ADVERTISEMENT

New Story For Iowa's Offense, the Talent's in the Room Now

Is that a serious comment? Regardless of record if they don’t reach top 50 total offense, you want the whole house cleaned?

At this point I will not cast stones at fans. Iowa's scoring offense last season was 123rd at 17.7 pts a game out of 131. All I hope for is somewhere around 60 to 70th...which is higher than the BF contract for 25pts a game.

To put those rankings in perspective...

60th Coastal Carolina (29.1)
70th Syracuse (27.7)

At this point I will not cast stones at fans. Iowa's scoring offense last season was 123rd at 17.7 pts a game out of 131. All I hope for is somewhere around 60 to 70th...which is higher than the BF contract for 25pts a game.

To put those rankings in perspective...

60th Coastal Carolina (29.1)
70th Syracuse (27.7)

Yes, it’s interesting. I think scoring has actually dropped off a little bit in recent years. It wasn’t that long ago that I remember thinking to myself 30 ought to be a reasonable consideration… And I still do, not a “fireable offense“ but I thought that was reasonable.

But if we get up in the 27-28point range and we go 10 and two I can’t hardly understand why we would fire the whole staff?

Reactions: rfgiowa
Is that a serious comment? Regardless of record if they don’t reach top 50 total offense, you want the whole house cleaned?
Maybe Top 50 is too much to ask. Top 65 since there are ~ 130 teams. SO, average? Clean the house? Nope, keep all except for KF and BF. If only 1 of the 2 has to go, BF.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Honestly with what they have now on the offensive side of the ball, top 75 or better should be the minimum bar. Need to get the WR room healthy though.
We will be in the 30s is my bet. Meaning ranking for scoring offense.

I still think you will see when Iowa up by say by two scores in 3rd quarter type games, Kirk will try to grind those out and eat the clock.

We will be in the 30s is my bet. Meaning ranking for scoring offense.

I still think you will see when Iowa up by say by two scores in 3rd quarter type games, Kirk will try to grind those out and eat the clock.
I think this depends on Cade's accuracy and development of the passing game. Especially this season but in general I think KF has realized there is a need to score faster and more points. Need bigger leads in the era of X Box football. I'm guessing we drop 50 on more than one opponent this season.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Maybe Top 50 is too much to ask. Top 65 since there are ~ 130 teams. SO, average? Clean the house? Nope, keep all except for KF and BF. If only 1 of the 2 has to go, BF.
KF, who built the program? Huh….?

KF doesn’t need to go. That’s just silly. But if the offense doesn’t improve significantly, then BF must go. No question.

I’m most interested in the OL. If there isn’t major improvement this year then BF can take GB with him.

So, you'll be angry or even disappointed in a season where the offense jumps from 123 to 80 and we go 10-2 and win the division? Just want to win and less concerned about the manner of doing so. Although I would prefer fewer razor tight games and more with our scores in the 30s.

Yes, it’s interesting. I think scoring has actually dropped off a little bit in recent years. It wasn’t that long ago that I remember thinking to myself 30 ought to be a reasonable consideration… And I still do, not a “fireable offense“ but I thought that was reasonable.

But if we get up in the 27-28point range and we go 10 and two I can’t hardly understand why we would fire the whole staff?
Let's say you a business and 1 area keeps you from breaking through and getting to the next level. You are just going to acceptnit and remain where you are, even when a vast majority of your customers are screaming at you?

Let's say you a business and 1 area keeps you from breaking through and getting to the next level. You are just going to acceptnit and remain where you are, even when a vast majority of your customers are screaming at you?

Not a good analogy… if you were failing so badly in a business area that you are losing customers and money then you’ve got a problem, but that isn’t happening with Iowa!

It’s still all about the wins and I know you get tired of hearing this, but over the last 10 years they have won a shit ton of games!

I actually have a few business analogies of car dealerships that I worked at that I could LA as an example, but honestly dude I don’t know that I care that much anymore. They are going to be who they are!

And if it gets to the point, I don’t want to watch them, then I won’t watch them….

Ironically enough, I don’t watch the men’s basketball team play every game every year and haven’t for quite some time and they are about as exciting a team to watch on offense as there is. But watching them completely incapable of guarding a cement block chained to their leg is more tiresome, than our football offense, at least for me!!

So, you'll be angry or even disappointed in a season where the offense jumps from 123 to 80 and we go 10-2 and win the division? Just want to win and less concerned about the manner of doing so. Although I would prefer fewer razor tight games and more with our scores in the 30s.

That’s them….would you hire someone with that mindset?

Not a good analogy… if you were failing so badly in a business area that you are losing customers and money then you’ve got a problem, but that isn’t happening with Iowa!

It’s still all about the wins and I know you get tired of hearing this, but over the last 10 years they have won a shit ton of games!

I actually have a few business analogies of car dealerships that I worked at that I could LA as an example, but honestly dude I don’t know that I care that much anymore. They are going to be who they are!

And if it gets to the point, I don’t want to watch them, then I won’t watch them….

Ironically enough, I don’t watch the men’s basketball team play every game every year and haven’t for quite some time and they are about as exciting a team to watch on offense as there is. But watching them completely incapable of guarding a cement block chained to their leg is more tiresome, than our football offense, at least for me!!
Your opinion.

The "we won 10 games last year" is worn out. Today's worls is win big, period. Mediocrity is losing, the offense is costong the team and fans wins, period.

Your opinion.

The "we won 10 games last year" is worn out. Today's worls is win big, period. Mediocrity is losing, the offense is costong the team and fans wins, period.

Nope, they routinely rate programs over time periods not one year at a time. I’m sorry if that doesn’t fit your analogy but it’s true all the same!

For every game Iowa loses for offense other teams are losing because of special teams and defense. It’s all about how much you’re winning compared to the other guys.

We don’t have a special place of failure because our offense sucks!

If we had a top 50 offenses & a top 50 defense and went seven and six or six and seven, that wouldn’t make it better.

I have often times and aggressively said that is what ultimately is going to happen when KF retires! You’ll get a better offense & less wins and you are one of the 20 to 25 guys that will help ease that pain for me because you’ll finally get what you asked for!

Sure, we go 12-0, but the offense is 100 because our defense keeps giving us short fields. Fire everyone!!!
Having a top defense can certainly limit to some degree offense's yardage numbers, but it should not impact there ability to put points on the board, which is all I care about. Finish drives, especially in the end zone.

Nope, they routinely rate programs over time periods not one year at a time. I’m sorry if that doesn’t fit your analogy but it’s true all the same!

For every game Iowa loses for offense other teams are losing because of special teams and defense. It’s all about how much you’re winning compared to the other guys.

We don’t have a special place of failure because our offense sucks!

If we had a top 50 offenses & a top 50 defense and went seven and six or six and seven, that wouldn’t make it better.

I have often times and aggressively said that is what ultimately is going to happen when KF retires! You’ll get a better offense & less wins and you are one of the 20 to 25 guys that will help ease that pain for me because you’ll finally get what you asked for!
In BFs tenure (more then 1 yr for your sake, its been 5), the OFFENSE has been the Achilles heal, preventing the TEAM from getting better. In ANY business or other D1 program, BF would have been fired.

Your analogy shows a pessimistic mindset, not surprising. Your assumption that when KF leaves we will have a better offense and win less, at the same time injects that our defense, st will regress. Nice defeatist outlook you have.

In BFs tenure (more then 1 yr for your sake, its been 5), the OFFENSE has been the Achilles heal, preventing the TEAM from getting better. In ANY business or other D1 program, BF would have been fired.

Your analogy shows a pessimistic mindset, not surprising. Your assumption that when KF leaves we will have a better offense and win less, at the same time injects that our defense, st will regress. Nice defeatist outlook you have.

Can I assume you’re not aware that going down is typically the norm after letting go, a long tenured good coach?

PS…the odds are in my favor if you’d like to wager?

Can I assume you’re not aware that going down is typically the norm after letting go, a long tenured good coach?

PS…the odds are in my favor if you’d like to wager?
Yep, it happens. I've never said that it wouldn't happen, but not afraid of it either.

Try and fail or fail to try, it's a choice. Only one brings success.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I'm pretty fired up for this season. Why wouldn't the OL be better. A year of experience and strength/conditioning has to help. Not sure how they could be worse than last year.

The talent is now there. Two quality TE, good upgrade in WR's, and three stud backs. Our running game will be better because they can't stack the box. Our passing game will be better because we actually have a running game.

There is alot to be excited about! Not sure how things could have come together much better.
I know people don’t like to hear it because we heard the same thing last year about the old line being young. But the truth is they had several first and second year players getting significant snaps. Could very well be a story similar to the 2002 offensive line when it’s said and one. I’m hoping they are the 2001 range this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT