ADVERTISEMENT

Fran tells P-C he's "thinking about" changing the starting lineup

Changes in the lineup would be welcomed by all except the starters, but McC shouldn't worry about that. I still want to see Keegan on the floor but everyone else should be interchangeable depending on their health and consistency. This year was a huge change from last year, with role players stepping into major roles. JoBo is not the shooter he once was. That needs to be addressed in the minutes, for sure.

Someone above said above that Iowa is an average team. That's pretty much what the positive consensus was before the season. I really didn't expect this team to make the NCAA tournament unless they had quite a bit of luck. Considering that the best player (Keegan) has been injured part of the year and in a funk lately, I am not surprised that the record is what it is. Iowa has a lot of inexperienced talent. I think the next 2 years will be better than this year, especially if the bigs come along.

Lots of good points by posters on this.............I would love to have JBo (who I supported for a long time) tell Fran that he is the problem with this team. Just man up and come forward and say I will make free throws at the end of the game to help this team. It is just so obvious that he is not right with his game now. I do believe this would be a turning point for the whole team if he did.

Lots of good points by posters on this.............I would love to have JBo (who I supported for a long time) tell Fran that he is the problem with this team. Just man up and come forward and say I will make free throws at the end of the game to help this team. It is just so obvious that he is not right with his game now. I do believe this would be a turning point for the whole team if he did.
The day it becomes a player's responsibility to remove himself from the starting lineup is the day the head coach should be fired.

Reactions: RomanHawk
If all the jbo minutes from the start of the season would have gone to Perkins, Sandfort and Ulis like they should have this is a significantly better team at this point.

Same with Kris and Connor.

The pieces for a tournament team were there but they weren't allowed to grow into the proper roles.

The day it becomes a player's responsibility to remove himself from the starting lineup is the day the head coach should be fired.
Agreed, but that won’t happen. I told my brother something similar last night, i wish jbo would just tell Fran, hey im hurting the team being out there for 30+mpg. Bring me in for short spurts and let me get up some 3’s and the end of games for ft’s. IMO, jbo is just tarnishing his “legacy” at Iowa by playing the way he is. But you’re right, he shouldn’t be the one starting that conversation, it should be Fran.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
I have a feeling that JoBo has already had the conversation with McC. But the last thing that McC would want to do is agree with him. It's not mechanical, it's between his ears. I agree that JoBo should play less minutes but as a starter he still forces opponents to keep someone on him.

IMHO the problem is that teams know they can double Keegan down low with their center. Keegan hasn't been passing out of that very effectively recently and teams are banking on that. If Iowa plays Keegan, Kris and PMac at the interior spots, then someone will be open for a bucket. With Rebraca it gets more complicated since his range is pretty much within 10 feet. I think starting Kris over Rebraca is the next step.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I don't understand why so many include Pat in the top 5. He may be worse than JBO on defense, is a poor rebounder, drives to the basket are nothing more than TOs, has no dependable outside shot....
Where is his value?

Compare him to Aaron White. Same size, both have decent handles, neither have dependable outside shot, BUT White rebounded and when he went to the basket it was almost aways a basket or free throw (and he was much better at that) or both. He was an impact player. Pat, not at all.
Pat and White are not similar players at all. White was more filled out, more physical, and had way better explosion and timing. Watching him head to the hoop you knew he was jamming the lob. Pmac has no timing on lobs and very little explosion. I'm sure his battle and recovery from cancer robbed him of some of his physical attributes, but the only thing those to have in common was their both about 6'9" and thats about all......

Pat and White are not similar players at all. White was more filled out, more physical, and had way better explosion and timing. Watching him head to the hoop you knew he was jamming the lob. Pmac has no timing on lobs and very little explosion. I'm sure his battle and recovery from cancer robbed him of some of his physical attributes, but the only thing those to have in common was their both about 6'9" and thats about all......

PMac was/is a better shooter, I'll give him that.

I have a feeling that JoBo has already had the conversation with McC. But the last thing that McC would want to do is agree with him. It's not mechanical, it's between his ears. I agree that JoBo should play less minutes but as a starter he still forces opponents to keep someone on him.

IMHO the problem is that teams know they can double Keegan down low with their center. Keegan hasn't been passing out of that very effectively recently and teams are banking on that. If Iowa plays Keegan, Kris and PMac at the interior spots, then someone will be open for a bucket. With Rebraca it gets more complicated since his range is pretty much within 10 feet. I think starting Kris over Rebraca is the next step.
So you DID agree with me last week. You just couldn't bring yourself to say it. I KNEW it!

Rebraca's range is a lot less then 10 feet, plus he's been mishandling rebounds and passes that indicate that his hands are either too small or soft enough to handle the basketball. Not terrible, but does concern me.

Rebraca's range is a lot less then 10 feet, plus he's been mishandling rebounds and passes that indicate that his hands are either too small or soft enough to handle the basketball. Not terrible, but does concern me.
Rebraca leads the team in rebounding in the per 40 minutes stat. He has had relatively few turnovers, too. Maybe the passes weren't great? Otherwise you would think that hw would be worse statistically in these 2 categories.

I'm pretty sure Fran is some sort of idiot savant or something. He sees a different game than I do. Him thinking putting Jordan at the point because 2-guards are continually attacking and posting him up...is moronic. So you think Jordan will be better stopping penetration from the top point guards in the league? Are you kidding me? Jordan guarding any Illinois, OSU, Wisconsin or Purdue guard is easily as much a mismatch at the point.

When Jordan is getting good looks through our normal offense or in transition...play him. If Jordan is locked up in a half court game against a good defender and has to force shots, limit his minutes. He's going to be a liability on defense regardless, but if he is out-scoring the liability...play him.

Toussaint, Perkins, and Ulis need to play. They are athletic...we defend better, and we get to loose balls and long rebounds. I'm dumbfounded by what Fran is saying.

New lineup should be :
Rebraca
Keegan
PMac
Kris
Joe T
When they get gassed could be in Big trouble but sprinkle in
Tony
Peyton
Josh or Mulvey
Jordan
Ullis
And get starters back in as soon as they recover.
If you need a 3
Try a minute or 2 of Ash or Luketa(sp)

Reactions: Chekster1
PMac was/is a better shooter, I'll give him that.
Pmac is a career 42% shooter. White was a career 52% shooter. This year Pmac is a 33% 3 point shooter. White shot 35% from long range his senior year. I guess Pmac isn't a better shooter.

Pmac is a career 42% shooter. White was a career 52% shooter. This year Pmac is a 33% 3 point shooter. White shot 35% from long range his senior year. I guess Pmac isn't a better shooter.
Just an FYI, I am not saying that either was/is a good 3 pt shooter at Iowa, but that senior year stat is not representative of White's career at Iowa. Although he shot 35.6% as a senior, White was a career 28% 3 pt shooter a Iowa. His senior year was a blip. His first 3 years he shot 28%, 23% and 26%, for a whopping 25% for his first 3 years.

PMac is at 31% and going up as a career 3 pt shooter. PMac's first 2 years were substantially better from the 3 than White's.

That said, White was a better all-around rebounder and interior player than PMac has been, but PMac has a very high ceiling that has been limited by illness. He will get better as he gets stronger and healthier. He already looks a lot better than he did in his limited minutes last year, but he has a long way to go.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, I am not said that either was/is a good 3 pt shooter at Iowa, but that senior year stat is not representative of White's career at Iowa. Although he shot 35.6% as a senior, White was a career 28% 3 pt shooter a Iowa. His senior year was a blip. His first 3 years he shot 28%, 23% and 26%, for a whopping 25% for his first 3 years.

PMac is at 31% and going up as a career 3 pt shooter. PMac's first 2 years were substantially better from the 3 than White's.

That said, White was a better all-around rebounder and interior player than PMac has been, but PMac has a very high ceiling that has been limited by illness. He will get better as he gets stronger and healthier. He already looks a lot better than he did in his limited minutes last year, but he has a long way to go.
Yeah. White really improved his 3 point shooting into his senior year.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Keegan
PMac
Kris
Sandfort
Joe T. *
*I wouldn't be opposed to starting Perkins and bringing Joe T. off the bench to further change things up.

That team would get killed on the boards, and without Joey T you don't even have a reliable ball handler. I can see changes, but we cannot get smaller and remain competitive in the Big Ten.

My god.

The bball IQ on this board is even lower than Fran's.

How is THAT possible?

Just look at this clueless fvck:
USATSI_12395608-1024x683.jpg

That team would get killed on the boards, and without Joey T you don't even have a reliable ball handler. I can see changes, but we cannot get smaller and remain competitive in the Big Ten.
That team would be bigger, not smaller than the current line up. I think with the Murrays and Sandfort ball handling would be fine WITH Joe at the point. i agree that Perkins is not really an option at the point.

No offense to Patrick, but to compare him in any way to White is just ludicrous.
I don’t think their game is that similar, but if I were PMac I’d try to pattern my game after White. They have similar builds and athleticism. PMac needs to add strength and toughness. PMac is a better shooter than White was, but White had an incredible knack for finishing in close and in transition.

PMac is a better shooter than White was, but White had an incredible knack for finishing in close and in transition.
No he does not shoot better than Aaron White. It was just proven he shoots at a worse percentage. There are some real dumb f&$ks on this board.

And if Fran had a half a brain, he’d start Keegan, Kris, Joe T, Perkins, and either Pat or Philip. Put the most athletic team on the court to start the game as well as to end both halves. A change I might also make is putting Ulis on the court depending on height issue as well. Smaller line ups put Ulis out there with Joe T, Perkins, Keegan, and Kris. That’s the most athletic line up and we have never seen it.

Reactions: HotelAlphaWilcoKilo
No offense to Patrick, but to compare him in any way to White is just ludicrous.
The comparison was for 3 pt shooting. They are totally different players, although I think PMac would like to add more inside game to his arsenal.

No he does not shoot better than Aaron White. It was just proven he shoots at a worse percentage. There are some real dumb f&$ks on this board.

And if Fran had a half a brain, he’d start Keegan, Kris, Joe T, Perkins, and either Pat or Philip. Put the most athletic team on the court to start the game as well as to end both halves. A change I might also make is putting Ulis on the court depending on height issue as well. Smaller line ups put Ulis out there with Joe T, Perkins, Keegan, and Kris. That’s the most athletic line up and we have never seen it.
It’s hard for you to grasp, I get it. You can be a better shooter and have a lower shooting percentage than someone else. It’s called shot selection. That’s why centers typically have a better shooing percentage than 3 point shooters. PMac is a decent 3 point shooter and getting better. As pointed out above, White was never a great 3 point shooter, and was a poor 3 point shooter his first 3 years. White shot a very high percentage overall because he dunked the ball a lot and rarely shot beyond 6 feet out.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
I think Sandfort has earned a minute increase, but if we’re being realistic and knowing Fran

1. Joe
2. Kris/Pat
3. Kris/Pat
4. Keegan
5. Filip

OR

1. Joe
2. Jordan
3. Pat
4. Keegan
5. Kris

I don’t think the change will be as drastic as many of us would like, but Kris would undoubtedly enter the starting lineup
Now is the time to REALLY shake it up. With Billy being the temp HC, have him take the chance... Yes, all changes are Fran's, but he won't be there to answer to them. Not to the players and not to the media... Now is the time.

ADVERTISEMENT