ADVERTISEMENT

Former Lewis Central volleyball standout Coyle enjoying expanded role at Iowa

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Reghan Coyle’s days as a walk-on are numbered.

The 2015 Lewis Central graduate isn’t unhappy with her current situation. After all, the lifelong Iowa fan turned down full-ride offers from other colleges for a chance to play volleyball in Iowa City. And there is something about not yet having a scholarship – maybe it’s her fiercely competitive nature – that inspires in the midst of grueling two-a-days and busy schedules.

“I’d say I still have that chip on my shoulder,” Coyle said. “I’m in the starting lineup and I’m playing every game, but I know I still have to perform every time and keep proving myself and make the most of my opportunities.”

Most of the early looks Coyle received as a freshman came from the “B” side of court during practices. But the net is “see through” – as third-year coach Bond Shymansky likes to tell the Hawkeyes – and what the staff saw was an athlete showing she could grow at a more rapid rate than some playing ahead of her.

Coyle made her debut as a starter Nov. 4 at Indiana and played regular minutes down the stretch. Now in her second college season, the 6-foot right-side hitter has quickly evolved into perhaps Iowa’s best blocker and one of its most efficient terminators as the Hawkeyes (13-4 entering Saturday) pursue their first winning season since 2000.

“Coyle has been such a strong, steady workhorse for us in so many ways and has really become the most versatile player in our program,” Shymansky said. “She’s the one that’s earned the opportunity to talk about scholarship money. That’s a good thing. Maybe it’s the fairytale story that you want every walk-on to see, think and know is possible.”

After working as a right-side throughout high school, Coyle saw court time last year hitting from all across the net and played all six rotations at times. She appeared in 53 of Iowa’s 115 sets and finished sixth on the squad in kills per set (1.28).

The offseason was a transformative one as Coyle worked on improving her strength and vertical jump while settling in as a regular right side and occasional middle blocker. She continued to develop her swing even as Iowa took a two-week trip across Europe to play opponents in Germany, Poland, Ireland, Belgium and the Netherlands.

“She’s the definition of coachable,” Shymansky said. “A lot of times you ask a player to do something different or see themselves in a different role. The roll you usually get is an eye roll, but Coyle is such a steady, strong competitor. She has the type of demeanor that’s all about sweat equity and giving your best. She’s just been a tremendous asset for us.”

Coyle continues to confirm such beliefs, having played in every set for the Hawkeyes this fall. She’s bumped her .091 freshman efficiency up to .336 as a sophomore and is averaging 2.04 kills per set entering Saturday. Three times has she posted 10 kills in a match and her 45 total blocks lead the squad. She turned her best college effort Friday night with a career-high 12 kills (at a .375 efficiency) and four blocks as Iowa upset No. 17 Purdue in five sets.

The Hawkeyes’ three Big Ten Conference victories in five tries – against Northwestern, Maryland and Purdue – are already the second most in the last six years. Iowa finished last season 2-18 in the league and 12-21 overall.

“It’s fun to make a difference on the court,” Coyle said. “It’s a whole new atmosphere being able to play with the team on the court and feel the intensity of the crowd and the gym. It’s really exciting to be out there with the team.”

Shymansky said he sees Coyle earning the trust of setter Loxley Keala more with each passing match. Iowa outside hitters like Sioux City Heelan grad Lauren Brobst and Meghan Buzzerio often draw two blockers, which leaves the hard-swinging Coyle in one-on-one situations in the middle. The next step, her coach said, is learning to locate her blasts better in a variety of different directions.

The pre-pharmacy major has already become comfortable enough to earn a reputation as one of the funniest Hawkeyes. Her pregame locker-room dances often have teammates rolling, and her dry wit is as quick as her swing among coaches and players.

“Coyle thinks she is really funny, but she is definitely not – you can quote me on that,” Shymansky said, tongue in cheek. “She comes across as very quiet, but she’s sneaky funny. She’s the straight man in a comedy. You don’t know she’s telling a joke and all of a sudden you realize you’re getting your chops busted.”

But that humor fades into fiery commitment on the court. Three-hour practices and one-hour film sessions are daily activities in addition to classwork. All are opportunities for Coyle to prove she belongs.

“I love volleyball, love the campus, love my academics,” Coyle said. “If I get a scholarship on top of that, that’s just the cherry on top. That’s what I’m working for, and I know it will come eventually. I’ll keep working hard until then.”

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/spor...cle_7e4c14c0-8dd1-11e6-9ed6-a36ad295190c.html

Nice article, had noticed her name showing up in the stats. Did not realize she was a walk-on, probably a good sign for the program that someone of her caliber is willing to come here without a scholarship and then earn it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT