ADVERTISEMENT

New Story For Iowa's Offense, the Talent's in the Room Now

Adam Jacobi

HR MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
Brown, a 5'10", 197-pound speedster who has drawn comparisons to former Buckeye star and current Washington Commander starter Curtis Samuel, comes to Iowa with immediate expectations of contributing. Brown managed just one catch for five yards* amid action in four games in 2022, but that still makes him only the third scholarship wide receiver on Iowa's roster with a catch in FBS play, joining Nico Ragaini (125 career catches) and Diante Vines (10).

*That lone catch came during Ohio State's 54-10 victory against Iowa.

For Iowa's Offense, the Talent's in the Room Now

Love this in so many ways, very excited to see how things pan out.

I'm anxiously waiting for the deep dive on this guys skillset! But I want it without paying for the premium paywall site. And I want it now! Kind of like how the average message board jockey wants ALL the Hawkeye FB success but refuses to donate one (tax deductible) cent to The Swarm collective.

Brown and Anderson seem to be an improvement over Johnson and Bruce, or at least a wash.

All's commitment helped improve an already solid TE room.

With McNamara's quick release and ability to make the throws where receivers can catch them in stride our passing game should be better.

I truly believe our OL will be much improved which should improve our running game, thus making our play action passing game open up.

As things stand today, this fall could be much better from an offensive stand point. Time will tell.

Here is hoping that Cade can throw the ball to Kaleb Brown and Seth Anderson over the summer, and to other receivers, to work on timing etc.

If that is the case there is really no reason that Brown cant run several slot receiver routes from the start of game one, if that the position he will be in most of the time. Cade and Brown having the timing down for a quick slant, a sit down pattern for about 6 yards, and an out pattern or even out and up, will be great. We do not need a million pass patterns in the offense.

If Brown is a speedster then he can also line up as the wide out and give the hawks a Smith-Marsette type downfield threat.

The same goes for Anderson, practice four or five main pass routes over the summer and go into August practice against the defense to hone the timing.

If the hawk offense starts moving the ball and controlling time of possession with maybe 15 to 20 more offensive snaps per game then everything will be looking more positive for all those players.

Iowa was 123rd in offense, measured by points (out of 131 schools). Obviously horrible.

What might be worse, if Iowa had scored 1 more touchdown (7 points) per game last year they would only move up to 89th. They would have had to put up 2 more TD's per game to get to the Top 50.

In this day and age of free flowing offenses putting up lots of points, Iowa is not in the same hemisphere.

I seriously wonder if a few new guys and an additional year of experience can can even get the Hawks into the Top 75.

Iowa was 123rd in offense, measured by points (out of 131 schools). Obviously horrible.

What might be worse, if Iowa had scored 1 more touchdown (7 points) per game last year they would only move up to 89th. They would have had to put up 2 more TD's per game to get to the Top 50.

In this day and age of free flowing offenses putting up lots of points, Iowa is not in the same hemisphere.

I seriously wonder if a few new guys and an additional year of experience can can even get the Hawks into the Top 75.

None of those numbers are important,.. wins are what count.

That's what I'd like to see. Something in the 70-80 range. I would think that makes us pretty serious contenders for the Big 10. I'm not buying that we could move up to the 50's with our scheme and questions on OL.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but the player most thrilled about the WR/TE additions might be Kaleb Johnson. It should be a lot harder for opposing teams to have their strong safety in the box.
Not if we are only throwing 3 yard outs like usual.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
It is time to stop with the excuses for the offense.If is not at least in the top 100, it is time to clean house.
I agree there are no excuses this season! If the offense doesn't improve now, it never will. Personally, I think we're in for a great year.

Even if it continues to perform poorly, there probably won't be any housecleaning. Not of Brian, anyway.

Brown and Anderson seem to be an improvement over Johnson and Bruce, or at least a wash.

With McNamara's quick release and ability to make the throws where receivers can catch them in stride our passing game should be better.

I truly believe our OL will be much improved which should improve our running game, thus making our play action passing game open up.

As things stand today, this fall could be much better from an offensive stand point. Time will tell.
Still the play calling, so I will wait and see if things change before I get too excited.

Still the play calling, so I will wait and see if things change before I get too excited.

Explain this to me if you could, so I understand it?!

Let me put a little data on you, so you’ll have a better chance of explaining… It appears to me that we ran 50 to 55 plays a game last year give or take, with a high of low to mid 60s.

Let’s call it 60 plays a game….

Now, I think we all agree Spencer threw bare minimum five ridiculous, passes a game, over throws, or under throws, to wide open WRs. I think it’s fair to assume we had close to five drops a game on highly catchable balls!

We had bare minimum 5 to 8 complete whiffs on the offensive line per game, not counting bad snaps, poor snaps etc!

This doesn’t include wrong routes, missed open receivers, throw aways out of panic, fumbles and INTs….

But so, as not to be considered, cherry picking, we’re just gonna go with 18 plays a game that play-calling literally had nothing to do with!

So 30% of all plays, again not really even counting throwaways bad reads, fumbles, etc….

So, now explain how the play calling was the most relevant piece of the puzzle?

As I said wins are what count,.. pretty or ugly, doesn't matter how you get there.
And like I said......the offense cost the team 2 wins (and maybe 3) last season. Since wins are obviously the bottom line, I can only assume you were unhappy with the offense and think it needs to improve.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
No but I heard they were at the limit back in February so things seem to be in flux.
Yeah a lot has transpired since February. I thought we were at 84 before WR Brown committed and there was talk of putting the LS on scholarship also. You indicated a preference for multiple additional portal pickups so I thought you knew.

Anyway, there is bound to be more movement before Fall camp so a couple more could be in the works, a d-back for sure.

Not if we are only throwing 3 yard outs like usual.
I just rewatched the wiscy game and the Purdue game. Petras had an open receiver 10-20 yards downfield on almost every dump off 2 or 3 yard throw. When we were first and goal at the 2 yard line against wiscy Vines was wide open on a slant but we threw a sideways pass to the outlet for no gain. Same thing with Purdue. Threw a 2 yaed pass to Kaleb when we had a receiver wide open 20 yards down the middle. His head was locked in on the shorter routes and never went through progressions. I think the biggest upgrade we received is qb. From what i can tell the 3 qbs are better than our top 2 last year. WR is definitely stepping up and i have faith the o line will be much better.

Even if Brown and Anderson are a "wash" when compared to Johnson and Bruce. I think its obvious that Johnson and Bruce weren't overly interesting in being at Iowa anymore, so they were dead weight.

Some of that isn't all on Johnson and Bruce, as they were probably SICK of our Offensive execution, especially at QB and Line. But if they "gave up", because things weren't going their way? Good riddance, bring in guys that want to be part of the solution and not just a benefactor of the rest of the team trying to solve the Offensive issues

I'm pretty fired up for this season. Why wouldn't the OL be better. A year of experience and strength/conditioning has to help. Not sure how they could be worse than last year.

The talent is now there. Two quality TE, good upgrade in WR's, and three stud backs. Our running game will be better because they can't stack the box. Our passing game will be better because we actually have a running game.

There is alot to be excited about! Not sure how things could have come together much better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT