ADVERTISEMENT

Fluorouracil Skin Treatment - Anyone Done It? Its basically chemo for your face/skin.

People use it for warts and other papillomas. Obviously, it has to be done under the supervision of a competent dermatologist. And yes, same as a chemo reagent.

Reactions: goldmom and l.todd
People use it for warts and other papillomas. Obviously, it has to be done under the supervision of a competent dermatologist. And yes, same as a chemo reagent.
Interesting... mine is to root out sun damage.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Interesting... mine is to root out sun damage.
Sun can cause hyperplasia or dysplasia, which happens before cancer. Your doctor is proactive and getting rid of damaged cells which have a tendency to become goofy and go on to form skin cancer. Good health to you.

Last edited:
I've done the levulan acid photodynamic treatment multiple times. I hadn't heard of what you're doing. I looked it up and the fluorouracil is a tougher more penetrating treatment. Hope it works well for you.

Reactions: NoleATL and GOHOX69
Sunscreen existed in the 70s.
Consistently wrong.

Was there sunscreen in the 70's?

Why didn't baking boomers slather up? Turns out, the protective sunblock that we've doused our children with is relatively new. “In the '60s and '70s all we had was suntan lotion with an SPF of 2, to take a little edge off the sun,” Dr. ... “The first SPF 15 was introduced in 1986 and 30 SPF not until the early '90s.”

Reactions: HawkMD and goldmom
Consistently wrong.

Was there sunscreen in the 70's?

Why didn't baking boomers slather up? Turns out, the protective sunblock that we've doused our children with is relatively new. “In the '60s and '70s all we had was suntan lotion with an SPF of 2, to take a little edge off the sun,” Dr. ... “The first SPF 15 was introduced in 1986 and 30 SPF not until the early '90s.”

Dude... zinc was a thing back then.

As a podiatrist, I have used it for many plantar warts. It can be very effective.

Fluorouracil is an antitumor agent from the group of antimetabolites. After intravenous administration, fluorouracil is biotransformed and distributed in rapidly proliferating tissues such as bone marrow, gastrointestinal mucosa, and tumor tissues. A particular drug's application and dosing regimen depend on its release form and other factors. The doctor determines the optimal dosage regimen. Also, a doctor should strictly observe compliance with the dosage form of a particular drug with indications for use and dosing regimen. If you're looking for advice on skin cancer treatment, at https://www.vitalskinderm.com/locations/bella-pelle/, you can get all the locations of Bella Pelle dermatology and cosmetic laser center.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
A little late to the party but, I have done it several times. First time was brutal but the results seem to be worth it, several years later had to do it again, not as bad but not good either. Really tore my face up, didn't really feel like going any where cause people thought I had some hideous disease.

A little late to the party but, I have done it several times. First time was brutal but the results seem to be worth it, several years later had to do it again, not as bad but not good either. Really tore my face up, didn't really feel like going any where cause people thought I had some hideous disease.
Did you mix it with the vitamin D ointment? Apparently, it helps work faster and more efficiently. I used both products. I went for 9 days. Definitely brutal but it was worth it. I will likely do some targeted areas in the near future. I have a derm appt on Tuesday and will discuss with my derm.

Did you mix it with the vitamin D ointment? Apparently, it helps work faster and more efficiently. I used both products. I went for 9 days. Definitely brutal but it was worth it. I will likely do some targeted areas in the near future. I have a derm appt on Tuesday and will discuss with my derm.
No vit D ointment, I need to do the effudex again tho. When I was a kid I lived at the local swimming pool from age 12 to age 16, walked beans, detasseled corn, mowed lawns and had a afternoon paper route, then as an adult had a job the required me spending 80% my time outside. I remember getting "sun burnt" many times but not alot of "blistering", looks like now I'm paying for those outside activities!
The first application I went 3 weeks and was ripped to shreds, 2 nd time was 10 - 14 days very blotchy deep redness but no scabs (the first time my face was one big scab).
Had a quarter sized piece of squamous cell carcinoma removed from my fore head to start all this.

Wow never heard of this. How long does the effects take to go away so skin returns to normal?

What is the goal of this unless you had known skin cancer?
I believe it is most often used for pre-cancerous conditions such as actinic keratosis (pre cancer cells).
Normally when I went to the dermy she would "freeze" these areas with nitrogen, but pretty soon she was freezing most of my face (a dozen or more spots), again this leaves spots all over your face for a week or 2.
So she decided to go this route (effudex cream) instead and the freezing has been reduced 98%.

Reactions: Urohawk and goldmom
Wow never heard of this. How long does the effects take to go away so skin returns to normal?
I did it for 8.5 days and my face lit up pretty well. Derm said go 7-10 days if I could but I was worried about it cleaning up for an upcoming trip so I stopped a little early. It really only took about 5 days for it to clear with some pealing.

Reactions: HIWILLE and goldmom
So instead of having spots all over for a week or two your whole face is red for a week or two?

So instead of having spots all over for a week or two your whole face is red for a week or two?
Not sure what you mean about "instead of having spots all over for a week or two"... This procedure targets sun damaged skin, brings it to the surface and it flakes away. Not all of these spots would have become skin cancer but it is believed all skin cancers start as one of these spots. Thats how my derm explained it, anyway.

Sunscreen existed in the 70s.
Not so much.
I keep a tube of Fluoracyl ointment in my med cabinet. I’ve had squamous cell skin cancers removed and some pre-cancerous stuff treated with the ointment for about ten years now. Fair skin, freckles, and Florida sun are a lethal mix.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Not so much.
I keep a tube of Fluoracyl ointment in my med cabinet. I’ve had squamous cell skin cancers removed and some pre-cancerous stuff treated with the ointment for about ten years now. Fair skin, freckles, and Florida sun are a lethal mix.
Yep... we didn't seem to have any when i was a kid... there were lotions but not with sunscreen. maybe we couldn't afford it... I grew up a poor white child with one of the richest lives possible ;)

I believe it is most often used for pre-cancerous conditions such as actinic keratosis (pre cancer cells).
Normally when I went to the dermy she would "freeze" these areas with nitrogen, but pretty soon she was freezing most of my face (a dozen or more spots), again this leaves spots all over your face for a week or 2.
So she decided to go this route (effudex cream) instead and the freezing has been reduced 98%.
Ok this makes more sense. As casual as people were about using it, I thought may be someone was doing it to take off a layer of skin for a more youthful appearance, treating old age spots, etc. That stuff is some pretty nasty stuff. We use it to take mild cancerous lesions off the penis. I've also used it to kill genital warts (professional not personal and no pics).

Not so much.
Combine that with a redhead Irish mother and you have me.

#floridianproblems

I take a break from the sun from October until April and the sun in Iowa is not nearly as harsh.
Best of luck!

Ok this makes more sense. As casual as people were about using it, I thought may be someone was doing it to take off a layer of skin for a more youthful appearance, treating old age spots, etc. That stuff is some pretty nasty stuff. We use it to take mild cancerous lesions off the penis. I've also used it to kill genital warts (professional not personal and no pics).
Uhh huh, sure. 🤣

Reactions: Urohawk
I haven't tried Fluorouracil skin treatment, but I've heard about it. It's essentially like chemo for your skin. It's known to be quite potent, and often used for treating precancerous skin lesions. However, it can come with some pretty intense side effects like redness, peeling, and discomfort, so it's not a walk in the park. Have you considered looking into alternatives like Argireline? It's a more gentle option often found in anti-aging creams. Of course, everyone's skin is different, so what works wonders for one person might not be as effective for another. It might be a good idea to have a chat with a dermatologist to explore all your options and find the best fit for your skin. They can provide personalized advice based on your skin's specific needs and help you navigate the world of skincare treatments.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom and joelbc1
Ok this makes more sense. As casual as people were about using it, I thought may be someone was doing it to take off a layer of skin for a more youthful appearance, treating old age spots, etc.
Actually, dermatologists (2 that I know) recommend it for this. I also have a history of skin cancer but my recommendation came during a cosmetic consultation. I did it and it was quite the experience.

FU5 and me are old friends. Going to the dermatologist today to get big ol’ squamous cut off the back of my neck…probably followed with a trip to the plastic surgeon. This will be my 35th excision for a basal or squamous cell….anyone use “the blue light’ therapy? I have done that a few times, too….initially that really lit up my face!
Plus now as of the past weekend, I believe I am showing a “ sun allergy rash” on my hands! I am a walking ATM for my dermatologist!

FU5 and me are old friends. Going to the dermatologist today to get big ol’ squamous cut off the back of my neck…probably followed with a trip to the plastic surgeon. This will be my 35th excision for a basal or squamous cell….anyone use “the blue light’ therapy? I have done that a few times, too….initially that really lit up my face!
Plus now as of the past weekend, I believe I am showing a “ sun allergy rash” on my hands! I am a walking ATM for my dermatologist!
I've done both the blue and red light treatments. I prefer those over Effudex.

I'm not at 35 but somewhere in the low 20s. My dermatologist is a Mohs surgeon. He closes as well as a plastic surgeon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT