ADVERTISEMENT

Fun car question...

I've owned a couple BMW's for over a decade each, and recently got rid of one because the same goddam (pretty serious) failure occurred for the 3rd time during the deep freeze we got after the monster snowstorm week. Each failure occurred when it was very very cold (not anti-freeze related)...

Honestly - I'll never own another one again. And I say this having LOVED both my BMW's. I meticulously maintained both of them, but the damn things just keep breaking down.

I simply could never truly trust them any more. They're all just too much engine plastic, they are notorious for leaking fluids, the electrical gremlins are maddening and numerous...

They WILL break your heart. If reliability is a must in whatever you buy, don't buy a BMW.
Germans love their plastic.

There's some old joke about how Japanese engineers look at a problem in a Japanese car and won't sleep until they fix it, Italian and British engineers will tell you that problem is just part of the charm of their car, German engineers just look at the car and go "what problem?"

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I'm going to be in the market for a fun car this spring. Preferably a convertible that's fun to drive on a narrow windy road but also comfortable enough for long cruises. I was thinking about a Miata but I'm too tall at 6'2" to stretch out like I'd like. I got into a Boxter and fit fine but I wasn't sure how it'd feel on a long trip. Anybody own/owned a car that would fit the bill? I've owned Mustangs in the past but I think I'm over the muscle car thing.
You can get a 4 or 6 cylinder Mustang…

Reactions: jonesy5960
My dad has purchased a couple of different fun cars that I have driven to Arizona in the winter from Iowa. The first one he tried out was a 2008 Saturn Sky. It was a fun car but was not very comfortable driving it across country.

Next one he tried out several years later is a 2018 Infiniti G37 which is a hard top convertible. This was a much more comfortable ride, biggest negative is losing trunk space while the top is down. I really enjoy driving this car versus the Saturn Sky. I think the G37 is a great sports car for the price.

Too bad you don’t fit in the Miata. Best bang for your buck. Period. As long as you get a MT.

The new body style doesn’t look feminine like the older models do. IMO.

Toyota's are great super reliable cars. My wife owned a blue Corolla many years ago. I don't think I'd describe a Corolla as a fun car to drive.
If the price point doesn't scare you you can get that Toyota reliability in this Lexus LC 500. Awesome car.

80ef2b5857c143fd8bd907ea8d2ece71.jpg

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
You can get a 4 or 6 cylinder Mustang…
I have owned 3 mustangs. One 4 and 2 8's. The last 8 I owned was the last 4 barrel 5 liter V8 that Ford produced before moving to fuel injection. I loved that car. It screamed and hugged the road like it had stick 'em on the tires. It was also really rough on bumpy roads. I think I'm looking for something a little more refined these days.

I have owned 3 mustangs. One 4 and 2 8's. The last 8 I owned was the last 4 barrel 5 liter V8 that Ford produced before moving to fuel injection. I loved that car. It screamed and hugged the road like it had stick 'em on the tires. It was also really rough on bumpy roads. I think I'm looking for something a little more refined these days.
I have a 6 cyl convertible that may get taken out this weekend…

Reactions: jonesy5960
If the price point doesn't scare you you can get that Toyota reliability in this Lexus LC 500. Awesome car.

80ef2b5857c143fd8bd907ea8d2ece71.jpg
This was my dream car back in the 90's.

Edit: I can't buy a Lexus with that fugly grill. It'd have to be an old one.

Last edited:
This was my dream car back in the 90's.

Edit: I can't buy a Lexus with that fugly grill. It'd have to be an old one.
You must be thinking of the SC400 or SC430, this car came out in like 2017- 2018.

The Lexus grill has grown on me...at least in this application

2022_lexus_lc-500-convertible_convertible_base_fq_oem_1_1600.jpg

Whatever car you buy, make sure you buy White.

Why White?

It's the best car color for 3 reasons:

1.) It's more visible and safer because other drivers can see it.

2.) It's reflects the hot summer sun.

3.) It doesn't fade as much.

@Moral
In this thread, Brian explains why he’s a white supremacist.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
I'll never understand people who have zero interest in off roading buying vehicles that were designed specifically to go off roading. 🤔
These are California cars. Just like the Springer Porsches that people are too afraid to really drive.

Too bad you don’t fit in the Miata. Best bang for your buck. Period. As long as you get a MT.

The new body style doesn’t look feminine like the older models do. IMO.
The new ones are absolutely beautiful. I love everything about them. Except the way I fit.

Reactions: Gus is dead
The new ones are absolutely beautiful. I love everything about them. Except the way I fit.
All this talk of buying a fun car last week gave me the itch. Doing a fly and drive to pick up a 2007 XKR Wednesday and drivin' it back to Iowa.

Scratch that itch if ya got it, only live once
00V0V_9wELPBWX0sP_09G07g_600x450.jpg

Ol' Doodle knows two people who own a Mini Cooper S. One with traditional manual and one with the automatic that can also be "shifted" manually. Both seem to really enjoy them. Trunk space isn't much...but damn fun to drive and neither have had any major problems.
2016-Mini-Cooper-S-Convertible-Manual-101.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT