ADVERTISEMENT

Fusion breakthrough announced

seminole97

HR Legend
Jun 14, 2005
The FT reports, according to three people with knowledge of preliminary results from a recent experiment, US government scientists have made a breakthrough in the pursuit of limitless, zero-carbon power by achieving a net energy gain in a fusion reaction for the first time.

The federal Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, which uses a process called inertial confinement fusion that involves bombarding a tiny pellet of hydrogen plasma with the world’s biggest laser, had achieved net energy gain in a fusion experiment in the past two weeks, the people said.

The fusion reaction at the US government facility produced about 2.5 megajoules of energy, which was about 120 per cent of the 2.1 megajoules of energy in the lasers, the people with knowledge of the results said, adding that the data was still being analyzed.

The US department of energy has said energy secretary Jennifer Granholm and under-secretary for nuclear security Jill Hruby will announce “a major scientific breakthrough” at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory on Tuesday.

“If this is confirmed, we are witnessing a moment of history,” said Dr Arthur Turrell, a plasma physicist whose book The Star Builders charts the effort to achieve fusion power.

“Scientists have struggled to show that fusion can release more energy than is put in since the 1950s, and the researchers at Lawrence Livermore seem to have finally and absolutely smashed this decades-old goal.”

ci-pepsi-crystal-3b0d2997c6b2c339.png
It’s important but it’s not as important as this Pepsi breakthrough

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
So they combine Pepsi molecules and it creates energy?
Well, it releases energy as the Law of Conservation of Energy says that energy can't be created, just converted. But yeah, then they all go drink a Pepsi after their nerd rage debate.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
We didn't get to the Moon without Kitty Hawk. Baby steps. Science works every day in the background. We take it for granted.

the US government facility produced about 2.5 megajoules of energy, which was about 120 per cent of the 2.1 megajoules of energy in the lasers, the people with knowledge of the results said, adding that the data was still being analyzed.
Please. How can you trust a rag that says "data was"?

Serious question. If we were to generate most of the world's increasing energy needs this way, how much heat would we be adding to the environment?

I'm willing to assume this will be much greener - at least once we get stuff built - but we are adding to the heat load of the planet. So the question is whether that would be a problem in it's own right.

If we cover the Sahara with solar panels, that doesn't add too much to the heat load (I assume), because that energy is already hitting the planet from the sun. But ALL this fusion energy would be in addition to the energy from the sun.

So . . . is that a problem?

Please. How can you trust a rag that says "data was"?

The laser that accomplished this were 1980s technology.

I hope the progressives, and for that matter everyone on this board is not seriously downplaying the significance of this event. The question is whether the technology can be harnessed in time to make a difference.

Last edited:
Serious question. If we were to generate most of the world's increasing energy needs this way, how much heat would we be adding to the environment?

I'm willing to assume this will be much greener - at least once we get stuff built - but we are adding to the heat load of the planet. So the question is whether that would be a problem in it's own right.

If we cover the Sahara with solar panels, that doesn't add too much to the heat load (I assume), because that energy is already hitting the planet from the sun. But ALL this fusion energy would be in addition to the energy from the sun.

So . . . is that a problem?

It's energy used today but in different forms, increased as needs requires. It will replace hydro energy which is going way due to global warming, and that relied on fossil fuels.

It can be distributed through the existing electricity infrastructure, beef up obviously, I'm no expert. We have to rethink our future. 150 years ago we rode horses.

If you are referring to the climate crisis, then there's almost no chance it will arrive on time.

Maybe with the combined resources of mankind we can move the needle. It sounds like there's a cake to put in the oven for the 1st time.

Edit: that's a horrible metaphor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT