ADVERTISEMENT

Four birds killed in fire at Iowa Raptor Project

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Falcon mews are seen July 19, 2020, at the Iowa Raptor Project at the Macbride Nature Recreation Area near Solon. (The Gazette) Falcon mews are seen July 19, 2020, at the Iowa Raptor Project at the Macbride Nature Recreation Area near Solon. (The Gazette)
Four birds — two red-tailed hawks, one Harris’ hawk and one gyrfalcon — were killed in a fire Friday at the Iowa Raptor Project, a conservation center in Solon jointly sponsored by the University of Iowa and Kirkwood Community College.

The North Liberty and Solon fire departments responded at 4:24 a.m. Friday to the Iowa Raptor Project property at 3673 Raptor Ridge Rd. NE, according to a news release from the UI.

Firefighters found a fire in four enclosures, called mews, for birds at the property. The four mews were completely lost as well as the birds kept in each of them. The other birds at the property are being observed for signs of distress, the news release states.

The center said on its website that it displayed 17 birds of prey, which it said could not be released to the wild, to the public.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, and an estimate of the cost of damages is not yet available. The Iowa Raptor Project and the Macbride Nature Recreation Area will be closed until further notice, according to the release.

I was curious how this happened. First thought was some arson, but I’ll wait to hear the news. Such a cool facility, this made me sad.
Same. I'm 37 years old, and I remember a field trip we took back in like 5th grade to that facility. It was super cool, and something that stuck w/ me my whole life. I was actually just talking to my fiance no pics a few weeks ago that we should take her 7 year old son down there for a weekend trip sometime. That'll have to wait now.

Last edited:
I was curious how this happened. First thought was some arson, but I’ll wait to hear the news. Such a cool facility, this made me sad.
it looks like there is electrical going to the enclosures, maybe for a light?

my guess is that something sparked and started the fire

When I was working a seven on, seven off schedule, I thought about volunteering there on some of my off days. I never got around to it. Very sad news.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT