ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Arnold at Elite 8 Duals

Reymundo

HR All-State
Oct 22, 2002
6-0 entering the first place match later today where he will be favored. 3-0 at 182, 3-0 at 195. Beat #4 A J Heeg and UNI recruit C J Walrath at 182. I was a bit skeptical that Gabe was big enough to compete at 182 but he’s winning me over. Hard to score on and quicker than his opponents. Has no problem standing up and getting away from bottom position. Powerful lower body.

6-0 entering the first place match later today where he will be favored. 3-0 at 182, 3-0 at 195. Beat #4 A J Heeg and UNI recruit C J Walrath at 182. I was a bit skeptical that Gabe was big enough to compete at 182 but he’s winning me over. Hard to score on and quicker than his opponents. Has no problem standing up and getting away from bottom position. Powerful lower body.
Expect to see him at 184 for 4 years

he's almost impossible to score on, but still want to see him open up. when he goes, it's textbook clean scores, but doesn't open up much against top competition.

the positive side of that is he'll have a lot of experience closing tight matches.

182 Results​

Gabe Arnold of Minion Legends went 7-0​

• 195 - Gabe Arnold (Minion Legends) over Cole Carter (Black Mambas) Maj 20-7
  • 195 - Gabe Arnold (Minion Legends) over Payton Thomas (Team Oklahoma) Fall 1:22
  • 195 - Gabe Arnold (Minion Legends) over Kingsley Menifee (Spartan RTC Elite/BOTE) Maj 18-5
  • 195 - Gabe Arnold (Minion Legends) over Kingsley Menifee (Spartan RTC Elite/BOTE) Dec 3-2
  • 182 - Gabe Arnold (Minion Legends) over CJ Walrath (POWA) Dec 3-1
  • 182 - Gabe Arnold (Minion Legends) over AJ Heeg (Dynasty) Dec 3-2
  • 182 - Gabe Arnold (Minion Legends) over Orlando Cruz (Indiana Outlaws) Dec 3-2

His body type seems to indicate it would be tough making 174 in college, just naturally too big in the thigh and hip areas. Going to have to be a Phil Keddy type 184 pounder. Gas tank and his ability to get in deep and finish on guys will dictate his college scoring abilities. He won't be much of a scoring threat on the mat so take downs and release and gas tank to execute will be the ticket. Steveson has a similar build vs the competition on a larger scale. I'm not saying he will be Steveson but if he gets some proficiency at getting in and finishing on guys he could develop some bonus ability. If not then there will be a lot of close low scoring matches. Being pretty much unrideable will help his style a lot.

Reactions: el dub and Reymundo
I saw one of his matches posted on Twitter and Gabe was dwarfed by his opponent; that said, it must have been one of the 195lb matches because it ended by fall. I always assumed he was wrestling up in weight during high school and would thereby fit in at 174. Either way just hope he’s successful on and off the mat.

I recall him missing weight for an event (early in the year possibly) at 175 lbs. Can’t imagine that weight cut will get easier as he grows into his man body. 184 is likely where we’ll see him for his Hawkeye career. We seem to have a couple guys that fit the bill at 165, giving somebody an opportunity to put on some size and compete at 174.

I recall him missing weight for an event (early in the year possibly) at 175 lbs. Can’t imagine that weight cut will get easier as he grows into his man body. 184 is likely where we’ll see him for his Hawkeye career. We seem to have a couple guys that fit the bill at 165, giving somebody an opportunity to put on some size and compete at 174.
Wonder if 174 isn't where Riggins is headed. He looks tall with the right frame to fill out the weight. Gabe reminds me of his uncle with his scrambling and defense. That's a good thing.

Wonder if 174 isn't where Riggins is headed. He looks tall with the right frame to fill out the weight. Gabe reminds me of his uncle with his scrambling and defense. That's a good thing.
Who is Gabe’s uncle?

Really, is a casual fan supposed to know this?

I'm sure more than a few casual fans appreciate your explanation, and will gladly thank you for not demeaning them in the process of answering. 😉 😃
Certainly not demeaning, it’s a line from a movie. If you’ve not seen it, it’s “real nice”. Btw Dub isnt a “casual fan” and is rarely serious on this board.

ooooooh, Cox & Arnold Oil wrestling. "When Cox alone won't do". . . . .
giphy.gif

There was a picture on Flo of Gabe this weekend. As usual, he was SOAKING WET. It's a familial thing. I was just as bad, if not worse back in the day. Literally, you put those two together in a wrestling room, two hours later..... it's a swimming pool. . . .
Don't say that these maniacs (posters) have been looking for a 157 🤣😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT