ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Radio Call in show 7pm, March 4 & 9

OnceAhawk

HB MVP
Jan 29, 2015
Hawk Talk with Fran McCaffery is the weekly radio call-in show of Iowa's head men's basketball coach.

Hosted by Gary Dolphin, the radio voice of the Hawkeyes, Hawk Talk is 90 minutes of discussion about Iowa basketball.

All shows originate from Applebee's in Coralville, and are broadcast live on participating affiliates of the Hawkeye Radio Network beginning at 7 p.m. Iowa time.

Hawk Talk with Fran McCaffery, 2014-15

All shows are live from Applebee's in Coralville
March

4 (Wed.), 9 (Mon.)

Listen to the radio show and every IOWA game with the free http://tunein.com/radio/Iowa-Hawkeyes-Sports-Network-powered-by-Learfield-Sports-s231143/

This post was edited on 3/4 3:20 PM by OnceAhawk

Re: Fran Radio Call in show 7pm, March 4 & 9

Got my call in, pretty slow night on the lines it sounds like.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Maybe because we played on the road last night after playing on the road Saturday

Don't leave us hanging Kwik, what question did you ask Fran? I also forgot about the show, anyone who listened could give us the summary of the show, like any recruiting news?

First call of the night. Just asked him to describe how they handle short turnarounds and getting the body ready to play on the road - or just the B1G in general. From training table - to rest - to diet. That sort of thing. He gave a pretty good description of life on the road lately.

The recruiting nugget that stuck out was that he is in fact thinking of keeping one of the two, if not both, available for use in the '16 class. Basically stating that in order to get the guys they want, those guys typically want to know they can be a starter day 1. Said obviously that's not always the case and that there are several variables that go into the recruiting game.

Pretty interesting show, as per usual when Fran takes the mic.

Originally posted by kwik44:
First call of the night. Just asked him to describe how they handle short turnarounds and getting the body ready to play on the road - or just the B1G in general. From training table - to rest - to diet. That sort of thing. He gave a pretty good description of life on the road lately.

The recruiting nugget that stuck out was that he is in fact thinking of keeping one of the two, if not both, available for use in the '16 class. Basically stating that in order to get the guys they want, those guys typically want to know they can be a starter day 1. Said obviously that's not always the case and that there are several variables that go into the recruiting game.

He's probably going after some pretty big fish in 2016. Hopefully the Hawks can make a good run and Fran can use it as ammo on the 2016 summer circuit.

Maybe Fran will go the international route and snag a big one, like that one Italian? guy fishing in the river that happened to pull out a 247lb catfish out of nowhere, good news, he released back into the river....

Originally posted by LaoHawk:
Maybe Fran will go the international route and snag a big one, like that one Italian? guy fishing in the river that happened to pull out a 247lb catfish out of nowhere, good news, he released back into the river....
I'm kind of hoping he'll look for tall, skinny black guys from London.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:

The recruiting nugget that stuck out was that he is in fact thinking of keeping one of the two, if not both, available for use in the '16 class. Basically Said obviously that's not always the case and that there are several variables that go into the recruiting game.

He's probably going after some pretty big fish in 2016. Hopefully the Hawks can make a good run and Fran can use it as ammo on the 2016 summer circuit.
Considering we lose 2 PG's (Gesell & Clemmons) Woody & Uthoff..Fran is going to have alot to sell when it comes to PT..

as of now 2016-2017 roster,

(Sr) Jok
(Jr) Uhl
(So) Ellingson, Fleming, Moss, Hutton, Wagner
(Fr) Pemsl
(5) available

.....this summer/fall will be really interesting to follow recruiting for class 2016..

stating that in order to get the guys they want, those guys typically want to know they can be a starter day 1. Said obviously that's not always the case and that there are several variables that go into the recruiting game.

I'm usually not one for "banking" scholarships because turnover is so high, but it might make sense if we finish the season well and create some "buzz" in the NCAAs. Next year we have to replace 4 seniors, 3 of whom start and the 4th who will be the first man off the bench. That is a lot.

Heard that. Really spoke to why they have had a hard time recruiting to PG and the 4/5 position with who they had coming back on the roster the last few years. The opportunity to sell major PT is now in play at the 4/5 position (with Gabe/White graduating and Woody the following year) and PG after next season (with MG and Sap graduating the following year).

This 2016 class could be the big payoff that we have been waiting for...lots for Fran to sell at the 1,4,5 (seem pretty well stacked at the 2/3 spot but still hoping to add Santos).

While you want a kid with confidence, I think it's rather sad to think that there are coaches who recruit that way, and that kids have this mentality. .

This post was edited on 3/5 7:30 PM by IamHawkeye

I don't know that it's sad, just the way it is. Top 100 kids don't want to go to places where the don't have a clear path for playing time their first couple of years.

I don't think it makes them bad people, just kind of how it is today.

I'm all in favor of banking both unless they can get someone they think can help immediately. That would give us a huge 2016 class...6 scholarships, with one spoken for in Pemsl. He could really go after some big fish with that much playing time available.

Originally posted by DodgerHawki:
I don't know that it's sad, just the way it is. Top 100 kids don't want to go to places where the don't have a clear path for playing time their first couple of years.

No not bad people, just sort of sad (to me anyway) that this is the way it is today. Just hope he doesn't hold it open too long and come in second. Anyway, while I cheer for all Hawkeyes, I will always cheer extra for guys like White, and others(like Stokes, Oliver, Moe, etc, who were happy to be Hawkeyes, didn't always start and gave us four good years. Or like Settles, five. :)

Originally posted by gojojo:
I'm all in favor of banking both unless they can get someone they think can help immediately. That would give us a huge 2016 class...6 scholarships, with one spoken for in Pemsl. He could really go after some big fish with that much playing time available.
I agree he has to go out and find someone who can at least become an instant impact player. If there is PG that is transferring, then maybe take them because they could sit out next year while we still have Clemmons/Gessell and then have them take over the following year?

Anyone know anything about the Big man out of Gary, IN? Are we even on his radar?

Originally posted by DodgerHawki:

The guys going to Kentucky and Kansas and Duke don't feel that way. Maybe the top rated guys don't care because they think they are NBA material. Guys in the 80-100 range seem to care more.

The class of 2016 will be one of the very best Iowa has had in basketball in a long long time.

Charlie Moore
KJ Santos
Cordell Pemsl
Nick Rakocevic
Austin Davis

how is that for going out on a limp?

This post was edited on 3/6 5:39 AM by hawk-i bob

This post was edited on 3/6 5:44 AM by hawk-i bob

This post was edited on 3/6 5:48 AM by hawk-i bob

I think we need a big right away to get experience in the middle with Gabe leaving. Plus Woody will need a backup next year! Guards will be hard to replace the next year so I hope we can land both a quality high schooler and an experienced juco. It will be fun to follow but ultimately we got to trust the man Fran.

Originally posted by hawk-i bob:

The class of 2016 will be one of the very best Iowa has had in basketball in a long long time.

Charlie Moore
KJ Santos
Cordell Pemsl
Nick Rakocevic
Austin Davis

how is that for going out on a limp?

This post was edited on 3/6 5:39 AM by hawk-i bob

This post was edited on 3/6 5:44 AM by hawk-i bob

This post was edited on 3/6 5:48 AM by hawk-i bob
Dream class but one that isn't out of question, all of those guys seem to be in play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT