ADVERTISEMENT

For those that thought my decision I posted back about homeless a ways back....was wrong...I'm sticking with my decision

We're in luck, the article says SCOTUS ruled in 1962 it not a crime to be poor (different words same meaning), so that's not even in question. Whew.

Now, what to do about tent encampments...

I understand and sympathize with the argument that you can't deny someone space to sleep. However, I don't see why that also means "you can sleep in any public space." So there's an imperfect medium to be met somewhere.

Realistically HROT isn't solving this problem, but here's a thought: designated public "outdoor homing" space. Take a piece of land and designate it. Cities can do whatever they like to beautify it, no doubt some private citizens would come up with projects to improve it. It would become a centralized place for homeless worker programs, free education programs, etc.

Yes, I can write the "homeless concentration camp" headlines in opposition to it, but this is one idea (maybe it's been done, IDK).

Reactions: abby97
OP not sure where you reside but I live in a major metropolitan area.

I have sympathy for less fortunate as I’m not well off and live paycheck to paycheck.

That being said on many occasions I’ve had to deal with homeless who are addicts and looking for nothing but the next fix or so far off pharmaceutical drugs that have messed them up you have no idea what they will do or intent.

Why should tax paying citizens have to worry about that? I have small children and they have to see and deal with addicts and people who are out of minds because of feelings? What if they go off and do harm why is that ok?

A fella was walking down the street near a middle school and had a rip in the complete middle of his pants and his dick hanging out. Children can see this, it’s not right.

We all pay taxes to provide help and programs but seems those funds are going to other groups now and the homeless have grown and become everyday citizens issue and problem to deal with.

Not a fan. I do know nothing of the ruling but feel states should bear the burden and use tax paying citizens tax money in fixing things for its citizens the homeless epidemic is one of many that need fixing

Reactions: abby97
We're in luck, the article says SCOTUS ruled in 1962 it not a crime to be poor (different words same meaning), so that's not even in question. Whew.

I understand and sympathize with the argument that you can't deny someone space to sleep. However, I don't see why that also means "you can sleep in any public space." So there's an imperfect medium to be met somewhere.

Realistically HROT isn't solving this problem, but here's a thought: designated public "outdoor homing" space. Take a piece of land and designate it. Cities can do whatever they like to beautify it, no doubt some private citizens would come up with projects to improve it. It would become a centralized place for homeless worker programs, free education programs, etc.

Yes, I can write the "homeless concentration camp" headlines in opposition to it, but this is one idea (maybe it's been done, IDK).

Nobody sees an easy solution. It will take some collective action. But I can tell you just putting them in jail because the needed to sleep somewhere and they are homesless.....I think we are failing as a country if we result to that.

Reactions: Huey Grey
OP not sure where you reside but I live in a major metropolitan area.

I have sympathy for less fortunate as I’m not well off and live paycheck to paycheck.

That being said on many occasions I’ve had to deal with homeless who are addicts and looking for nothing but the next fix or so far off pharmaceutical drugs that have messed them up you have no idea what they will do or intent.

Why should tax paying citizens have to worry about that? I have small children and they have to see and deal with addicts and people who are out of minds because of feelings? What if they go off and do harm why is that ok?

A fella was walking down the street near a middle school and had a rip in the complete middle of his pants and his dick hanging out. Children can see this, it’s not right.

We all pay taxes to provide help and programs but seems those funds are going to other groups now and the homeless have grown and become everyday citizens issue and problem to deal with.

Not a fan. I do know nothing of the ruling but feel states should bear the burden and use tax paying citizens tax money in fixing things for its citizens the homeless epidemic is one of many that need fixing

You are talking about people that are committing actual crimes. I am not. I'm talking about arresting someone that is simply homeless and sleeping in public. Don't try to change actual subject.

Nobody sees an easy solution. It will take some collective action. But I can tell you just putting them in jail because the needed to sleep somewhere and they are homesless.....I think we are failing as a country if we result to that.
While I agree, a story. In college I knew some guys who started a weekly hot dogs for homeless night. They took their grill and hot dogs down the street to a place where they knew homeless people hung out and they made them hot dogs and started conversations.

One story that came back several times... Homeless people would commit petty crimes to try to get arrested so they could get a bed and 3 meals.

If they didn't have to commit a crime to get a place in jail they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Another recurring theme for these people...addiction and mental health.

I'm not advocating for putting them in jail as criminals, but if infrastructure can be used, it might be an option in some communities.

It is not a crime in and itself to be a poor.

I don't give a F what scotus decides.

Whether a city has alternative housing available or not is immaterial to the many people who choose the life of intentional homelessness. They don't want to follow the rules of the shelter, whether it be the use of intoxicants, curfews or otherwise general conduct.

So if the 9th circuit stands, it sounds like a city that has 1,000 homeless people would have to have 1,000 beds available in order for the police to make an arrest of a person refusing shelter service. This, even though a number of them will never accept a bed at the shelter.

We could call it District 9! Jk

Whether a city has alternative housing available or not is immaterial to the many people who choose the life of intentional homelessness. They don't want to follow the rules of the shelter, whether it be the use of intoxicants, curfews or otherwise general conduct.

So if the 9th circuit stands, it sounds like a city that has 1,000 homeless people would have to have 1,000 beds available in order for the police to make an arrest of a person refusing shelter service. This, even though a number of them will never accept a bed at the shelter.
Intentional homelessness? Sheesh

SCOTUS has totally f'ed up this country in the 21st century.

If money is truly free speech, why do billionaires have more FS than the rest of us? Isn't FS supposed to be equal for all of us?

The 1st amendment restricts the government from restricting your speech.
It restricts the government from restricting billionaires speech too.

It equally protects you and the billionaire from censorious, government twats.

It doesn’t buy you a megaphone. You have to buy your own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT