ADVERTISEMENT

South Florida Swamped by Abandoned Airbnb Properties – The State’s Short-Term Rental Boom Doomed

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
In recent years, the short-term rental market, epitomized by platforms like Airbnb, has witnessed explosive growth, particularly in popular tourist destinations like South Florida. However, this seemingly lucrative trend is showing signs of a significant shift, with implications for both property investors and local communities.

According to real estate expert Michael Bordenaro, the availability of Airbnb listings in Broward County, Florida, surged by a staggering 71% between 2019 and 2023. Yet, despite the proliferation of listings, only 30% of them received bookings in the last 12 months.

This phenomenon points to a potential oversaturation of the short-term rental market, with implications for property owners and the broader housing market.

In response to the growing concerns surrounding short-term rentals, both the Florida Senate and House introduced bills aimed at empowering local governments to regulate these properties effectively. Senate Bill 280, for instance, proposes the establishment of vacation rental registration programs and the imposition of caps on maximum occupancy.

Such measures reflect a broader trend of municipalities seeking greater control over short-term rental activities to address community concerns, including noise disturbances and neighborhood disruption.

The oversaturation of the short-term rental market in South Florida raises questions about the sustainability of this investment model. Bordenaro suggests that the decline in revenues experienced by some Airbnb operators – up to 50% in oversaturated markets – reflects a broader economic reality.

Factors such as excessive supply, increased regulation, and changing consumer preferences contribute to the challenges faced by property investors in the short-term rental sector.

The proliferation of Airbnb listings has tangible implications for the broader housing market in South Florida. With thousands of properties removed from the rental and sale markets to accommodate short-term rentals, the availability of housing for long-term residents diminishes. This imbalance exacerbates housing shortages and drives up prices, posing challenges for individuals and families seeking affordable housing options in the region.

s regulatory scrutiny intensifies and market dynamics evolve, property investors must navigate a changing landscape characterized by increased oversight and shifting consumer preferences.

Adapting to these changes may involve diversifying investment strategies, exploring alternative rental models, or engaging in long-term rental markets to mitigate risks associated with short-term rentals.

People in the comments share their thoughts and experiences: “Short term rentals have gotten so expensive with their additional “fees” that actual hotels are a better deal.”

Another commenter agrees: “I started staying in Airbnbs because they were cheaper than a hotel. That’s no longer the case. With Airbnbs now rivaling (if not surpassing) hotel prices, I might as well pay for the predictability and convenience of a hotel chain.”

One person added: “I have large duplexes on the road behind me that had mostly gone Airbnb. Could always count on anything from reasonably loud music too all out loud parties from Thursday to Saturday. They’re not allowed in Oakland Park, Fl which is basically inside Ft Lauderdale. It was a $500 fine but they were charging $2500 for the weekend so $500 is nothing. This is per side. That place, along with most others are now for sale. Obnoxiously stupid price, but for sale. It’s so much nicer now.”
The rise and potential decline of Airbnb in South Florida underscore the complex interplay between economic trends, regulatory frameworks, and housing market dynamics.

While short-term rentals have offered opportunities for property investors and travelers alike, their proliferation has raised concerns about community impacts and housing affordability. Moving forward, stakeholders must collaborate to strike a balance between fostering economic growth, protecting community interests, and ensuring housing accessibility for all residents.

What are your thoughts? Is the proliferation of empty Airbnb listings indicative of a broader economic downturn in South Florida?

What impact will increased regulation of short-term rentals have on the local housing market and economy? Are Airbnb investors facing a rude awakening as oversaturation leads to plummeting revenues?

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
The proliferation of Airbnb listings has tangible implications for the broader housing market in South Florida. With thousands of properties removed from the rental and sale markets to accommodate short-term rentals, the availability of housing for long-term residents diminishes. This imbalance exacerbates housing shortages and drives up prices, posing challenges for individuals and families seeking affordable housing options in the region.

Question:

A couple of years back, some company started a service whereby you could rent your personal automobile out on a day-by-day basis ... an Air B and B for cars!

Did they ever gain a foothold? Are they still in business? I have been watching for stories of people ending up with wrecked cars and cars with broken parts ... I never see any.

Question:

A couple of years back, some company started a service whereby you could rent your personal automobile out on a day-by-day basis ... an Air B and B for cars!

Did they ever gain a foothold? Are they still in business? I have been watching for stories of people ending up with wrecked cars and cars with broken parts ... I never see any.
I think you’re probably talking about Turro which is still around.

Airbnb cleaning fees can be ridiculous and I prefer the location of hotels.

I think you’re probably talking about Turro which is still around.

Airbnb cleaning fees can be ridiculous and I prefer the location of hotels.
I googled that site and priced a few cars. The prices seemed really cheap.

It looked more like a means to recover some of the investment in your car ... than to actually make any money. $40-$60 a day for slightly used Benzes, Passats, Mustang convertibles, etc. ... and your car is gone several days at a time.

I saw that article too, and it's a real bummer. It's crazy how the short-term rental boom in South Florida has led to so many abandoned properties. It's like people just saw dollar signs and didn't think about the long-term consequences. I think it's a good reminder for all of us in the rental game to be responsible and think about the impact we're having on the community. It's not just about making a quick buck – it's about being a good neighbor and taking care of the properties we're renting out.

And hey, if you ever need a hand moving out of one of those abandoned properties, maybe give https://discountmoving.ca/ a call. I've heard they're pretty reliable. But remember, always do your research and read reviews before hiring any moving company.

Last edited:
My parents winter in Florida and rent a beach front condo.

From their experience the rents have skyrocketed over the past few years to the point where many are not going.
There is always somebody to take the place of people that cannot afford it anymore.

On Marco Island people are worried about finding next year’s rental as soon as they get there in January.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT