ADVERTISEMENT

Fong's Pizza in CR

Then please tell the people that always tell me to go to the best __________ restaurant in Des Moines to stop sending me to inferior versions of CR restaurants. Needs and Roscoes are better than anything in Des Moines. Siamville is better than their "best" Asian food. Mas Margaritas or El Super Burrito are better than their "best" Mexican place (though that one was at least close).
I have had Need and it is great. I like it as much as Wig and Pen, or any other place in the DSM metro. But, I am not judging a city's restaurant scene on a pizza joint. Places in Des Moines or metro I would consider really good to great include:
  1. 801 Chop
  2. Simon's J Benjamin's
  3. Alba
  4. Splash
  5. Wasabi
  6. Proof
  7. Aposto
  8. Flemings
  9. RoCA
  10. Lucca
  11. Hoq
  12. Proudfoot & Bird
  13. Centro
  14. Django
  15. Latin King
  16. Greenbriar
  17. Fresko
  18. Tumea & Sons
  19. Waterfront
  20. Firebird
  21. Baru
  22. Flying Mango
  23. Baratta's
  24. Louie's wine dive
Then you have fun/good places like:
  1. The Royal Mile
  2. Hessen Haus
  3. Mullets
  4. High Life
  5. El Bait Shop
  6. Big Grove
  7. Lucky Horse
Again, this would be adorable to a Chicagoan, but that is another conversation.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I have had Need and it is great. I like it as much as Wig and Pen, or any other place in the DSM metro. But, I am not judging a city's restaurant scene on a pizza joint. Places in Des Moines or metro I would consider really good to great include:
  1. 801 Chop
  2. Simon's J Benjamin's
  3. Alba
  4. Splash
  5. Wasabi
  6. Proof
  7. Aposto
  8. Flemings
  9. RoCA
  10. Lucca
  11. Hoq
  12. Proudfoot & Bird
  13. Centro
  14. Django
  15. Latin King
  16. Greenbriar
  17. Fresko
  18. Tumea & Sons
  19. Waterfront
  20. Firebird
  21. Baru
  22. Flying Mango
  23. Baratta's
  24. Louie's wine dive
  1. The Royal Mile
  2. Hessen Haus
  3. Mullets
  4. High Life
  5. El Bait Shop
  6. Big Grove
  7. Lucky Horse

I moved away from Des Moines in 1999 and come back to visit a couple times a year so know a few on this list (and of course I know all the bars). Solid choices besides the fact that Christopher's and Donut King are not there. ;) Des Moines will forever have a hole in its heart though with the loss of Mr. Filet. The 20-something me loved leaving my office in 801 Grand and heading down to the parking garage that would capture the smell of sizzling beef from his exhaust hood for breakfast and lunch. Damn I loved that place.

RIP in pieces Mr. Filet. Love this shot of George behind the counter pointing. That's how you knew you were up!

B9318041683Z.1_20150710225449_000_GCGBAK72N.1-0.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Tenacious E
What were the DSM recommendations for best Asian and best Mexican? I have a friend who swears Cancun is the best Mexican but I have not tried it.
Cancun in Cedar Rapids? Their offshoot, Villa's Patio, is even better, IMO. Amigo was the Mexican place, and Sam's was the Chinese place that I was talking about.
  1. 801 Chop
  2. Simon's J Benjamin's
  3. Alba
  4. Splash
  5. Wasabi
  6. Proof
  7. Aposto
  8. Flemings
  9. RoCA
  10. Lucca
  11. Hoq
  12. Proudfoot & Bird
  13. Centro
  14. Django
  15. Latin King
  16. Greenbriar
  17. Fresko
  18. Tumea & Sons
  19. Waterfront
  20. Firebird
  21. Baru
  22. Flying Mango
  23. Baratta's
  24. Louie's wine dive
  1. The Royal Mile
  2. Hessen Haus
  3. Mullets
  4. High Life
  5. El Bait Shop
  6. Big Grove
  7. Lucky Horse
I've had 1, 5, 13, 22, and 24. Wasabi had a downtown CR location, and it was good, but their problem was that around the corner was little Mix Sushi in the food court that was even better. Now Mix has expanded to a big, and EXCELLENT location in downtown Marion. I'd be willing to put it up as the best Asian food in Iowa along with Siamville Thai. And with Mix gone, Izumi Sushi and Hibachi is in the old Wasabi location and is thriving.

Last edited:
Part of the issue it the area is hopping on the weekends, but during the week not so much, and those in CR that eat out during the week still flock to the chains near the mall areas. The only destination place down there is the Chrome Horse, and that crowd isn't going to eat at Fong's or other niche places before they go listen to live music and drink Busch Light.

Crosby's has a good menu, but at a higher price point than Chrome or Parlor, it's previous iteration did pretty well when it was on 1st Ave pre-flood.
I don't there was a pre-flood iteration of Crosby's since the group that opened them has only been around a few years

Cancun in Cedar Rapids? Their offshoot, Villa's Patio, is even better, IMO. Amigo was the Mexican place, and Sam's was the Chinese place that I was talking about.

I've had 1, 5, 13, 22, and 24. Wasabi had a downtown CR location, and it was good, but their problem was that around the corner was little Mix Sushi in the food court that was even better. Now Mix has expanded to a big, and EXCELLENT location in downtown Marion. I'd be willing to put it up as the best Asian food in Iowa along with Siamville Thai.
Oh, no, I didn't realize Cedar Rapids has a Cancun. This is Cancun Grill and Cantina, there is one in Urbandale and one in Ankeny. My friend swears it is the best he has ever had in the US. Plan to try it sometime. I have not been to Sam's either. For seafood lovers, I like Waterfront much more than Splash.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Oh, no, I didn't realize Cedar Rapids has a Cancun. This is Cancun Grill and Cantina, there is one in Urbandale and one in Ankeny. My friend swears it is the best he has ever had in the US. Plan to try it sometime. I have not been to Sam's either. For seafood lovers, I like Waterfront much more than Splash.
Let's not go crazy here. I recently had Cancun in Ankeny. It was pretty good Mexican food, but best in the US????

Reactions: EasyHawk

I've never understood the love for Cancun in CR. It's fine...but that's it. Average Mexican food you can get about anywhere. In CR, El Super Burrito is where it's at. I might be making a road trip today - I can hear that sizzling pan from here!

80189914_EUY3QU9fuCC7NwTMTkCejP3ZprDHfg2iRk6M5VIp7UM.jpg

Last edited:

I've had 1, 5, 13, 22, and 24. Wasabi had a downtown CR location, and it was good, but their problem was that around the corner was little Mix Sushi in the food court that was even better. Now Mix has expanded to a big, and EXCELLENT location in downtown Marion. I'd be willing to put it up as the best Asian food in Iowa along with Siamville Thai.
and I should have said my list was in no particular order, although I did put Chop #1. I don't think Wasabi is the #5 restaurant in the DSM metro, and I am not saying it is better than any sushi place in CR. It is just another arrow in the quiver of the overall scene.

Last edited:
and I should have said my list was in particular order, although I did put Chop #1. I don't think Wasabi is the #5 restaurant in the DSM metro, and I am not saying it is better than any sushi place in CR. It is just another arrow in the quiver of the overall scene.

That's how I would put it as well. Neither CR or DSM have a place that is knock your socks off amazing - you were dead on when you said a Chicagoan would find this thread adorable. Who has better mexican, asian, indian, pizza, burgers, etc. is all in the eye of the beholder. DSM has the "better" food scene purely because of numbers and variety. I'll give CR credit, 20-25 years ago it was chain central. Sure, you had RG Books, Winifreds, Bostons....the Flying Weenie, but CR folk loved them some Olive Garden. It's much better now and a testament to the growth of options that we're even having this conversation.

Can't we just say all restaurants in Iowa are uniformly mediocre?

Pretty much. Unless we're talking tenderloins. Then GTFO with your mediocrity comment and meet me at fight bar bro!

Edit to add: Mediocre to me doesn't mean bad. We have a lot of restaurants producing very tasty meals. We just don't have extraordinary food and dining experiences. How many James Beard award winning chefs in Iowa? How many Michelin stars are out there? There's your answer.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GOHOX69
No. I have had lots of bad, mediocre, good, and excellent food in Iowa. Some of the best food I have had is actually in your neck of the woods at Chez Grace.
There are 0 michelin starred restaurants in Iowa. I have heard of Chez Grace. Some say it's great, some not so good.

Pretty much. Unless we're talking tenderloins. Then GTFO with your mediocrity comment and meet me at fight bar bro!

Edit to add: Mediocre to me doesn't mean bad. We have a lot of restaurants producing very tasty meals. We just don't have extraordinary food and dining experiences. How many James Beard award winning chefs in Iowa? How many Michelin stars are out there? There's your answer.
That's precisely my point. Mediocre doesn't mean bad. It just means not so super awesome.

This is a pretty comprehensive list of Des Moines restaurants. Some are rated way too high, some are rated way too low. But, it is a pretty good list. Does not even go into the restaurants in West Des Moines, Johnston, and Urbandale (not mentioning Ankeny because there is nothing here I am particularly proud of).

Below is their list for Cedar Rapids. I am not hating on Cedar Rapids, I enjoy it. But it is not in the same league as Des Moines in terms of restaurants. In turn, Des Moines is not in the same league as bigger metros. It is just a numbers game.

Went to the Clipper for a beer yesterday and was told Mullets is coming next door. I've heard good things about the one in Des Moines but have never been.

No. I have had lots of bad, mediocre, good, and excellent food in Iowa. Some of the best food I have had is actually in your neck of the woods at Chez Grace.

I have been so disappointed the two times I've been. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't fantastic. I love French cooking. I'm still willing to try it though because so many people love it.

I've never understood the love for Cancun in CR. It's fine...but that's it. Average Mexican food you can get about anywhere. In CR, El Super Burrito is where it's at. I might be making a road trip today - I can hear that sizzling pan from here!

80189914_EUY3QU9fuCC7NwTMTkCejP3ZprDHfg2iRk6M5VIp7UM.jpg
This is 100% correct.

• Love
Reactions: Hawki97
That's precisely my point. Mediocre doesn't mean bad. It just means not so super awesome.

You also have to realize that Michelin stars and James Beard award winning chefs means something to a very small subset of people. So putting restaurants on blast as "mediocre" is going to get a negative reaction.

I travelled internationally for years with basically a bottomless expense account. I understand both sides.

And I'm not trying to be snobby. My preference actually is to go to "mediocre" places. I don't really fit in with the Michelin crowd.

• Haha
The biggest problem with the Iowa restaurant scene, IMO, is the Iowa consumer.

They reward mediocrity and rank affordability as more important than quality. They also are cautious about unique and different food.

That is why we get dozens and dozens of variations on bar food and bistros and very little that is truly interesting.

You also have to realize that Michelin stars and James Beard award winning chefs means something to a very small subset of people. So putting restaurants on blast as "mediocre" is going to get a negative reaction.

I travelled internationally for years with basically a bottomless expense account. I understand both sides.

And I'm not trying to be snobby. My preference actually is to go to "mediocre" places. I don't really fit in with the Michelin crowd.
99 percent of my posts draw a negative reaction ;) but I understand your viewpoints. I love the greasy spoon as much as the 2000 dollar a person meal. Best sushi I ever had was in a fish market where the tuna basically was butchered in front of me. In Japan. So I get it.

I'm not saying all food in Iowa is crap but because we are a small state with less dining dollars and smaller cities, many renowned chefs don't work here and if they achieve any level of fame, bolt.

99 percent of my posts draw a negative reaction ;) but I understand your viewpoints. I love the greasy spoon as much as the 2000 dollar a person meal. Best sushi I ever had was in a fish market where the tuna basically was butchered in front of me. In Japan. So I get it.

I'm not saying all food in Iowa is crap but because we are a small state with less dining dollars and smaller cities, many renowned chefs don't work here and if they achieve any level of fame, bolt.

The best bet for top chefs to stay in Iowa is for one in a larger market to get caught up in the gaze of an Iowa Belle and she makes him come back home to raise kids...so he get's stuck here.*

*Only used the man as the chef because women tend to be the ones who want to move back closer to mom and dad. Screw you HORT PC brigade.

Random thoughts on the DSM area restaurant scene, some of which my friends definitely don't agree with:
Tasty Taco is really good for quick Mexican (Nada es Imposible) - I do know people that disagree. Jethro's BBQ is very overrated. Everything is blah to ok, there are certainly better BBQ places. B-Bop's is a good choice for a quick burger. For a fantastic tenderloin, Goldie's in Prairie City is the place. Fexlix & Oscar's is really good pizza. For clam chowder and fresh seafood, Waterfront Market. Big Steer in Altoona is always good for steak.

The best bet for top chefs to stay in Iowa is for one in a larger market to get caught up in the gaze of an Iowa Belle and she makes him come back home to raise kids...so he get's stuck here.*

*Only used the man as the chef because women tend to be the ones who want to move back closer to mom and dad. Screw you HORT PC brigade.
Well women make men do productive and/or stupid things. It doesn't apply just to chefs :)

They reward mediocrity and rank affordability as more important than quality. They also are cautious about unique and different food.

That is why we get dozens and dozens of variations on bar food and bistros and very little that is truly interesting.
thats-how-we-roll-snoop-dogg.gif

• Love

Case in point, my no pic wife. Her favorite go-to is Cheesecake Factory. Specifically, she like 2 dishes there. I have tried about everything, and it is all OK, but it is quantity over quality. The good thing is she gets 3 meals out of one order and I get 2. But I never think, "wow, that was good." Typically she asks where I want to go and I name a couple places and she says, "let's go to Cheesecake Factory." And if it is not that, it is Rosati's Pizza for takeout. Again, it is fine, I'm not opposed, but it isn't the best pizza around.

Reactions: torbee
Case in point, my no pic wife. Her favorite go-to is Cheesecake Factory. Specifically, she like 2 dishes there. I have tried about everything, and it is all OK, but it is quantity over quality. The good thing is she gets 3 meals out of one order and I get 2. But I never think, "wow, that was good." Typically she asks where I want to go and I name a couple places and she says, "let's go to Cheesecake Factory." And if it is not that, it is Rosati's Pizza for takeout. Again, it is fine, I'm not opposed, but it isn't the best pizza around.
Here in the Quad Cities, it's like a competition to see who can do the best take on "semi-fancy" bar food: Central Standard, Barrel House, Steel Plow, Bent River, The Combine, Foundry Food and Tap, Parkside Grill, River House Bar & Grill, The Tangled Wood, Treehouse Pub and Grill, etc., etc.

It's basically all the same shit in a different costume.

Then you have the barely mediocre Heart of America restaurants that people here inexplicably love; Iowa Machine Shed, Johnny's Italian Steakhouse, Thunder Bay Grille --- all are fine, have decent atmosphere, but all use the same pre-packaged TPC meat and other products that are average-at-best.

Last edited:
Here in the Quad Cities, it's like a competition to see who can do the best take on "semi-fancy" bar food: Central Standard, Barrel House, Steel Plow, Bent River, The Combine, Foundry Food and Tap, Parkside Grill, River House Bar & Grill, The Tangled Wood, Treehouse Pub and Grill, etc., etc.

It's basically all the same shit in a different costume.

Then you have the barely mediocre Heart of America restaurants that people here inexplicably love; Iowa Machine Shed, Johnny's Italian Steakhouse, Thunder Bay Grille --- all are fine, have decent atmosphere, but all use the same pre-packaged TPC meat and other products that are average-at-best.

Your first paragraph nails it. Highlighted is my favorite of those that I've been to. Haven't tried Steel Plow or Combine yet.

The way I see it, DSM is a AAA city in baseball, basketball, and hockey. As Andy Fales joked, I think our airport is international in the sense we probably import maple syrup from Canada. So we have a AAA airport. And, we have a AAA dining scene. Certainly not on the level as the worst team in the NBA/MLB/NHL, but a solid AAA scene with pretty damn good food if you are willing to pay for it. But no, we do not have Michelin starred restaurants, which would be on par with the New York Yankees, in my analogy.

Random thoughts on the DSM area restaurant scene, some of which my friends definitely don't agree with:
Tasty Taco is really good for quick Mexican (Nada es Imposible) - I do know people that disagree. Jethro's BBQ is very overrated. Everything is blah to ok, there are certainly better BBQ places. B-Bop's is a good choice for a quick burger. For a fantastic tenderloin, Goldie's in Prairie City is the place. Fexlix & Oscar's is really good pizza. For clam chowder and fresh seafood, Waterfront Market. Big Steer in Altoona is always good for steak.

This man knew how to BBQ in DSM. Sad day when he passed and his little place on SE14th closed down. RIP in pieces Big Daddy. The sauces remain good, but they were better when he was smoking up the ribs they went on.

image-17-orig_orig.jpg

Reactions: EasyHawk
The way I see it, DSM is a AAA city in baseball, basketball, and hockey. As Andy Fales joked, I think our airport is international in the sense we probably import maple syrup from Canada. So we have a AAA airport. And, we have a AAA dining scene. Certainly not on the level as the worst team in the NBA/MLB/NHL, but a solid AAA scene with pretty damn good food if you are willing to pay for it. But no, we do not have Michelin starred restaurants, which would be on par with the New York Yankees, in my analogy.
Des Moines tries to punch above its weight and that in and of itself is amusing.

Yep, and there ain't nothin' wrong with a little triple a ball!

Reactions: Tenacious E
Des Moines tries to punch above its weight and that in and of itself is amusing.
I think it's admirable.

For too long, Iowa was the only upper Midwest state without a fairly major metro area (Minnesota has Minneapolis-St. Paul, Wisconsin has Milwaukee, Illinois has Chicago, Indiana has Indianapolis, Michigan has Detroit, Missouri has St. Louis and K.C.).

I think it's a good thing for Des Moines to aspire to be a bigger city. Will it achieve it ultimately? Maybe not --- but there is no reason it can't surpass Omaha in terms of amenities, decent restaurants and general atmosphere. That's not a huge bar, lol.

I think it's admirable.

For too long, Iowa was the only upper Midwest state without a fairly major metro area (Minnesota has Minneapolis-St. Paul, Wisconsin has Milwaukee, Illinois has Chicago, Indiana has Indianapolis, Michigan has Detroit, Missouri has St. Louis and K.C.).

I think it's a good thing for Des Moines to aspire to be a bigger city. Will it achieve it ultimately? Maybe not --- but there is no reason it can't surpass Omaha in terms of amenities, decent restaurants and general atmosphere. That's not a huge bar, lol.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with trying to improve. Des Moines is a billion times better than when I was a young professional there.

I think it's admirable.

For too long, Iowa was the only upper Midwest state without a fairly major metro area (Minnesota has Minneapolis-St. Paul, Wisconsin has Milwaukee, Illinois has Chicago, Indiana has Indianapolis, Missouri has St. Louis and K.C.).

I think DSM the restaurants are on par with or better than those in Omaha, which is just another AAA city, despite their Disney Worldesque zoo and Warren Buffet millionaires.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with trying to improve. Des Moines is a billion times better than when I was a young professional there.
We've been here about 20 years. It has changed a LOT since then, as have the surrounding areas. When I moved here there was no Wells Fargo arena, no Jordan Creek mall/area and all of its development, Ankeny was 35K rather than 75K or whatever it is now, there was no Court Avenue entertainment/food district (at least not anything resembling what is there now), there was no Big Grove, etc.

Last edited:
I think it's admirable.

A necessary first step for my admittedly below standard taste would be getting Runza to move into Iowa along with Valentino's and/or Big Fred's. Every time we are in Nebraska we enjoy the Runzas. To the point we actually take a cooler and bring some home. I know, I need help.

• Wow
Reactions: ThorneStockton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT