ADVERTISEMENT

Freight Train Instagram

Coach is that Charles Mathews in the picture? Is he as fun of a guy as he looks? No one looks happier to be on the bench than him at meets.

Reactions: Slim45
Coach is that Charles Mathews in the picture? Is he as fun of a guy as he looks? No one looks happier to be on the bench than him at meets.
He really is. I love the kid. Had some great conversations with him prior to Gabe's commitment. Us coming to Iowa is a chance to be a home for all the wrestlers who aren't lucky to have parents around here and want some home "treatment". Be it a meal, help with homework, parental advice.
This is our kid's family for the next 4 or 5 years, if not longer. His team is now a part of his family, so that makes them a part of ours as well.

He really is. I love the kid. Had some great conversations with him prior to Gabe's commitment. Us coming to Iowa is a chance to be a home for all the wrestlers who aren't lucky to have parents around here and want some home "treatment". Be it a meal, help with homework, parental advice.
This is our kid's family for the next 4 or 5 years, if not longer. His team is now a part of his family, so that makes them a part of ours as well.
That's really great to hear. He seems like someone who will go places in life. So glad to see you and your family as a positive influence on the whole team. Makes me excited for this up and coming group. This group that is mostly all graduated now with SL ADS, Murrin, KY, the Bull, Kem Dawg Warner and Cass was really special for me at least and I'm glad the next group is taking the batton.

positive influence- you said it redm and i agree.i hope coach is not just the cool dad sometimes tough love is needed and i am sure he has had some experience in this area being a father with such fine kids.

positive influence- you said it redm and i agree.i hope coach is not just the cool dad sometimes tough love is needed and i am sure he has had some experience in this area being a father with such fine kids.
This coach is NOT the cool dad. Just had that talk with the boy. EVERY action has consequences. Some positive. Some negative. My old man was NEVER my friend. He was my FATHER up until the day we lost him. I’m not here to be my kid’s friend nor his teammates friend or the “cool dad”. Anyone of them F around, I’ll be the first to make sure they find out. And once I get done with with, then they have to face mama Liz. No one wants that. (Don’t worry, a fist full of Hawkeye will get pics…)

This coach is NOT the cool dad. Just had that talk with the boy. EVERY action has consequences. Some positive. Some negative. My old man was NEVER my friend. He was my FATHER up until the day we lost him. I’m not here to be my kid’s friend nor his teammates friend or the “cool dad”. Anyone of them F around, I’ll be the first to make sure they find out. And once I get done with with, then they have to face mama Liz. No one wants that. (Don’t worry, a fist full of Hawkeye will get pics…)
Well now you're talking about her face, so we have to get pics, right?

PS I respect and love everything you've said, do, and will continue to do not only for your family, but the others you bring in as well.

The Hawks are very blessed to have the Arnolds around.

BWAHAHAHAHA. So many inappropriate, socially unacceptable booth names just came to mind. . . .
Well, do tell…..
Drama Popcorn GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkMD
I'm thinking you should set up a food booth with that menu during home meets, maybe next to the Carver cones. Likely to make a pile of cash....and maybe cover your costs for feeding all those strays.
I feel like if they added like 5 more soft serve machines at Carver there still would be a constant line.

Reactions: el dub
Well, do tell…..
Drama Popcorn GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show
I just can't. . . . . I'm afraid of snowflakes, and people feelings, and I have to remain completely unbiased, and the proud parent of a Hawkeye wrestler, lest people from the "other" programs get butt sore and talk bad about me which of course would cause me to have a complex and get MORE counseling.

It's just not worth it at this time. . . . so I'll be like my kid in his last podcast interview and remain politically correct, saying all nice things about everyone.

I just can't. . . . . I'm afraid of snowflakes, and people feelings, and I have to remain completely unbiased, and the proud parent of a Hawkeye wrestler, lest people from the "other" programs get butt sore and talk bad about me which of course would cause me to have a complex and get MORE counseling.

It's just not worth it at this time. . . . so I'll be like my kid in his last podcast interview and remain politically correct, saying all nice things about everyone.
Okay do tell…which podcast was he on. I would like to hear that.

disappointed

I’m an outlier, a Lion fan who always wants Iowa to be as strong as possible. Two reasons. Iron sharpens iron, and I prefer nailbiting duals and matches over yawners. It’s why I’m glad to have seen this thread and learned about the Arnold family. Doesn’t take more than a post or two to like Coach Phil’s moral compass and feel his family’s strength. Knowing it’ll now be shared with Gabe’s teammates over 4-5 years is great news for those who want college wrestling’s best rivalry to never have its dual winner reach 20 team points.

Well said!

Reactions: el dub and sabula
Coach Phil posted on Instagram another Sunday gathering. Looks like fajitas this time with Gabe, Kolby Franklin and Kale Petersen (maybe more). No pictures of his wife cooking.

Coach Phil posted on Instagram another Sunday gathering. Looks like fajitas this time with Gabe, Kolby Franklin and Kale Petersen (maybe more). No pictures of his wife cooking.
Hell, because I COOKED! Got me a new Blackstone and wanted to fire it up. So I did the fajita thing. She cooked beans and rice so the boys could make bowls. But either way, it was a good time!!

Hell, because I COOKED! Got me a new Blackstone and wanted to fire it up. So I did the fajita thing. She cooked beans and rice so the boys could make bowls. But either way, it was a good time!!
now i really need pics of chef in action

All right then. There’s no need to post pictures of you cooking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT