ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Four-star RB Jaziun Patterson announcing August 17th

Apr 8, 2003
Had a great conversation with Deerfield Beach head coach Jevon Glenn today. He said they've got five players getting ready to make college decisions, so they're going to do an August 17th commitment show - at a local restaurant I believe - where they all make their announcements.

One of those players, of course, is running back Jaziun Patterson, who visited Iowa on July 25th and left town with the Hawkeyes as his favorite.

Glenn was on that visit with Patterson and said he was also impressed by what he saw in Iowa City.

"That was my first visit to Iowa," said Glenn. "I really wanted to go out there for myself to see things for not only him, but for future players they might recruit and I was very impressed."

"You know, you go out there thinking one thing and come back thinking another."

"Obviously, they had the much publicized issue with the strength coach a while back, so to see some of the changes that they've made and talk to some of the current players about the plans they’ve implemented to be more diverse as a program was really good to see. That was one of my biggest concerns going in."

"At the end of the day, everybody has nice facilities and nice uniforms, but it’s the people that you’re going to be around every day that are the most important, and there are a lot of great people there that love Iowa football."

Coaching in South Florida, Glenn has known Iowa running backs coach Ladell Betts for some time now and likes the way he's gone about recruiting Patterson.

"He’s doing a great job of recruiting Jaziun and making him a priority," Glenn said. "He’s been awesome. He recruits with the passion of a former player. He’s been there and done it Iowa, so he brings that angle and really bleeds black and gold."

Glenn also feels the offense at Iowa and their zone-based running scheme could be a good fit for Patterson's skill set.

"A lot of what Iowa does now is what Ladell did when he was there and it fits Jaziun well because he’s a downhill runner with physicality, elusiveness, and vision."

Glenn had nothing but praise for Patterson off the field as well.

"He’s a great kid. He’s so quiet you wouldn’t even know he’s Jaziun Patterson if someone didn’t tell you. He’s real down to earth and real sociable. He’s the kind of kid that could go anywhere in the country and fit in socially as well as academically because he’s a great student. We don’t have an qualms about him wherever he may attend."

While this year's Deerfield Beach team might not quite have the star power of some previous years - alums include Jerry Jeudy, Denard Robinson, Brandon Powell, Jaylan Knighton, Riley Ridley, and a whole bunch of other highly ranked recruits - he does feel they have a real chance to make school history in 2021.

"We’re excited. We’ve got a really good team coming back and we’ve been working hard. We’re going to try to make history and be the first team from Deerfield Beach to win it all."

If they are able to accomplish that, it will likely mean a big season for Patterson, who led the team with 511 yards and seven touchdowns in five games last season.

"I think he can carry us all the way," said Glenn. "He’s a three down back, a triple threat that can do it all. Wherever we go, he’s going to be the one to lead us."

Here are the five players Deerfield Beach has set to announce their college decision on August 17:

Jaziun Patterson
Alton Tarber
Daterius Lee
David Conner
Joseph Kennerly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News