ADVERTISEMENT

Florida v. California 2019-2022.

Florida had more deaths from covid than California did. Seems keeping things open wasn't in the best interest of his constituents.

Great job, Ron.

Lol you still think government mandates had anything to do with deaths related to Covid. How 2021 of you. Even team Blue has moved on from that talking point.
This lie.

Refute it then.
So a double no.

Michael Buble Check GIF by bubly

Lol you still think government mandates had anything to do with deaths related to Covid. How 2021 of you. Even team Blue has moved on from that talking point.
This lie.
I know that listening to politicians over medical and science professionals killed more Republicans than Democrats.

****ing idiots.

I know that listening to politicians over medical and science professionals killed more Republicans than Democrats.

****ing idiots.

That was because many Republicans were dumb enough not take the jab. Had nothing to do with mask mandates or lockdowns.

Joe you are changing the argument from
What was originally posted.

Seems to me that you are picking and choosing the year range that most benefits your argument. Because for some odd reason you don't want to look at the real GDP growth from the most recent year, you just want to look at specifically 2019 to 2022.

Which admittedly Floridia might have done slightly better in that time period . . . at the cost of lives. As CA has better COVID deaths per capita.

Florida 404 per 100,000, Cali 256 per 100,000.

If we expand that out based on population of Florida than Florida had a slight temporary advantage in GDP growth at the cost of around 32,000 lives.

Was it worth it given that now that COVID has passed California has raced out to the lead again in 2022??? Those 32,000 people are never coming back. However California's GDP growth has come back.

DeSantis:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Seems to me that you are picking and choosing the year range that most benefits your argument. Because for some odd reason you don't want to look at the real GDP growth from the most recent year, you just want to look at specifically 2019 to 2022.

Which admittedly Floridia might have done slightly better in that time period . . . at the cost of lives. As CA has better COVID deaths per capita.
"At the cost of lives"

This is simply not true and you certainly have nothing to back that up. There is no correlation to more deaths as result of Covid and opening the economy up.

"At the cost of lives"

This is simply not true and you certainly have nothing to back that up. There is no correlation to more deaths as result of Covid and opening the economy up.

IDK red states appear to heavily populate the top of the COVID deaths per capita list.

Have dems been talking about Newsome great for POTUS? I haven’t seen it as a huge discussion. I will say from a distance, it seems like Newsome has tried to tackle California’s biggest problem, housing costs, by trying to force for more building. However, local governments and homeowners have pushed back.

I think DeSantis can take some credit for keeping things more open during COVID, but Florida’s growth is mostly weather, beach, etc. related in my opinion. I’m aware that CA has those things but Florida is cheaper (housing and yes, taxes). Will be interesting to see Florida’s growth going forward as its gotten more expensive for housing and home insurance, but maybe people will just move more inland in FL.
I’d argue that CA’s (especially SoCal) biggest problem is water, which has a lot to do with rising housing costs.

Desalination would solve much of the water crisis, but as it stands, with current technology it’s not particularly efficient, it’s certainly not cheap, and it could have have negative effects on Pacific marine life. Maybe a more effective, environmentally-friendly design is in the cards, but people want issues addressed now, not in 20-30 years.

I like both places. Pretty much all of the states I’ve been to other than those are toilets compared to each of them. Haven’t been to Hawaii.

As a person that grew up in what is generally considered the true shithole of California (central valley, representing), I always find these posts about how awful San Fran is to be pretty comical.

As a person that grew up in what is generally considered the true shithole of California (central valley, representing), I always find these posts about how awful San Fran is to be pretty comical.
As a person who has lived in both states, I can tell you that I've never been run off the road by a blue hair here in CA. Had it happen 3 times one summer in FL.

Florida is doing AWFUL. We suck.
Things are so out of whack that after bears DO shit in the woods they go to the beach and take a swim.
So please - stay away. Don’t come here. It’s not safe.
When y’all leavin?

Always curious to me when all of the low tax states brag about companies moving for tax purposes. How many jobs are those companies really moving. Are they just moving HQ's and some office drones. Similar to how Delaware has all of the credit card HQ's .

Reactions: BelemNole
No he didn’t. There is no evidence that lockdowns and school closures did anything to prevent deaths. Only the jab did.
While I think DeSantis was smart keeping things more open during COVID, shouldn’t he take some criticism that he wasn’t able to (or didn’t try hard enough) to get more Floridans to get vaccinated? One downside in keeping things completely open and talking down the risk of COVID is that people take the message that it is so low risk, vaccination isn’t necessary or does more harm than good.

While I think DeSantis was smart keeping things more open during COVID, shouldn’t he take some criticism that he wasn’t able to (or didn’t try hard enough) to get more Floridans to get vaccinated? One downside in keeping things completely open and talking down the risk of COVID is that people take the message that it is so low risk, vaccination isn’t necessary or does more harm than good.
Agreed. DeSantis warrants criticism in regards to that but he is not anti vaccine, he just doesn't believe it should be mandated, which we now know is the right side of the argument as the jab doesn't stop the spread of Covid.

Cali has an enormous global economy and will continue to grow and I have no problem with that. In fact America in general benefits from the Golden State’s success.
Florida has become the third largest state for different reasons and the two will never have the same dynamic.
Covid changed a lot of things in every single state and it will therefore change the country overall. It’s still “shaking out” and the effects will be felt for years.

Most telling statistic is population change. California is losing hundreds of thousands of citizens while Florida is gaining. Leftist policies are leading people to flee en masse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT