ADVERTISEMENT

Former DOJ prosecutor Andrew Weissmann on the Trump family, "They are going to be in quite the pickle".

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Weissmann had a long and distinguished career at the DOJ, much of which was spent on white collar crime. He was on the delightful Nicolle Wallace's show today and mentioned that Trump's problems for federal crimes don't vanish even if he pardons himself. A pardon, if it holds up to scrutiny by the Supreme Court, only protects from past crimes, and not future crimes. In 2021, he said, they are going to have to file tax returns for themselves, and Trump Org. If those numbers all of sudden do not match up for previous years they open themselves up to new federal exposure, plus providing templates for NY and the Manhattan AG to scrutinize previous returns.
He also mentioned the DOJ inquiry into pardons for donations. He said it makes no sense for a career official to look too hard at this case now, when after January 20th the people you really want to question will no longer have near the protection they do inside the government. He also mentioned that it's not plausible that a convicted felon, and their lawyer would make large donations without a nod and a wink from someone with access to deliver a pardon.

Weissmann had a long and distinguished career at the DOJ, much of which was spent on white collar crime. He was on the delightful Nicolle Wallace's show today and mentioned that Trump's problems for federal crimes don't vanish even if he pardons himself. A pardon, if it holds up to scrutiny by the Supreme Court, only protects from past crimes, and not future crimes. In 2021, he said, they are going to have to file tax returns for themselves, and Trump Org. If those numbers all of sudden do not match up for previous years they open themselves up to new federal exposure, plus providing templates for NY and the Manhattan AG to scrutinize previous returns.
He also mentioned the DOJ inquiry into pardons for donations. He said it makes no sense for a career official to look too hard at this case now, when after January 20th the people you really want to question will no longer have near the protection they do inside the government. He also mentioned that it's not plausible that a convicted felon, and their lawyer would make large donations without a nod and a wink from someone with access to deliver a pardon.

I'm sure trump is firing up his computer now to download HR Block and get going on those taxes.

That long and distinguished career has any number of blemishes; Arthur Anderson has been the biggest:

Remember Enron, and remember how the DOJ indicted an entire accounting firm (Arthur Anderson) driving them out of business before the Supreme Court overturned the case.

From Gateway Pundit:

Mueller and Weissmann made up a crime that resulted in the complete destruction of Arthur Andersen and the loss of more than 80,000 jobs for those employed by this corporation. This crime was eventually overturned by the US Supreme Court unanimously but it was far too late for all involved because the company was totally destroyed years before the Supreme Court decision.

Sydney Powell described the actions taken by former FBI Head Robert Mueller during the Enron case in the early 2000s. Powell wrote LICENSED TO LIE: Exposing Corruption in the Department of Justice after seeing a core group of federal prosecutors break all the rules, make up crimes, hide evidence, and send innocent people to prison in the Enron case.

51xvoLDxb4L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So far, he has gotten away with his corruption. I cannot imagine he would want to put himself at risk once again. After all, he should be on about year 15 of his prison sentence.

That long and distinguished career has any number of blemishes; Arthur Anderson has been the biggest:

Remember Enron, and remember how the DOJ indicted an entire accounting firm (Arthur Anderson) driving them out of business before the Supreme Court overturned the case.

From Gateway Pundit:

Mueller and Weissmann made up a crime that resulted in the complete destruction of Arthur Andersen and the loss of more than 80,000 jobs for those employed by this corporation. This crime was eventually overturned by the US Supreme Court unanimously but it was far too late for all involved because the company was totally destroyed years before the Supreme Court decision.

Sydney Powell described the actions taken by former FBI Head Robert Mueller during the Enron case in the early 2000s. Powell wrote LICENSED TO LIE: Exposing Corruption in the Department of Justice after seeing a core group of federal prosecutors break all the rules, make up crimes, hide evidence, and send innocent people to prison in the Enron case.

51xvoLDxb4L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So far, he has gotten away with his corruption. I cannot imagine he would want to put himself at risk once again. After all, he should be on about year 15 of his prison sentence.
Soooo...what you're saying is that Weissmann is incorrect in his analysis. That Trump won't have to file in 2021. Or you know that his 2021 filing won't be materially different from earlier filings. Or that if he does file and exposes himself to legal issues, the previous pardon still somehow holds sway.

Or are you simply dismissing the analysis because of who offered it?

Soooo...what you're saying is that Weissmann is incorrect in his analysis. That Trump won't have to file in 2021. Or you know that his 2021 filing won't be materially different from earlier filings. Or that if he does file and exposes himself to legal issues, the previous pardon still somehow holds sway.

Or are you simply dismissing the analysis because of who offered it?

Primarily, I am dismissing it due to Weissman's lack of credibility. He is totally corrupt you understand?

File what? his 2020 income taxes? He may not even have any taxable income since he is giving his salary away every month. (or in 60 or 90 day increments, i am not sure).

So his earned income will be zero and I have no idea what his outside earnings will be. I thought that stuff was going into the Trump Corporation and if they paid no dividends, in 2020, he would have no liability there either.

I haven’t understood the pardon thing with the Trump family this week. Crimes connected to tax returns and charities would also be state issues right? Not sure on the campaign financing stuff, but no way that pardon wouldn’t be viewed as abuse of power.

And is it really all that likely that Biden AG will go hunting to prosecute them? Or better question... do they want to open another “witch hunt” where they risk looking compromised and foolish again?

I wish they’d give them immunity, make them testify against anyone left in government and require they leave stay out of the public eye

I haven’t understood the pardon thing with the Trump family this week. Crimes connected to tax returns and charities would also be state issues right? Not sure on the campaign financing stuff, but no way that pardon wouldn’t be viewed as abuse of power.

And is it really all that likely that Biden AG will go hunting to prosecute them? Or better question... do they want to open another “witch hunt” where they risk looking compromised and foolish again?

I wish they’d give them immunity
I don't

I hope they fry those f***ers.
Stealing from a cancer charity for kids means they should be dismembered, slowly, and on Pay Per View for us to enjoy the show.

He may not even have any taxable income since he is giving his salary away every month.
LOL... is being POTUS his only income stream? He's definitely not making money and has very little taxable income but he has to file with his writeoffs/deductions to show he has no taxable income.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I'm sure trump is firing up his computer now to download HR Block and get going on those taxes.
Not H&R Block, I think the weak link for the Trump's is long time CFO Alan Wesselberg. He received limited immunity during the Mueller investigation, but would he do time for the Trump's when he is in his 70s?

How exactly does a President pardon himself for crimes not yet charged for or tried? Seems an unlikely strategy at best and an empty gesture at worst. SCOTUS probably would not even consider such an action as it would have no effect.

I only play an attorney here on HROT.

How exactly does a President pardon himself for crimes not yet charged for or tried? Seems an unlikely strategy at best and an empty gesture at worst. SCOTUS probably would not even consider such an action as it would have no effect.

Pardoning himself is direct admission of a crime. Full Stop.

Weissmann laid it out pretty clearly. Worst case Trump tries to pardon himself, and after several years of court battles he is back to where he is now. Several years of delay is a tactic Trump has used several times over his lengthy history of being sued.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
LOL... is being POTUS his only income stream? He's definitely not making money and has very little taxable income but he has to file with his writeoffs/deductions to show he has no taxable income.

I have a feeling that that money from his salary goes straight to the beneficiaries, bypassing the Trump family income statement. I saw an article somewhere on how that was being handled, and it sounded as if Melania was providing someone in government with the list of recipients every month or two and the money was going directly to those people ... bypassing the Trumps altogether. I do not think they have to show it on their personal income statement, but I am not sure.

You cut off the part of my post where I addressed the issue of dividend income, assuming he received any which I doubt. He sold his stock portfolio after winning the 2016 election, and I am simply unsure of what has been happening in the Trump Corporation, If he still owns part of it, he would owe taxes on any dividends they paid out. Based on his alleged tax situation for the past several years, it sounds as if he was paid no dividend income from that operation ... and likely will not receive one for 2020.

Primarily, I am dismissing it due to Weissman's lack of credibility. He is totally corrupt you understand?

File what? his 2020 income taxes? He may not even have any taxable income since he is giving his salary away every month. (or in 60 or 90 day increments, i am not sure).

So his earned income will be zero and I have no idea what his outside earnings will be. I thought that stuff was going into the Trump Corporation and if they paid no dividends, in 2020, he would have no liability there either.
LOL...he's filed taxes every year he's been POTUS but suddenly he won't have to file? Even if he gave his salary away he still has to file, you know. The best part of this response is you calling Weissmann "corrupt" in defense of Donald J Trump. That's funny.

Reactions: 7 Dunks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT