ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Four-star safety looking to make return trip to Iowa

Apr 8, 2003
Four-star safety looking to make return trip to Iowa

kukinns9cpopqyoplw9b

Four star safety Antonio Johnson is looking to make a return trip to Iowa.

Tom Kakert • HawkeyeReport.com
@hawkeyereport

Antonio Johnson was on his home turf on Sunday afternoon at the Rivals Camp Series event.

The East St. Louis native certainly felt at home and walked away with MVP honors among the defensive backs at the final camp stop of the year.

The 6-foot-3 four star safety prospect in the Class of 2020 holds over 20 scholarship offers, including one from Iowa. He visited Iowa City earlier this year and a long day of travel impacted his enjoyment of the trip.

“We visited Iowa in early March and to be honest, I was kind of sluggish that day from traveling,” he said. “It was a really nice visit and the facilities were great. I told them I want to come back again to get the full feel of the program, but I really good a good feeling about the program from the visit.”

Iowa special teams coordinator Levar Woods is leading Iowa’s recruiting efforts with Johnson and he’s been pitching him on a return trip in June.

“I talk with Coach Woods on a regular basis and he’s a great guy. We have been talking about coming up in June for another visit, but I haven’t figured out my visit schedule yet.”

One current Iowa player that is helping make Iowa more attractive to Johnson, who Rivals.com ranks as the 101st best player in his class, is A.J. Epenesa.

“He’s a legend down here,” Johnson said of Epenesa. “He’s doing great things up there and having success and that really opens your eyes.”

What also opens Johnson’s eyes about Iowa is the success of their defensive backs and putting them in the NFL under the watchful eye of Phil Parker.

“Any program that is putting defensive backs into the NFL on a regular basis is going to be something that grabs your attention in recruiting.”

Johnson said he would like to make visits to LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, and Tennessee this summer. Those are schools that he hasn’t seen at this point. He also made it clear that he’s not close to making a decision.

“I’m still wide open with my recruitment.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News