ADVERTISEMENT

'Food & Wine' says this is the best fast food in Iowa

Finally ate at a Waffle House on our way to Austin a few weeks ago. I was filled with trepidation before ordering, but to my surprise the food was outstanding and the portions and price were very good. I’ll be looking for them on my future travel routes because I cannot get it here in Iowa which is a damn shame.
Food be damned at
Finally ate at a Waffle House on our way to Austin a few weeks ago. I was filled with trepidation before ordering, but to my surprise the food was outstanding and the portions and price were very good. I’ll be looking for them on my future travel routes because I cannot get it here in Iowa which is a damn shame.
Waffle House you are paying for the ambience! A real slice of Americana.

Thanks for the link @cigaretteman!

A well deserved award. The Maid Rite in Marshalltown is the only one that uses the whole side of beef and they butcher their own fresh Iowa beef. The corporation tried to force them to use the frozen hamburger from Brazil that all the other locations use, but they won the right in court to keep making them the same as in 1928.

I never pass up the opportunity to eat there when I get the chance. Everything...extra dry (they squeeze the excess grease out). I’m a ketchup guy, but that doesn’t belong on a Taylor’s Maid Rite.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Maid Rite isn’t even the best loose meat in Iowa.

Maid Rite is to loose meats same as Zio Johno’s is to Italian food.

Easy to make at home though... so that gets you around the overpriced part.

I like mine with yellow mustard. Not sure I've ever had one with cheese, but I assume the best choice is a Kraft single type slice?
Easy to make, but if you do it right, in a cast iron pan until each little bit has some brown crust on it, well it takes forever.

I had my first Maid-Rite this year in Des Moines when I was driving up from Tallahassee to go to the College World Series in Omaha. It is the absolute worst sandwich I’ve ever had and the worst fast food restaurant I’ve ever been to. No equivocating, there’s not even a close second.

Meanwhile the Runza I got in Omaha was actually really good. Not to the level of great but a solid 7 out of 10 unlike Maid Rite’s 0 out of 10.

The rest of the article is hit or miss. They are 100% right on Waffle House for Georgia, it is amazing for the price, always open 24/7 and a Deep South staple. But they are dead wrong on PDQ which is simply yet another Guthrie’s clone like Zaxbys, Zaccadoos and Raising Canes. We have the original Guthrie’s in Florida, there’s no need to go to the lesser clones.
Wow. You and really disagree. Runza - hard to believe people actually pay to eat it!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT