ADVERTISEMENT

'Food & Wine' says this is the best fast food in Iowa

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
"Food & Wine," the website and magazine focused on all things culinary, released a guide to every state's best fast food on Tuesday and picked a storied icon for its Iowa choice.

Large lists by national publishers picking the best that each state has to offer can sometimes seem like a fool's errand. "Food & Wine," however, is published by Iowa's own Meredith Corporation, so it makes sense that they went with the classic loose meat sandwich from Maid-Rite.

b421de35-0de4-4320-afbf-481a3fdfa580-561406468.jpg

Taylor's Maid-Rite in Marshalltown is celebrating 90 years of serving its loose meat sandwiches to hungry Iowans. (Photo: Taylor's Maid-Rite/Special to the Register)

The entry reads:

"To the outsider, the loose meat sandwich appears as an unfinished symphony, or perhaps just unfinished, it is the burger that got lost on its way to being a burger, a sloppy Joe without the slop, a mystery that mostly ends up in your lap, if you do not eat it correctly. To Iowans, it’s home, and this kinda-had-to-grow-up-with-it half-creation goes by many names, depending on where in the state you hail from — the Canteen in Ottumwa, the tavern sandwich in Sioux City, the Maid-Rite in many more communities. The latter appears to come down to the ubiquity of the state’s homegrown fast food chain, now approaching a century of survival, a place best known for piles of crumbled ground beef cooked with onion, salt and pepper, scooped up and placed on a hamburger bun. It’s deconstructed food from before deconstruction was cool, and if you’re smart, you’ll get it with cheese. Make ours with that other Iowa specialty, creamy blue.

Setting aside the fact that the writer of the entry is threatening to put blue cheese on a loose meat sandwich, the choice is a strong one for Iowa. Certainly, there are other options from Iowa that could have been selected. There's an argument for Tasty Tacos, B-Bop's, and even Casey's General Store as the most ubiquitous fast food option.

Whether you're a fan of the dry loose meat sandwich or not, the food runs deep in Iowa culture. The first Maid-Rite opened in Muscatine in 1926 and its popularity pushed them to add more shops throughout the state over the years.

Maid-Rite is also seen by many an important part of many Iowa communities, as shown when workers at the Marshalltown restaurant started handing out sandwiches in the immediate wake of a devastating tornado.

ADVERTISING
But the selection won't be popular with some. In 2017, a writer at "Thrillist" included the Maid-Rite in a list of the "grossest, weirdest food" in each state.

But whether or not you agree with "Food & Wine" that Maid-Rite's loose meat sandwich is the best fast food in Iowa, it is a historically and culturally mindful choice.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...marshalltown-muscatine-loose-meat/2133290001/

Maid-Rite put Muscatine on the map. It is part of
Iowa folk lore. It is a tasty treat for meat lovers.
The Good News is that you can still buy them in
Illinois.

We had a Maid-Rite growing up in my small home town,.. I think it's still there...

"Food & Wine," the website and magazine focused on all things culinary, released a guide to every state's best fast food on Tuesday and picked a storied icon for its Iowa choice.

Large lists by national publishers picking the best that each state has to offer can sometimes seem like a fool's errand. "Food & Wine," however, is published by Iowa's own Meredith Corporation, so it makes sense that they went with the classic loose meat sandwich from Maid-Rite.

b421de35-0de4-4320-afbf-481a3fdfa580-561406468.jpg

Taylor's Maid-Rite in Marshalltown is celebrating 90 years of serving its loose meat sandwiches to hungry Iowans. (Photo: Taylor's Maid-Rite/Special to the Register)

The entry reads:

"To the outsider, the loose meat sandwich appears as an unfinished symphony, or perhaps just unfinished, it is the burger that got lost on its way to being a burger, a sloppy Joe without the slop, a mystery that mostly ends up in your lap, if you do not eat it correctly. To Iowans, it’s home, and this kinda-had-to-grow-up-with-it half-creation goes by many names, depending on where in the state you hail from — the Canteen in Ottumwa, the tavern sandwich in Sioux City, the Maid-Rite in many more communities. The latter appears to come down to the ubiquity of the state’s homegrown fast food chain, now approaching a century of survival, a place best known for piles of crumbled ground beef cooked with onion, salt and pepper, scooped up and placed on a hamburger bun. It’s deconstructed food from before deconstruction was cool, and if you’re smart, you’ll get it with cheese. Make ours with that other Iowa specialty, creamy blue.

Setting aside the fact that the writer of the entry is threatening to put blue cheese on a loose meat sandwich, the choice is a strong one for Iowa. Certainly, there are other options from Iowa that could have been selected. There's an argument for Tasty Tacos, B-Bop's, and even Casey's General Store as the most ubiquitous fast food option.

Whether you're a fan of the dry loose meat sandwich or not, the food runs deep in Iowa culture. The first Maid-Rite opened in Muscatine in 1926 and its popularity pushed them to add more shops throughout the state over the years.

Maid-Rite is also seen by many an important part of many Iowa communities, as shown when workers at the Marshalltown restaurant started handing out sandwiches in the immediate wake of a devastating tornado.

ADVERTISING
But the selection won't be popular with some. In 2017, a writer at "Thrillist" included the Maid-Rite in a list of the "grossest, weirdest food" in each state.

But whether or not you agree with "Food & Wine" that Maid-Rite's loose meat sandwich is the best fast food in Iowa, it is a historically and culturally mindful choice.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...marshalltown-muscatine-loose-meat/2133290001/

I had my first Maid-Rite this year in Des Moines when I was driving up from Tallahassee to go to the College World Series in Omaha. It is the absolute worst sandwich I’ve ever had and the worst fast food restaurant I’ve ever been to. No equivocating, there’s not even a close second.

Meanwhile the Runza I got in Omaha was actually really good. Not to the level of great but a solid 7 out of 10 unlike Maid Rite’s 0 out of 10.

The rest of the article is hit or miss. They are 100% right on Waffle House for Georgia, it is amazing for the price, always open 24/7 and a Deep South staple. But they are dead wrong on PDQ which is simply yet another Guthrie’s clone like Zaxbys, Zaccadoos and Raising Canes. We have the original Guthrie’s in Florida, there’s no need to go to the lesser clones.

I've never understood why these are a thing. I go to Maid Rite every once in a great while, but I don't order a loose meat sandwich when I go there.
Marshalltown location that is all they serve. Your side options are chips soda water milkshake or coffee. That is their entire menu. Until a few years ago they didn’t even have ketchup.

Maid Rite sammiches are great. But my memory of them is from the 60’s and 70’s, when they were served in small town greasy dives. I went to an official Maid Rite restaurant a few years ago and it was god-awful.

If you're going to do loose meat, 2 Charlie boys and a schooner from miles inn in Sioux City is the only way to go

This. A charlie boy has flavor. A maidrite only has flavor after you put a bunch of pickles, mustard, and onions it. Miles Inn over any Maidrite in a heartbeat.

The real answer to this question though, if we are going on chains based in Iowa, is Tasty Tacos. I'm not sure if Pancheros was based out of Iowa. I know IC, Ames and another college town out of state started it, just not sure if it was Iowa.

Love me some Maid-rite sandwiches. Ketchup and plenty of pickle.

Source: from Muscatine

huge problem at the canteen as it is a big "U" shaped or hoseshoe shaped counter-or-bar where people sit on stools and eat. no tables. at the top or bottom of the "U" the curved part, is the front door. and the cash register. you got three different lines at that front door: people waiting to get in and sit down and eat, people waiting to pay and leave, people waiting to order "to go" orders, or pick up to go orders. the place is small , maybe 20X40 feet at the max. 80 people trying to funnel in to a place made to hold 20. there are maybe 20 chairs or stools. maybe 10 on each side of the "U". it's a cluster. they need a "to-go" line separate from the "stay here" line.

I had my first Maid-Rite this year in Des Moines when I was driving up from Tallahassee to go to the College World Series in Omaha. It is the absolute worst sandwich I’ve ever had and the worst fast food restaurant I’ve ever been to. No equivocating, there’s not even a close second.

Meanwhile the Runza I got in Omaha was actually really good. Not to the level of great but a solid 7 out of 10 unlike Maid Rite’s 0 out of 10.

The rest of the article is hit or miss. They are 100% right on Waffle House for Georgia, it is amazing for the price, always open 24/7 and a Deep South staple. But they are dead wrong on PDQ which is simply yet another Guthrie’s clone like Zaxbys, Zaccadoos and Raising Canes. We have the original Guthrie’s in Florida, there’s no need to go to the lesser clones.

Finally ate at a Waffle House on our way to Austin a few weeks ago. I was filled with trepidation before ordering, but to my surprise the food was outstanding and the portions and price were very good. I’ll be looking for them on my future travel routes because I cannot get it here in Iowa which is a damn shame.

Love me some Maid-rite sandwiches. Ketchup and plenty of pickle.

Source: from Muscatine

Always loved maid rite. The one in Muscatine still does them rite, but yeah, some of the more ‘official’ places that feel cookie cutter are prettt lame. They tried one in Lincoln Park a few years back, and they just didn’t know how to make them. Place lasted like 9 months.

Finally ate at a Waffle House on our way to Austin a few weeks ago. I was filled with trepidation before ordering, but to my surprise the food was outstanding and the portions and price were very good. I’ll be looking for them on my future travel routes because I cannot get it here in Iowa which is a damn shame.

Waffle House is surprisingly solid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT