ADVERTISEMENT

Fvck Delta Airlines

It was funny watching delta people fly on spirit this weekend and be incredibly thankful one airline got them where they needed to go.

All airlines are the same, some just have larger credit card program perks.

It really is surprising that with all the powerful computers, programs, AI, and analytics how hard it is for airlines to get back on track when planes and crews get out of position.

It really is surprising that with all the powerful computers, programs, AI, and analytics how hard it is for airlines to get back on track when planes and crews get out of position.
Airlines run on razor thin margins and been slow to adopt the digital transformation.

Even then, it’s a tangled web of planes and labor, spread all over the world. Consolidation in this industry has been its savior and undoing.

Reactions: funksouljon
Hilarious that Southwest almost had the doors closed on them 2 years ago and this delta stuff is barely making any noise. Must be nice to have money to make things go away.

It was funny watching delta people fly on spirit this weekend and be incredibly thankful one airline got them where they needed to go.

All airlines are the same, some just have larger credit card program perks.
All airlines aren't the same. Delta's mistake was using Crowdstrike, which is (now probably 'was') the largest cybersecurity firm in the world. It's likely Spirit is fine because they don't take cybersecurity as seriously as the other airlines. I'm fairly certain Spirit now becomes a bigger target for hackers. It's doubtful that Crowdstrike ever fully recovers from this.

Reactions: beanerhawk
All airlines aren't the same. Delta's mistake was using Crowdstrike, which is (now probably 'was') the largest cybersecurity firm in the world. It's likely Spirit is fine because they don't take cybersecurity as seriously as the other airlines. I'm fairly certain Spirit now becomes a bigger target for hackers. It's doubtful that Crowdstrike ever fully recovers from this.

If Allegiant can get there shit together, so should Delta. Allegiant (also using Crowdstrike) had my digital boarding passes delivered within 24 hours of the incident. The airport last Saturday was a shit show. First time I was ever told I couldn't check my bags for another 45 mins.

Crowdstrike CEO is a bluster packed fool and they messed up big. They’ve blown up the last 4 years, but calling them the biggest cyber security company in the world is off base. Palo Alto is a bigger firm, twice CS size, but their portfolio sale has not resonated as well for a number of reasons, so companies use crowdstrike in tandem with PAN firewalls and other PAN products.

Then you have companies like MSFT that have similar products, which are actually more widely used because lower level clients want single threaded approaches for ease of management. Crowdstrike is a company that could collapse over this. The fallout from a business impact sense is unprecedented in the modern IT industry.

That’s a bullshit lie. We use crowdstrike and have the same IT as other peer airlines. The key difference is investment in scheduling and crew software here. Delta has crews lost all around their network, still. Every airline was affected on Friday and all returned to normalcy by mid weekend. They’ll learn just like all of us have, you can’t run as lean as possible just to show massive profits. You’ll get burned.

No airline is immune from massive meltdowns. Every airline has had one/multiple. Every time they say the same BS “we need to invest in a better system” but never do.

If Allegiant can get there shit together, so should Delta. Allegiant (also using Crowdstrike) had my digital boarding passes delivered within 24 hours of the incident. The airport last Saturday was a shit show. First time I was ever told I couldn't check my bags for another 45 mins.
How many flights does Allegiant fly? How many days do they fly? What version of Microsoft are they running on their servers? What version of Windows is running on their desktop machines? Is Crowdstrike software running on all their servers? Is all the software - reservations, scheduling, flight operations, back office, etc., etc., running on servers with Crowdstrike installed? Is the Crowdstrike software limited to the servers, or has it been pushed down to all the desktop machines as well?

Crowdstrike CEO is a bluster packed fool and they messed up big. They’ve blown up the last 4 years, but calling them the biggest cyber security company in the world is off base. Palo Alto is a bigger firm, twice CS size, but their portfolio sale has not resonated as well for a number of reasons, so companies use crowdstrike in tandem with PAN firewalls and other PAN products.

Then you have companies like MSFT that have similar products, which are actually more widely used because lower level clients want single threaded approaches for ease of management. Crowdstrike is a company that could collapse over this. The fallout from a business impact sense is unprecedented in the modern IT industry.
I generally like you, but you really need to back up a step. Largest is based on how it's measured.

The fact that most companies have multiple layers of security, for different purposes, doesn't have much relevance to my post.

Otherwise I agree with your response.

BTW, Crowdstrike was involved in Hillary Clinton's private server.

Reactions: goldmom
To put it simpler, crowdstrike caused issues for all the airlines Friday. Deltas antiquated crew scheduling/planning system basically melted down because of it and they can’t figure it out. THAT IS THEIR PROBLEM. Other airlines invested in this to prevent such a thing, sure delta will now.

Really the way it’s headed they need to do a 2 day hard reset, surprised Pete hasn’t told them to do so yet. Cancel everything for 2 days and start over.

I generally like you, but you really need to back up a step. Largest is based on how it's measured.

The fact that most companies have multiple layers of security, for different purposes, doesn't have much relevance to my post.

Otherwise I agree with your response.

BTW, Crowdstrike was involved in Hillary Clinton's private server.
I wasn’t comin at you, just adding to your dialogue. I see CS saying shit like that in the media all the time. They're a tier 1 security partner, but a lot of times, companies get to that status a number of ways. Turns out in tech, there is no silver bullet. Hilarious they were in on the email server.

I doubt CRWD collapses but it doesn't look good. I think it helps that is wasn't an actual cyber security attack but something in an update. Stock price has only fallen to it's January 2024 level so far and still up 116% in the last year.

I doubt CRWD collapses but it doesn't look good. I think it helps that is wasn't an actual cyber security attack but something in an update. Stock price has only fallen to it's January 2024 level so far and still up 116% in the last year.
Incompetence < bad actors

They’ve been on fire. They have solid products. I doubt this kills the brand, unless it just collapses under the weight of the coming litigation.

Reactions: cheeselog8
How many flights does Allegiant fly? How many days do they fly? What version of Microsoft are they running on their servers? What version of Windows is running on their desktop machines? Is Crowdstrike software running on all their servers? Is all the software - reservations, scheduling, flight operations, back office, etc., etc., running on servers with Crowdstrike installed? Is the Crowdstrike software limited to the servers, or has it been pushed down to all the desktop machines as well?

Ask those same questions of Delta. It's been 5 days, they have a larger IT staff. I'm starting to ask why Delta is having issues when other organizations (including other airlines) are back online in a fraction of the time. That's coming from someone who chooses Delta when it's an option

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT