ADVERTISEMENT

Future head coach candidate coming to Carver Friday?

Nov 6, 2012
West High Grad and former Hawkeye Justin Wieck bringing in his UMD Bulldogs....thoughts? He has some solid experience/success at a fairly high level. I love the idea of a former player/resident(same as Gatens) coaching the Hawks.

West High Grad and former Hawkeye Justin Wieck bringing in his UMD Bulldogs....thoughts? He has some solid experience/success at a fairly high level. I love the idea of a former player/resident(same as Gatens) coaching the Hawks.
No thoughts other than he would come down to the fieldhouse & play with us normal people. Was far & away the best player on any of the six courts.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I just looked at his record. Very surprised he’s still bumming around at DII level.

He seems to have had enough success to warrant an offer at a low-level DI program

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I want the next coach to be the best possible….not get the job because he is a former player.

He’d be a good candidate two hires from now. He needs to move to a mid-major first and succeed there for 3-5 years.

If Fran leaves after this year …🤞…they need to hire someone established, and long in the tooth so he doesn’t stick around for more than 10 years. Well, unless he’s winning conference championships and making final fours of course.

Without NIL money, not a lot of upside with Fran or the next guy. There is pretty interesting article about ISU TJ Otzelberger playing "moneyball" and doing more with less than most NIL rich schools, but ISU has more NIL money than Iowa. ISU is getting it done with defense first approach.

The NIL site I saw said ISU's b-ball roster last year was around $1 million. The entire Iowa swarm football/basketball budget is around $2 million, which is nothing when you look at Oregon with $24 million/yr football payroll, etc.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Without NIL money, not a lot of upside with Fran or the next guy. There is pretty interesting article about ISU TJ Otzelberger playing "moneyball" and doing more with less than most NIL rich schools, but ISU has more NIL money than Iowa. ISU is getting it done with defense first approach.

The NIL site I saw said ISU's b-ball roster last year was around $1 million. The entire Iowa swarm football/basketball budget is around $2 million, which is nothing when you look at Oregon with $24 million/yr football payroll, etc.
Iowa's playing at the $5 blackjack table, Oregon (and others) are playing at the No Limits tables.

If 10,000 of our fans got off their arses and joined it would not be an issue. Many excuses, not many fans who care enough

Reactions: Fran-Con-2
If 10,000 of our fans got off their arses and joined it would not be an issue. Many excuses, not many fans who care enough

Give us coaches who have proven they will use it on good players and I might me more inclined. As for now, give it keep the guys on our team from leaving.

To be honest, I'd trust Fran with my money more than Kirk.

I'd assume the top target for the Iowa job is going to be Darian Devries and everyone else is a distant second.

As long as Iowa hires a coach that excites the fan base, NIL will increase substantially. The issue is the fans have lost faith in Fran and don't want to invest in a situation that isn't going anywhere. You gotta generate excitement to raise money - it really is that simple.

If there were 10,000 fans that could afford to give $1000 a year, that equates to $10M annually. Yeah, need to get more people to care. That would be a huge boost.

Still, is there a rule that says the NIL can't start doing more fundraisers, etc. rather than just sitting around holding out the collection plate? What else are they doing to raise money besides just asking people to donate? (Genuine question, I don't know the answer)

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
As long as Iowa hires a coach that excites the fan base, NIL will increase substantially. The issue is the fans have lost faith in Fran and don't want to invest in a situation that isn't going anywhere. You gotta generate excitement to raise money - it really is that simple.
It's Marge's fault. boosters cannot stand her.

That window is probably closed unless he does poorly at wvu.

It's really disappointing not to have seized the opportunity when it was right there.

I don't believe for a second WVU would be able to keep him if Iowa offered. Obviously, his buyout is an issue. But hiring a high-demand coach is going to come at a significant investment. Assuming Fran retires after this season, maybe it would be too much. But after the following year I'd think the boosters would step up to make it happen.

Get THE best candidate … have zero cares if has one single tie to Iowa. This will be a big hire for BG when she finally decides to move on from Groundhog Day …

Get THE best candidate … have zero cares if has one single tie to Iowa. This will be a big hire for BG when she finally decides to move on from Groundhog Day …

I'm not pretending to have any advanced knowledge in this arena, but I've searched for candidates with a better resume than Devries, and it's not easy to find one. And I don't know what 'the best' candidate means in general terms, but what Devries did at Drake is extremely impressive. Especially when you consider just how lousy Drake has been for decades. (except for the one random season with Keno Davis) Plus, he recruited across the country and he appears to be really good at identifying talent.

Maybe Iowa can go after an established power conference coach - but that's going to cost a fortune. Clearly it would have been cheaper to get Devries prior to going to WVU - but I'd like to think we'd be able to get him with a hometown discount.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT