ADVERTISEMENT

Fun car question...

jonesy5960

HR Legend
Sep 6, 2012
I'm going to be in the market for a fun car this spring. Preferably a convertible that's fun to drive on a narrow windy road but also comfortable enough for long cruises. I was thinking about a Miata but I'm too tall at 6'2" to stretch out like I'd like. I got into a Boxter and fit fine but I wasn't sure how it'd feel on a long trip. Anybody own/owned a car that would fit the bill? I've owned Mustangs in the past but I think I'm over the muscle car thing.

I'm going to be in the market for a fun car this spring. Preferably a convertible that's fun to drive on a narrow windy road but also comfortable enough for long cruises. I was thinking about a Miata but I'm too tall at 6'2" to stretch out like I'd like. I got into a Boxter and fit fine but I wasn't sure how it'd feel on a long trip. Anybody own/owned a car that would fit the bill? I've owned Mustangs in the past but I think I'm over the muscle car thing.
you-serious-clark-cousin-eddie.gif

I've had one of these for three years. If you know what your looking for and what to ask when buying one, they are pretty sweet and unique rides. You will get questions about it every where you go.

2003-jaguar-xkr-convertible

Last edited:
Reactions: Gimmered
I've had one of these for three years. If you know what your looking for and what ask when buying one, they are pretty sweet and unique rides. You will get questions about it every where you go.

I've always loved the Jaguar styling. It's classic. They're beautiful cars. The reliability has been atrocious over the years though.

Reactions: stillh8unlv
I have never considered myself a corvette guy, but, as time goes on its pretty hard to deny the performance you get for your dollar. A c5 is way more car than the vast majority of people would ever want and with few slight mods you could make that thing a poor man's supercar. Don't know your price point but if you are talking miatas you could look at an older m3 and with a few bucks on suspension make that thing fun as hell.

I have never considered myself a corvette guy, but, as time goes on its pretty hard to deny the performance you get for your dollar. A c5 is way more car than the vast majority of people would ever want and with few slight mods you could make that thing a poor man's supercar. Don't know your price point but if you are talking miatas you could look at an older m3 and with a few bucks on suspension make that thing fun as hell.
It's not a money thing. I just like roadsters. MX5's, BMW z4's, Porsche Boxters, etc..

I've had one of these for three years. If you know what your looking for and what ask when buying one, they are pretty sweet and unique rides. You will get questions about it every where you go.

Jaguar has knocked it out of the park a bunch of times. The XK8 is beautiful, but the repair bills scare me.

Yeah, the Vette is your best bang for your buck hands down. I think the standard trim busts 60 in like 2.5 seconds or something. That’s nuts.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Yeah, the Vette is your best bang for your buck hands down. I think the standard trim busts 60 in like 2.5 seconds or something. That’s nuts.
It’s just such a practical sports car. Any mechanic can repair an LS engine, and it won’t kill you on cost.

You can buy a 200- Porsche 911 Turbo for cheap, but if something goes wrong mechanically, the car is totaled.

I vote Morgan Trike.

The new mid-engine Vettes are nice and way better from a handling perspective, but I'm not taking anything to the track so I don't need to a sub 4 second 0-60. An M3 is something I'm thinking about. I need to drive one and see what it's like.

Didn’t one of the big 3 buy them out a while back?
Ford bought them in 1990 (along with Land Rover, Aston Martin and Volvo later on). They got much better quality wise. The sweet spot for quality of the XK model is between 2003 and 2009. 2007 revamped styling looks a bit more like an Aston Martin.

PXL_20211006_011451041-tiny-2048x0-0.5x0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mnole03 and goldmom
The new mid-engine Vettes are nice and way better from a handling perspective, but I'm not taking anything to the track so I don't need to a sub 4 second 0-60. An M3 is something I'm thinking about. I need to drive one and see what it's like.
The M3 is sub 4 seconds…….

Questions like “where’s the gay bar?”

lol, I kid, but what is it? It looks like something from the early 2000’s tbh.
That's a 2003 XKR.

The R is the supercharged variant XK of the 4.2 litre V8 (all models have the 4.2 V8 standard), pulled about 390 horse in the 2003 to 2006 and 420 horse 2007 to 2009.

They upped it to a 500 horse 5 litre in 2010, but the first few years of those had engine issues - water pump and plastic timing chain tensioners that failed. Which is crazy because they had the same stupid issue from 1997-2002 with the original 4.0 litre, but went to metal tensioners in 4.2.

Cars are awesome sleepers, they can run with pretty much anything from their era.

That’s right. Kinda tarnished the brand imo.
Jaguar tarnished the Jaguar brand in the 70s and 80s.

Heard it said 10 years ago or so and it's definitely true....Jaguar is paying for their 70s and 80s mediocrity while making good cars today while Mercedes is living off their reputation from the 70s and 80s while making mediocre cars.

Jaguar tarnished the Jaguar brand in the 70s and 80s.

Heard it said 10 years ago or so and it's definitely true....Jaguar is paying for their 70s and 80s mediocrity while making good cars today while Mercedes is living off their reputation from the 70s and 80s while making mediocre cars.
That’s interesting. Def agree on Mercedes. Their reliability is shit.

Reactions: goldmom
My hubby was 6’2” and got a Boxster when they first came out. He looked like he was driving a toy car but he loved it.

I love the new Corvettes. And I’ve actually seen several men who aren’t 60+ in gold chains driving them. And that’s a plus.

This is my somewhat "attainable" dream car from Jaguar. That French Racing Blue combined with 550 hp - suhweet

36NMd7kZ-0aaFIaNIQb.jpg

My fun all weather vehicle is an old 1988 Samuri, great for running the old Penna oil lease roads, hunting ,fishing and taking it up into the Allegheny mountains. Paid a $1,000 for it back in 2004 and it was worth the fun i've had with it, but it will never break any speed records.

Whatever car you buy, make sure you buy White.

Why White?

It's the best car color for 3 reasons:

1.) It's more visible and safer because other drivers can see it.

2.) It's reflects the hot summer sun.

3.) It doesn't fade as much.

@Moral

Reactions: Moral
An M3 is something I'm thinking about. I need to drive one and see what it's like.

I've owned a couple BMW's for over a decade each, and recently got rid of one because the same goddam (pretty serious) failure occurred for the 3rd time during the deep freeze we got after the monster snowstorm week. Each failure occurred when it was very very cold (not anti-freeze related)...

Honestly - I'll never own another one again. And I say this having LOVED both my BMW's. I meticulously maintained both of them, but the damn things just keep breaking down.

I simply could never truly trust them any more. They're all just too much engine plastic, they are notorious for leaking fluids, the electrical gremlins are maddening and numerous...

They WILL break your heart. If reliability is a must in whatever you buy, don't buy a BMW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT