Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission, said in 2014, as the state opened license applications to undocumented immigrants. He said the difference under the new law would be that those driver's are properly trained. Like other drivers, they must register their vehicles and prove they have purchased insurance
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles published a list of out-of-state license classes that are invalid in Florida:
  • Connecticut licenses that indicate "Not For Federal Identification"
  • Delaware licenses that indicate "Driving Privilege Only" or "Not Valid for Identification"
  • Hawaii licenses that indicate "Limited Purpose Driver’s License" or "Limited Purpose Instruction Permit" or "Limited Purpose Provisional Driver’s License" or "Not Valid for use for official Federal purposes"
  • Rhode Island licenses that indicate "Not for Federal Identification" or "Driver Privilege Card" or "Driver Privilege Permit"
  • Vermont licenses that indicate "Not for REAL ID Purposes Driver’s Privilege Card" or "Not for REAL ID Purposes Junior Driver’s Privilege Card" or "Not for REAL ID Purposes Learner’s Privilege Card"
About 20 states offer driver's licenses to people who in the country without immigration authorization; Massachusetts opened applications on July 1.

2:51
Mass. RMV expecting higher demand for road tests after new license law takes effect
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles is expecting higher demand for road tests as a new law allowing undocumented immigrants to acquire a driver's license takes effect.
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles noted in a release this week that the list of invalidated licenses was subject to change.
The bill, SB 1718, also requires private companies with over 25 employees to use E-Verify, an online employment verification system, to prove workers meet employment eligibility standards. Penalties will be applied to employers who knowingly have immigrants without documentation working for them, with the severity dependent on how many undocumented immigrants were employed.
Additionally, Florida hospitals that accept Medicaid will be required to document whether or not a patient is a United States citizen, and whether or not the patient is an undocumented immigrant.
However, neither citizenship nor legal status will affect their medical care, and undocumented patients will not be reported to immigration authorities.
Critics have said the new immigration legislation is among the harshest state laws in the country and makes life harder for Florida’s roughly 775,000 undocumented immigrants.

More on undocumented immigrants driving​

https://www.necn.com/news/local/flo...s-licenses-from-3-new-england-states/3009609/

The crackdown on out-of-state licenses is part of larger immigration legislation signed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis​

By Staff Reports • Published July 8, 2023 • Updated on July 8, 2023 at 11:26 pm​

Expand

NBC Universal, Inc.
The Family Pantry of Cape Cod in Harwich is dedicated to helping feed people and help them during difficult times. The Champions in Action initiative supports nonprofits that are creating lasting change in their communities.
Certain classes of driver's licenses from five states, including three in New England, are no longer valid in Florida under a new immigration law.
The bill prohibits the issuance of a driver's license to anyone who does not provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S. and specifies that out-of-state driver's licenses issued exclusively to undocumented immigrants are invalid in Florida.
Anyone presenting an invalid out-of-state driver's license at a traffic stop may receive a citation. The new law affects some drivers from Connecticut, Rhode Island and Vermont.

The crackdown on out-of-state licenses is part of larger immigration legislation signed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis
The crackdown on out-of-state licenses is part of larger immigration legislation signed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis that went into effect on July 1.
"Someone who is in our country illegally and has violated our laws should not possess a government-issued ID which allows them access to state-funded services and other privileges afforded to lawful residents,” DeSantis said in a statement.
Advocates have long argued that providing driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants increases public safety.
"The truth of the matter is people are driving back-and-forth from work to home," Werner Oyanadel, executive director of the Connecticut's Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission, said in 2014, as the state opened license applications to undocumented immigrants. He said the difference under the new law would be that those driver's are properly trained. Like other drivers, they must register their vehicles and prove they have purchased insurance
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles published a list of out-of-state license classes that are invalid in Florida:
  • Delaware licenses that indicate "Driving Privilege Only" or "Not Valid for Identification"
  • Hawaii licenses that indicate "Limited Purpose Driver’s License" or "Limited Purpose Instruction Permit" or "Limited Purpose Provisional Driver’s License" or "Not Valid for use for official Federal purposes"
  • Rhode Island licenses that indicate "Not for Federal Identification" or "Driver Privilege Card" or "Driver Privilege Permit"
  • Vermont licenses that indicate "Not for REAL ID Purposes Driver’s Privilege Card" or "Not for REAL ID Purposes Junior Driver’s Privilege Card" or "Not for REAL ID Purposes Learner’s Privilege Card"
About 20 states offer driver's licenses to people who in the country without immigration authorization; Massachusetts opened applications on July 1.

Mass. RMV expecting higher demand for road tests after new license law takes effect
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles is expecting higher demand for road tests as a new law allowing undocumented immigrants to acquire a driver's license takes effect.
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles noted in a release this week that the list of invalidated licenses was subject to change.
The bill, SB 1718, also requires private companies with over 25 employees to use E-Verify, an online employment verification system, to prove workers meet employment eligibility standards. Penalties will be applied to employers who knowingly have immigrants without documentation working for them, with the severity dependent on how many undocumented immigrants were employed.
Additionally, Florida hospitals that accept Medicaid will be required to document whether or not a patient is a United States citizen, and whether or not the patient is an undocumented immigrant.
However, neither citizenship nor legal status will affect their medical care, and undocumented patients will not be reported to immigration authorities.
Critics have said the new immigration legislation is among the harshest state laws in the country and makes life harder for Florida’s roughly 775,000 undocumented immigrants.

https://www.necn.com/news/local/flo...s-licenses-from-3-new-england-states/3009609/
60% of U.S. states (according to the article) do not offer drivers licenses to people in this country without immigration authorization.

Undoubtedly many of these are blue states. Undoubtedly many of these states have Democrat governors. Strange none of this board's lefties have chimed in about how hateful THEY are.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
This is all just using Florida as political theatre to win the GOP primary, but it doesn't make any sense. I want someone to beat Trump and DeSantis seems like the best option to do that, yet he seems to be trying to go even further right of Trump and all in on woke/culture war stuff.

Does he think that's the path to win the primaries? Because it certainly isn't going to help in the general.

Just another reason to not go there. Does any other state not honor a driver’s license from another state?

Reactions: artradley

Expand

NBC Universal, Inc.

...yeah....I'm pretty certain there's a "reciprocity" statute here that makes this unconstitutional. Your issued license in any state is valid in every state.

Reactions: artradley
Just another reason to not go there. Does any other state not honor a driver’s license from another state?
Pretty sure it is not "legal" to do that.

What FL is trying to do, it crack down on licenses issued to illegals. But that likewise violates reciprocity laws.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
This is all just using Florida as political theatre to win the GOP primary, but it doesn't make any sense. I want someone to beat Trump and DeSantis seems like the best option to do that, yet he seems to be trying to go even further right of Trump and all in on woke/culture war stuff.

Does he think that's the path to win the primaries? Because it certainly isn't going to help in the general.

He seems to be going out of his way to cater to the folks further and further on the right. And it seems to play well in FL. But I think he is way over estimating how it will play in other states, certainly reds that are more moderate, as well as instantly pushing moderates and libs away.

I don't think he can win the primaries regardless against Trump. He may be hoping the legal system removes Trump from the primary and then try to appeal to the knuckleheads who love what Trump represents.

Reactions: ThorneStockton

What FL is trying to do, it crack down on licenses issued to illegals. But that likewise violates reciprocity laws.

Guess it really depends on how the reciprocity laws are written. And how the other states have described the licenses. Clearly they are giving a "driving privilege" card. It isn't a "drivers license" per se, so the way the laws are written will be an interesting debate.

Besides trolling the libs and scoring points on the immigration is our major problem crowd, I wonder what <actual> problem it solves. How many of the "privilege" drivers get insurance and would not have insurance yet be driving regardless.

Drivers license reciprocity laws are not absolute. There are exceptions. For example, I have an Ohio drivers license and several years ago I got a speeding ticket in New York state. I didn’t pay it by the due date so they sent me a letter saying that if I didn’t pay it within a certain number of days they would suspend my driving privileges in New York. It wouldn’t have affected my driving privileges in Ohio or any other state. Just New York.

Additionally, if a teenager is licensed in one state and a nearby state has a higher minimum age for driving, that person cannot drive in the other state until they reach that age.

So it seems entirely possible to me that Florida could pass a law that if you commit a moving violation and it is determined during the course of the traffic stop that you are an undocument immigrant, they can cite you for not having a drivers license that is valid in Florida.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
It isn't a "drivers license" per se
It is an issued driver's license.

It does not extend to "proof of citizenship/lawful residency" privileges, which is what many licenses now do (e.g. OTHER functions).

Driver's licenses have been extended to cover multiple purposes; one state claiming they will not honor a valid driver's license from another state is a no-go, per reciprocity statutes.

Drivers license reciprocity laws are not absolute. There are exceptions. For example, I have an Ohio drivers license and several years ago I got a speeding ticket in New York state. I didn’t pay it by the due date so they sent me a letter saying that if I didn’t pay it within a certain number of days they would suspend my driving privileges in New York. It wouldn’t have affected my driving privileges in Ohio or any other state. Just New York.
LOLWUT?

This has nothing to do with honoring the issued license from another state, Cletus.

Additionally, if a teenager is licensed in one state and a nearby state has a higher minimum age for driving, that person cannot drive in the other state until they reach that age.

So it seems entirely possible to me that Florida could pass a law that if you commit a moving violation and it is determined during the course of the traffic stop that you are an undocument immigrant, they can cite you for not having a drivers license that is valid in Florida.

Did you ever pay that ticket?

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
LOLWUT?

This has nothing to do with honoring the issued license from another state, Cletus.
It has everything to do with whether or states are required to honor all drivers licenses from other states.

If State A issues a drivers license to a teenager and State B says that person is too young to drive in their state then they don’t have to honor that drivers license.

It stands to reason then that Florida has the right to say that if it’s not even legal for you to be in this country then it’s not legal for you to drive on their roads.

Reactions: The Tradition
It has everything to do with whether or states are required to honor all drivers licenses from other states.

If State A issues a drivers license to a teenager and State B says that person is too young to drive in their state then they don’t have to honor that drivers license.
Good lord. This is not what we are talking about, dipshit.

There is a Driver's License Compact agreement among states.

If FL wants to "opt out", they may be able to do that; they cannot randomly pass laws that violate that reciprocity agreement.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
Yes. It was a horseshit ticket but I paid it anyway so I wouldn’t have to go through the hassle of getting my driving privileges reinstated in New York.
Tickets/violations in other states can also count against you in your own state, based on the reciprocity agreements. In case you were unaware of that...

Driver's licenses have been extended to cover multiple purposes; one state claiming they will not honor a valid driver's license from another state is a no-go, per reciprocity statutes.
Not true. A simple Google search found this:

"However, there are some exceptions to this reciprocity. For example, some states may require additional documentation or testing before recognizing an out-of-state license. Additionally, some states may not recognize a license from another state if the driver has a history of traffic violations or other driving offenses. In some cases, non-resident drivers may be required to obtain a temporary or reciprocal license if they plan to stay in the state for an extended period of time."

Also.....the Florida legislation only applies to certain classes of licenses.

Last edited:
License reciprocity isn’t a guarantee. You see it all the time with professional licenses. You can be a practicing dentist in Iowa for 20 years with no disciplinary history and you’ll find it very difficult to get a license to practice in Florida. Similar with licenses like CPAs. Florida has many restrictive licensing laws for those wanting to come in from other states.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT