ADVERTISEMENT

From your resident lab guy---Covid ain't over

They aren't at all contradictory. We can either wear masks continuously...forever?... in case there's a potentially hazardous new variant on the horizon or we can wear masks when conditions warrant wearing masks. Which do you think would be more effective and more likely to be followed?

The vaccines are highly effective against Delta...but too many f'n people aren't vaccinated and those who are can still serve as vectors to infect those unvaxxed asshats...and I'm including EVERYONE who can be vaccinated but isn't in that group. We'd likely have to be at 90+% vaccinated given how infectious Delta is but, given the alternative, why not get vaccinated? That so many aren't is NOT the fault of the CDC.
I don't mean to sound like I'm blaming the CDC for this at all. I'm not. They're doing their best, as far as I can tell. I'm, personally, not opposed to wearing masks as long as it takes. I've never stopped wearing one. I've monitored the UK's spike, and I knew this thing was not over, even back in May and June.

As I said, my niece came down in late June from MN, to visit, and we (she, I and my girlfriend) went to downtown Greenville, SC. My niece had just graduated high school and wasn't vaccinated. Myself and my gf were (I had my first Moderna only, at that time). But, I had my mask, as did my gf and niece. The entire downtown of Greenville was PACKED on a Friday night, and that was the first time since the summer of 2019 that I'd been downtown. I was shocked at how much it looked exactly like 2019! No one had masks on! We were like aliens down there. I was really taken aback because of how much the people had just abandoned the precautions. It filled me with dread. I knew that they were all done with the precautions. And, I knew they couldn't possibly all be vaccinated. Greenville was THE WORST county in SC with #'s of cases and deaths!

I also, for some reason, have this need to compare this situation to 1918. It took more than 2 full years to totally burn-out. I never thought this was over, even WITH the vaccines!

Last edited:
No. Just.... No. This is a result of Trumpism, pure and simple. This is NOT a case of "all political parties are the same" - not in the least. You are wrong and the fact you can't see that or won't admit it is a HUGE reason why we have the divisions in our country that we do right now.
Right... we didn't experience deep political and social divisions until Donald Trump showed-up. This place has been deeply divided for damn-near 50 years or more. It gets worse and worse.

Stick to the cowardly laughing emojis. It's really all you offer, and that ain't much.

Right... we didn't experience deep political and social divisions until Donald Trump showed-up. This place has been deeply divided for damn-near 50 years or more. It gets worse and worse.

Stick to the cowardly laughing emojis. It's really all you offer, and that ain't much.
You're full of shit with this take. Can't even imagine someone trying to suggest the divisions in the country over the last 5 years are similar to the last 50 years. Unless, of course, you're comparing to exactly 50 years ago - then I agree, we are at a similar level. Because Trump put this country back at least a half century.

Far more? African Americans are the least vaccinated racial group and they vote 90% Dem.

Hispanics are the second least vaccinated and they go 65% Dem.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-cov...data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

Problem is wider than MAGA....even though that’s the convenient narrative

Blacks make up 13% of the entire U.S. population.

You're full of shit with this take. Can't even imagine someone trying to suggest the divisions in the country over the last 5 years are similar to the last 50 years. Unless, of course, you're comparing to exactly 50 years ago - then I agree, we are at a similar level. Because Trump put this country back at least a half century.
Well, no, because prior to the 1960s, I don't think there was anywhere near the divisions that came from the Vietnam War, Civil Rights, and all of the other cultural divisions of that decade alone. The trust of government and its institutions was totally diminished in the 1960s. You have "America: Love it or leave it" conservatives, and the youth/counter-culture liberals. It goes on through the 70s.

Ronald Reagan and his conservative/religious/moral majority creates yet another chasm. Then the Fairness Doctrine is gone and it opens the gates for "news channels" which sell a product of division by political indoctrination. GHWB and Desert Storm is another division. The Clinton Administration, and the right-wing media's constant conflict-- not to mention Clinton's own shitty choices and behaviors, privately-- makes 8 years of boiling division. The GW Bush and the 2000 SCOTUS election scam, then 9-11 and 8 yeears of needless war! The 8 years of Obama and I thought I'd seen the worst of all possible divisions during his administration (although, I personally liked Obama). But, the divisions and lines were clearly drawn before Trump ever came to the circus. He did build a big circus tent. But, the supplies were already there.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Blacks make up 13% of the entire U.S. population.
It's a little over 14% actually but African Americans make up a very low percentage in certain areas and are a majority in some Southern counties.
Very low numbers in Montana or Wyoming or Vermont, but more Black Americans in the lower South. And fewer Blacks as a whole are getting the vaccine in many of those counties in Southern states.

Well, no, because prior to the 1960s, I don't think there was anywhere near the divisions that came from the Vietnam War, Civil Rights, and all of the other cultural divisions of that decade alone. The trust of government and its institutions was totally diminished in the 1960s. You have "America: Love it or leave it" conservatives, and the youth/counter-culture liberals. It goes on through the 70s.

Ronald Reagan and his conservative/religious/moral majority creates yet another chasm. Then the Fairness Doctrine is gone and it opens the gates for "news channels" which sell a product of division by political indoctrination. GHWB and Desert Storm is another division. The Clinton Administration, and the right-wing media's constant conflict-- not to mention Clinton's own shitty choices and behaviors, privately-- makes 8 years of boiling division. The GW Bush and the 2000 SCOTUS election scam, then 9-11 and 8 yeears of needless war! The 8 years of Obama and I thought I'd seen the worst of all possible divisions during his administration (although, I personally liked Obama). But, the divisions and lines were clearly drawn before Trump ever came to the circus. He did build a big circus tent. But, the supplies were already there.
No - **** no. There were disagreements but the divisions were leveraged by Trump. They did start with Obama and McConnell declaring he had no interest in what was good for the country, only that there he was there to prevent Obama from being a 2 term president. Trump put the division in hyperdrive and exploited it for his own grift. Unfortunately too many of you didn't see through it and contributed to his efforts. It's an real shame.

No - **** no. There were disagreements but the divisions were leveraged by Trump. They did start with Obama and McConnell declaring he had no interest in what was good for the country, only that there he was there to prevent Obama from being a 2 term president. Trump put the division in hyperdrive and exploited it for his own grift. Unfortunately too many of you didn't see through it and contributed to his efforts. It's an real shame.
You stick with your cowardice laughing emojis and you'll be fine. And, continue to blame Trump for everything. That's what a committed, partisan disciple always does.

As much of a shit-heel human being as he is, Trump didn't do it alone. The stage was set when he showed-up and all he did was exploit it. He has no interest in anyone else, but he will gladly con whoever he can. Regardless, the people had to be willing to go along with it, and they did.

Politicians are con-men (or women)- it's a prerequisite for the job in American politics. Taken individually, you can find empathy in a few of them, occasionally. But, as a collective whole? They will always protect what is in the best interest of the political institutions over the people.

• Haha
Well I don't like that one bit. I'm glad we got our trip to Hawaii in when we could. On the flip side, I read the Delta variant ripped though England so fast that when cases were expected to shoot to the moon they started dropping because there were no more people to infect. I probably bastardized that article, but hopefully we are getting that way here too.

Reactions: cndyman
You stick with your cowardice laughing emojis and you'll be fine. And, continue to blame Trump for everything. That's what a committed, partisan disciple always does.

As much of a shit-heel human being as he is, Trump didn't do it alone. The stage was set when he showed-up and all he did was exploit it. He has no interest in anyone else, but he will gladly con whoever he can. Regardless, the people had to be willing to go along with it, and they did.

Politicians are con-men (or women)- it's a prerequisite for the job in American politics. Taken individually, you can find empathy in a few of them, occasionally. But, as a collective whole? They will always protect what is in the best interest of the political institutions over the people.
Complete bullshit, again. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

VACCINATED (red is just "symptomatic")
E7otfnqUYAMSKuG

UNVACCINATED (red is actually hospitalized)
E7paezWUcAAar2f

Reactions: goldmom
There is a difference in severity, so far, between vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. That is that vaccinated individuals show milder or moderate clinical symptoms compared to their unvaccinated counterparts. The problem is that unvaccinated individuals are now surging and this surge leads to the creation of more viral mutations just due to the sheer number of viral particles being produced. The number of vaccinated individuals in the US is way too low and we are sincerely running out of time or life will revert to March 2020.

Will start by saying everyone should get vaccinated to reduce risk and not flood the healthcare system. However, I think this is a bit of a "micro" view of things. Unfortunately, even if we vaccinated every US citizen the more poorer countries can't vaccinate and are going to generate the variants. 100 years ago the US could protect itself. Now the world is more global and open travel accelerates pandemics.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and goldmom
I’m seeing posts/links that claim a big fraction of those testing positive currently are vaccinated individuals. for eg theres another thread indicating that 74% of massachusettsians testing +ve are fully vaxxed. It’s also reported (as in this thread) that vaccinated folks who are getting infected show little to no symptoms/discomfort, it’s the unvaxxed who suffer poor outcomes — now this makes sense because it fits expectations. But at the same time, i see no explanation for why vaccinated folks who are not experiencing any problems are so heavily represented in the tested population? Is this real data or mostly extrapolated from tiny numbers?

If I had to guess, the people who are vaccinated value their personal health and the health of others. My suspicion is if they get a sniffle or slight cough, they go to get tested to make sure they are safe around their family and can go back to work.

If you're an anti-vaxxer who thinks covid is fake, why would you go to get tested? It would be like me testing my yard for unicorn poop. The only way the anti-vax crowd gets tested is when they're short of breath in the ER and things are pretty dire.

Will start by saying everyone should get vaccinated to reduce risk and not flood the healthcare system. However, I think this is a bit of a "micro" view of things. Unfortunately, even if we vaccinated every US citizen the more poorer countries can't vaccinate and are going to generate the variants. 100 years ago the US could protect itself. Now the world is more global and open travel accelerates pandemics.
Ah. So the southern border IS a weak point re unvaxxed migrants who are testing positive at higher rates. Yet we aren't able to stanch the flow because...😤

• Haha
Lol, what a false narrative. The MRNA technology existed well before covid but hadn't been used yet. Pfizer is a German company that accepted no money from operation warp speed.
But they're being paid handsomely now. And they and Moderna have just announced price increases.

Lol, what a false narrative. The MRNA technology existed well before covid but hadn't been used yet. Pfizer is a German company that accepted no money from operation warp speed.
And got the proverbial "Covid Vaccine Gold Medal" for finishing first.

Lots of black people are watching FoxNews?
Jesus, will people drop the what aboutism with blacks. Get the vaccine and then point to the black community and call them ignorant like many of you believe them to be.

I finally convinced my black hairdresser to get the vaccine. Her answer, "Blacks shouldn't trust the government based on history. You finally convinced me to get it because you're a doctor and you put it in your arm and your kids arm. If it's good enough for rich white people then it's good enough for my poor black ass." She's a hoot and I love her no BS attitude.

Last edited:

The bureaucracy would still be plodding along and vaccines wouldn't be approved yet. Trump cleared all that bullshit out of the way the best he could.

Under Slow Joe, the normal glacial pace of the bureaucracy has been restored. When the hell are they going to be fully authorized? That simple move would get a lot of the hesitant people off the fence.

• Haha
Question for the lab nerd:

some of my anti-vax family keeps forwarding me stuff from this guy:

https://www.geertvandenbossche.org/...etending-the-covid-19-pandemic-is-toning-down

it's long and too f'n complicated for me to understand but basically i think he's saying that these are leaky vaccines and will end up making the situation worse.

Does it have any merit or is he a quack?

He has a theoretical idea that could be valid but hasn't happened so far. He says you shouldn't combine mass vaccinations in highly infected areas. The idea being is that it leaves a lot of people with really strong immune responses with a ton of virus. This will get rid of all the weak covid variants leaving behind super strain covid variants. Think of killing all the rats in town with rat poison but a few are immune. Those few left behind spread and create a population of super rats. The same sort of idea with antibiotic resistance. It's theoretical at best. The delta strain came out of India when vaccinations were really low. A virus is going to virus- That is a ton of people are infected, the more infected the more viral replication, the more viral replication the more mutations, the more mutations the easier development of dangerous strains.

He is not opposed to vaccinations but just not in highly infected areas. The problem is your anti-vax family masking, social distancing, quarantining after exposure, etc? This would reduce the amount of virus out in the community and thus we could start vaccinations. My guess is they are not, and just using him as an excuse.

The guy is a veternarian and has a PhD in virology. He is more of an expert on viruses than I am as a BS in Bio and and MD. He is a dissenting voice that deserves to be listened to. I don't think he should be silenced. That being said his ideas should drive policy, not be pushed by a political agenda, nor used by the individual against vaccination. This is a health policy/public health debate. Nothing to do with an individual getting vaccinated. He is countered by many more virologists, but if history is worth looking at read the story of Dr. Barry Marhsall. We need our dissenters once in a while.

I should also mention that he is dead wrong- "A rapid and substantial decrease in viral infectivity rates could be achieved by a short-term course of large-scale antiviral chemoprophylaxis (suitable candidates have already been identified) and adequate infection prevention measures while early treatment of symptomatically infected subjects and implementation of a healthy eating (including certain dietary supplements) and lifestyle (including exercise!) plan would further contribute to building herd immunity."

There are no effective chemo prophylaxis to reduce viral load- Not HCQ, not ivermectin, not sunshine (we are in the middle of summer). That part of his narrative to reduce infections is totally false otherwise we'd be doing it.

Blacks/Hispanics aren’t getting vaccinated for the same basic reason MAGA folks aren’t...they don’t trust the government.

Another thing...anti vaxers existed before MAGA.
One group thinks they're getting screwed by the government. The other group historically has been screwed by the government. I'll let you sort out which ones are which.

Ah. So the southern border IS a weak point re unvaxxed migrants who are testing positive at higher rates. Yet we aren't able to stanch the flow because...😤

Not the narrative I was going for. I'm sure some positive immigrants are a minuscule percentage but they have to get pretty far to make it to rural Arkansas, Kansas, and Missouri. Perhaps there are people still rafting their way to Florida from Cuba but my suspicion is that we have to own this one ourselves.

The bureaucracy would still be plodding along and vaccines wouldn't be approved yet.t people off the fence.
ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT

Trump has little, if anything, to do with the approval process.

He did, however fail to coordinate PPE supplies for states, pitting them against one another while his buddies profiteered from the shortages.

He also failed to coordinate a national vaccination plan, leaving that to states already strapped for cash and overwhelmed with PPE acquisitions and testing.

And he continually downplayed the severity of the pandemic, until it was far too late to shift gears on that.

Not the narrative I was going for. I'm sure some positive immigrants are a minuscule percentage but they have to get pretty far to make it to rural Arkansas, Kansas, and Missouri. Perhaps there are people still rafting their way to Florida from Cuba but my suspicion is that we have to own this one ourselves.

Them immigrants were swarming all over Sturgis last August, too.... 🙄

Under Slow Joe, the normal glacial pace of the bureaucracy has been restored. When the hell are they going to be fully authorized?

This has been posted for you several times now.

Neither JNJ OR Moderna HAVE EVEN SUBMITTED for full approval yet. Don't pin that nonsense on FDA.

I'm sure you weren't but you did say poorer countries can't vaccinate. That is definitely applicable to the typical illegal entrant at the southern border.

But they're being paid handsomely now. And they and Moderna have just announced price increases.

If you don't like paying foreign companies for technology (or US companies for that matter) start paying taxes, funding research and development, and invest in schools/universities. America's anti-science/anti-expertise sentiment is causing this. The country that built the atomic bomb and put a man on the moon has stopped investing in research and development.

No one wants to use tax dollars to pay for schools or universities.

USPerf1.jpg

Cuts to K-12 education funding
state-funding-per-student-fy-2008-2015_ia_wi_450.png

Here is university funding
8-22-17highered_f2.png

Now let's do China's

Government expenditure on education and its percentage of GDP, 1992–2017​

figure8.26e.png

1539167812907290.jpg

d41586-020-00084-7_17568894.png

The bureaucracy would still be plodding along and vaccines wouldn't be approved yet. Trump cleared all that bullshit out of the way the best he could.

LOL
He has a theoretical idea that could be valid but hasn't happened so far. He says you shouldn't combine mass vaccinations in highly infected areas. The idea being is that it leaves a lot of people with really strong immune responses with a ton of virus. This will get rid of all the weak covid variants leaving behind super strain covid variants. Think of killing all the rats in town with rat poison but a few are immune. Those few left behind spread and create a population of super rats. The same sort of idea with antibiotic resistance. It's theoretical at best. The delta strain came out of India when vaccinations were really low. A virus is going to virus- That is a ton of people are infected, the more infected the more viral replication, the more viral replication the more mutations, the more mutations the easier development of dangerous strains.

He is not opposed to vaccinations but just not in highly infected areas. The problem is your anti-vax family masking, social distancing, quarantining after exposure, etc? This would reduce the amount of virus out in the community and thus we could start vaccinations. My guess is they are not, and just using him as an excuse.

The guy is a veternarian and has a PhD in virology. He is more of an expert on viruses than I am as a BS in Bio and and MD. He is a dissenting voice that deserves to be listened to. I don't think he should be silenced. That being said his ideas should drive policy, not be pushed by a political agenda, nor used by the individual against vaccination. This is a health policy/public health debate. Nothing to do with an individual getting vaccinated. He is countered by many more virologists, but if history is worth looking at read the story of Dr. Barry Marhsall. We need our dissenters once in a while.

I should also mention that he is dead wrong- "A rapid and substantial decrease in viral infectivity rates could be achieved by a short-term course of large-scale antiviral chemoprophylaxis (suitable candidates have already been identified) and adequate infection prevention measures while early treatment of symptomatically infected subjects and implementation of a healthy eating (including certain dietary supplements) and lifestyle (including exercise!) plan would further contribute to building herd immunity."

There are no effective chemo prophylaxis to reduce viral load- Not HCQ, not ivermectin, not sunshine (we are in the middle of summer). That part of his narrative to reduce infections is totally false otherwise we'd be doing it.

Reactions: Urohawk
Uro, I have zero problem with German Pharmaceuticals. Not sure where you got the idea, but thanks for the graphs nonetheless.

If I had to guess, the people who are vaccinated value their personal health and the health of others. My suspicion is if they get a sniffle or slight cough, they go to get tested to make sure they are safe around their family and can go back to work.

If you're an anti-vaxxer who thinks covid is fake, why would you go to get tested? It would be like me testing my yard for unicorn poop. The only way the anti-vax crowd gets tested is when they're short of breath in the ER and things are pretty dire.
It is the only explanation that is plausible. to take this further then is it a good idea (and should it be recommended) that vaccinated people get tested for things that normally they would not give two hoots about?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT