ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Supreme Court Approves Nov 2024 Abortion Ballot Initiative

TC Nole OX

HB Legend
Mar 29, 2002

GKG1jdmWAAAfy_z

Florida Supreme Court is trending

Unfortunately, the state legislature is so thoroughly gerrymandered that there are few, if any, republican seats at risk. This should be a big problem for Orange Jesus but I'm sure the Jim Crow 2.0 Florida legislature and Governor Meatball Ron will scheme up a way to send pro-TRUMP electors to DC in the event that Biden wins the state.

I forgot about that ghoul being on the ballot this year. I'd love to see him get sent packing,
it will be very very interesting to see senate polling there in the next couple of weeks. there's not a lot of public data to date, but the most recent only showed scott with a few points advantage (though a D sponsored poll/pollster).

Since at least 1989, FL right of privacy based on state constitution protected abortion rights. Today the Court says privacy right is no longer found in same constitutional text. Poof.
ah, gotcha!

I feel your pain, though, while i won't pretend to have read the most recent or whatever previous decision existed, I suppose I'd be willing to bet $5 that the previous FL right was premised in some measure on construing a fairly broad state constitutional provision consistent with the federal principles. if that were actually the case, I suppose it's fair game.

All that said, i continue to believe that the pro choice side is going to win a very strong majority of ballot initiatives, and some day will wonder why they ever hated localized democracy so much. all they'll really have left to do is ignore a handful of states that they never really would be caught dead in anyway.

Yep, Rick Scott's seat may well be in play now.
This is true Democracy.
Abortion is a state issue according to Dobbs. This only affects Rick Scott if bortion rights folks turn out in large numbers and vote by party.

This is why Kimmie is fighting so hard to keep women's reproductive health off of the ballot. For 50 years the battle cry was to return the decision making to the states. Turns out they didn't really want the people to have a say in things.
Or they just didn't want innocent human life ended.

Sorry, but it's just not that absolute.

Certainly a bodily autonomy principle is a presumptive starting point in a society that purports to have liberty as one of its core values. But like most presumptions around autonomy, in the real world of law and regulation, they are not unbounded, and are subject to reconciliation and limitation vis a vis competing core values. The simple fact is that we regulate people's bodily autonomy all the time, in a whole manner of health, safety, and yes, even moral, scenarios.

It's perfectly fair to argue that the presumption in favor of liberty has not or should not be overcome in this or others context; indeed, I have some sympathy for that argument in this context. But to suggest that it is absolute and unrebuttable is just juvenile.

LOL the only way the Democrats could win Florida is this being on the ballot. Desantis is an idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT