ADVERTISEMENT

Future BIG expansion

My question is what will the BIG do? We all know that they and the SEC will expand but which direction will they go?? Many say it be out west and more PAC teams or East and target ACC teams. What about some Big 12 teams. I think it is in the BIG best interest to get Nebraska back to being Nebraska again. How do you do that? By getting the BIG into Texas. So who does the BIG target. According to sic em 365 TCU is a legit target. They are in the Dallas Ft. Worth market (and TV markets matter to the BIG). TCU academics are more than solid. And TCU likes to refer themselves as TCU not Texas Christian. After that Texas Tech would fit and is a smaller TV market but still is Texas. Even Houston makes sense with that massive TV market and talent pool. Aftet that why not Oklahoma St. It would very much give Nebraska a heated rival other than Iowa. Plus I think that the fine people of Iowa have no problem going into Texas And then of course Notre Dame. Now other than what I have seen and heard on Sic em 365 this is just speculation. I do feel that Notre Dame will join the BIG the money will be too much to ignore. Plus adding these schools would allow ND and the rest of the BIG to have the National schedule they so much desire This scenario would give the BIG the NYC , Philly, Chicago, LA, and Dallas Ft Worth TV markets those are all in the top 10 TV markets. So what does everyone think.
If Washington joins the Big1O ... that puts us a notch lower to the bottom with N'western.

My question is what will the BIG do? We all know that they and the SEC will expand but which direction will they go?? Many say it be out west and more PAC teams or East and target ACC teams. What about some Big 12 teams. I think it is in the BIG best interest to get Nebraska back to being Nebraska again. How do you do that? By getting the BIG into Texas.
Actually, in their hay day they seemed to get a bunch out of southern California and vegas so I think that UCLA and USC would help them. Rhule is making a mistake trying to get Texas connections in now SEC/Big 12 territory.
The expansion won't be anywhere but the west so there will be a pod of minimal travel. It's like baseball when the dodgers needed a partner to expand to the west coast. Oregon/ Washington/ Arizona. all AAU schools (AAU is still a big deal to the conference even if Nebraska doesn't meet the standard anymore)

• Haha
Reactions: SoreLoserHawkeye
I think that is from the past. The Presidents had a lot to say. Now? I don't think so.

Now it's $$$$$$$.
I don't think so. I think that still has the same importance. Big Ten Research expenditures were 11.5 Billion. generates. Football is just a drop in the bucket

Big ten distributed 43-49 million in payouts to athletic departments ( it will go up in with the new TV deal)

We all think that Football and athletics is a huge money maker for schools but it's nothing more than an advertising department. Let not forget what the football stadium has done to advertise the Children's hospital/uihc. The hospitals generated 100 million in revenue in 2020 and 200 million in 2021. I think if they wanted the Kinnick's ground. They would build a new stadium where the track and field area is off the strip or in Tiffin

I don't think so. I think that still has the same importance. Big Ten Research expenditures were 11.5 Billion. generates. Football is just a drop in the bucket

Big ten distributed 43-49 million in payouts to athletic departments ( it will go up in with the new TV deal)

We all think that Football and athletics is a huge money maker for schools but it's nothing more than an advertising department. Let not forget what the football stadium has done to advertise the Children's hospital/uihc. The hospitals generated 100 million in revenue in 2020 and 200 million in 2021. I think if they wanted the Kinnick's ground. They would build a new stadium where the track and field area is off the strip or in Tiffin
Not enough room in the track and field area. This would seem to be a good location.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6617757,-91.5766789,1091m/data=!3m1!1e3

Reactions: Bulldog64
Just when you thought the P12 story couldn't get more absurd. McMurphy tweets that ION television has emerged as a candidate.

W. T. F.

Reactions: Bulldog64
Wow. That’s as bad as LIV golf “big” announcement of being on the CW.
Weird isn't it? But they are on tv which helps liv. Just cw? So weird. I don't think anyone in power in the big would add anyone else except ND. They are always welcome to join imo despite my dislike for them.

Stop the presses. Let me say that Florida State may emerge as a BIG contender. With them getting close to AAU status and they and Clemson not happy with the ACC things could shake up on the East coast. And honestly I think the BIG would rather have some ACC schools over what's left in the PAC. Say like FSU, UNC, UVA. I think that's who the BIG will target in the ACC and the SEC will target Clemson VT, NC St, maybe Duke and perhaps Miami. This could make ND rethink about joining a conference and if they stay indy the BIG gets GT. Good name brands with great TV markets states with growing populations and recruits and those schools would add to the BIG $$$$$$$$ contracts. Plus al the schools mentioned have history with Maryland. I think it would be great Penn State VS Florida St in October or Iowa vs UNC. Pretty cool

Last edited:
Stop the presses. Let me say that Florida State may emerge as a BIG contender. With them getting close to AAU status and they and Clemson not happy with the ACC things could shake up on the East coast. And honestly I think the BIG would rather have some ACC schools over what's left in the PAC. Say like FSU, UNC, UVA. I think that's who the BIG will target in the ACC and the SEC will target Clemson VT, NC St, maybe Duke and perhaps Miami. This could make ND rethink about joining a conference and if they stay indy the BIG gets GT. Good name brands with great TV markets states with growing populations and recruits and those schools would add to the BIG $$$$$$$$ contracts. Plus al the schools mentioned have history with Maryland. I think it would be great Penn State VS Florida St in October or Iowa vs UNC. Pretty cool
I think Big Ten will take 2 more west schools to pair with USC and UCLA. Wouldn't shock me if it is Cal and Stanford though. You just locked up all of California with those 4 teams.

Will the expansion bring in enough new TV sets to increase payout per school?

When conferences get so big you only ever play 1/2 of the teams is it really a conference?

It’s getting to the point where playing in the Big Ten will mean nothing. You will never play Ohio St, Michigan, Penn State again.

Iowa will feel like they left big ten and joined the pac 12.

I think Big Ten will take 2 more west schools to pair with USC and UCLA. Wouldn't shock me if it is Cal and Stanford though. You just locked up all of California with those 4 teams.
My opinion, which means nothing, is Oregon and Washington.

Based on recent history, none of this expansion helps the Hawks in regards to recruiting.

• Haha
Reactions: BigBroPolice
Right now, the B1G is focused on getting a new commissioner and onboarding USC/UCLA. The leadership of the conference needs stabilized as there are a few schools expected to change leaders at the end of the term. Currently, there aren’t enough votes for expansion. ND is the only school where an escalator clause was included in the tv contract. Another network/streaming partner would have to foot the bill for any new schools, enough that any potential adds aren’t dilutive

Reactions: GHawk

When conferences get so big you only ever play 1/2 of the teams is it really a conference?

It’s getting to the point where playing in the Big Ten will mean nothing. You will never play Ohio St, Michigan, Penn State again.

Back to the Future

B1G should get to 20 with Stanford, Notre Dame, Oregon and Washington. Put those schools in a division with USC, UCLA, Nebraska, Maryland, Penn State and Rutgers. The Other 10 would be the "original" Big Ten (OK, not U. of Chicago, but MSU).

Both divisions play round-robin nine-game schedules to determine a champion. Early-season crossover games (Notre Dame vs. Michigan, Nebraska vs. Iowa, Stanford vs. Northwestern, Oregon vs. Ohio State, Washington vs. Minnesota, Penn State vs. Michigan State, for example) would kick off the season in style.

Then Iowa could play ISU and UNI, and Nebraska could play Colorado and South Dakota (not SDSU; they'd beat us unless we improve).

• Haha
Reactions: BigBroPolice

We almost had the "alliance" once where we were gonna play a PAC school each season.

Actually, in their hay day they seemed to get a bunch out of southern California and vegas so I think that UCLA and USC would help them. Rhule is making a mistake trying to get Texas connections in now SEC/Big 12 territory.
The expansion won't be anywhere but the west so there will be a pod of minimal travel. It's like baseball when the dodgers needed a partner to expand to the west coast. Oregon/ Washington/ Arizona. all AAU schools (AAU is still a big deal to the conference even if Nebraska doesn't meet the standard anymore)
Not all true, Nebraska recruited nationally. In the hay days of 1990 - 99 recruiting looked like this.
65 were from Nebraska, 18 Cali, 16 Texas, 11 NJ, and 0 from Nevada. I didn't total the others but they were onsie twosies from Pa, Ohio, Iowa, Kansas, Mo, Florida, NC, Illinois, Ut, Az, etc. Looks like they need to recruit Nebraska. Some of the most high profile players for the Huskers were from NJ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT