ADVERTISEMENT

Former Rockwell Collins CEO tapped to take over Boeing

QChawks

HB King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
he has his work cut out for himself, but I'm sure the 30+ million per year should cover his efforts

The former top executive at Cedar Rapids' largest employer Rockwell Collins (now Collins Aerospace), has been named the new president and CEO of Boeing.

Robert "Kelly" Ortberg will take over the embattled company starting on August 8 and will serve on the company's board of directors.

Ortberg succeeds Dave Calhoun, who announced his retirement earlier this year and has been serving in the roll since January 2020.

He joined Rockwell Collins in 1987 and was the company's CEO and president from 2013-2018 and helped the company transition to merge with United Technologies. He helped lead the new company until he retired in 2021.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
he has his work cut out for himself, but I'm sure the 30+ million per year should cover his efforts

The former top executive at Cedar Rapids' largest employer Rockwell Collins (now Collins Aerospace), has been named the new president and CEO of Boeing.

Robert "Kelly" Ortberg will take over the embattled company starting on August 8 and will serve on the company's board of directors.

Ortberg succeeds Dave Calhoun, who announced his retirement earlier this year and has been serving in the roll since January 2020.

He joined Rockwell Collins in 1987 and was the company's CEO and president from 2013-2018 and helped the company transition to merge with United Technologies. He helped lead the new company until he retired in 2021.
Hope Kelly is being paid handsomely to destroy his career.

Boeing already cut budgets and QC control to the point where they rushed a plane to market before it was ready and killed a bunch of people as a result. Theyre going to get back go being an engineering focused outfit.

That’s the correct approach. Hopefully that’s his plan

I really hope so. They have at least half the market and only one real competitor. Let’s no shit the bed here and let’s keep good American job in the states.

So long as Boeing's publicly traded, the pressure and threat will always be there to shit the bed and subsequently have a cascading effect of uncertainty and demotivation on its workforce imo.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Weird that he would leave to take on this job. He was the one behind selling Rockwell Collins in the first place just so he could make a shit ton of money.
He didn’t care about the people that worked for Collins during all the mergers, he only cared about the money he was set to make.
Did the well run dry already?

So long as Boeing's publicly traded, the pressure and threat will always be there to shit the bed and subsequently have a cascading effect of uncertainty and demotivation on its workforce imo.
tough spot to be in as a national monopoly and global duopoly for large scale commercial planes. Dont have much of a choice but to move toward quality over profit in the near term, attempt to create efficiencies in dev/prod. The brand name was torched and they need to rebuild it.

he's gonna get a shit ton of money
i gather that he is going to make a shit ton of money. He made a shit ton of money only caring about himself at Collins as well.
Rockwell used to be a place in Cedar Rapids people wanted to work at. Until clay jones retired and Kelly took over and only cared about how much money he could make. That was relevant when he sold out to United Technologies and profited millions of dollars by doing so.
I highly doubt he cares about anything but the Benjamin’s when he took on this new role.

True. But it’s been publicly traded for a long time and didn’t have the problems until relatively recently.

Wonder what the 777 fiasco and the 737 Max debacle cost it in terms of profit, stock price, and goodwill vs. what it would have cost Boeing to simply do it right the first time?

True. But it’s been publicly traded for a long time and didn’t have the problems until relatively recently.

Wonder what the 777 fiasco and the 737 Max debacle cost it in terms of profit, stock price, and goodwill vs. what it would have cost Boeing to simply do it right the first time?
Their problems seem to have been developed over a few decades of slow cultural reformation that led to cutting corners to please investors.

Hawk, hawk, hawk.
Fwiw my brother knows him really well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT