ADVERTISEMENT

Gamestop

When the money printing firehose gets focused like a laser on one item it is easier to spot the effects of inflating the money supply.
How much more fuel will the Fed and Capitol dump on this fire in 2021?

I was just reading the average cost basis in Gme is now over $300. Lots of people are going to get burnt bad on this.
I used 20% of my gains from GME to buy back in at $320. To me, GME is now a hedge on the entire rest of the market. You could see it in real time last week, when GME was up, everything was red, when it was down everything was green. If this moons to $1000 I’m getting the gains and will reinvest in the low prices. Im out when the short interest is under 100%. It’s condescending to think people don’t know the risks, people are willing to risk $$ for the possible rewards. Most people know to only risk they can afford to lose.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Who do you look to for reporting on that? How near is it to real time?
That’s the question I’ve been asking myself. S3 Partners provides a short interest report, they are a subscription service but some fellow redditors share the info. I’ve also heard their reports about a week old so who knows.

Question, if a guy wanted to throw a few more bucks at GME, would it be better to place a standing buy request at market pricing over the weekend or watch early AM if it tracks down and buy the dip?

What does everyone think it is going to do first thing in the morning?

The longer these HF hold their 100%+ short positions the longer they bleed in interest payments. Are those due daily or weekly? Does this suggest their buying activity and thus pushing up the market price?

Not asking for investment advice just fun to walk through the scenarios.

I used 20% of my gains from GME to buy back in at $320. To me, GME is now a hedge on the entire rest of the market. You could see it in real time last week, when GME was up, everything was red, when it was down everything was green. If this moons to $1000 I’m getting the gains and will reinvest in the low prices. Im out when the short interest is under 100%. It’s condescending to think people don’t know the risks, people are willing to risk $$ for the possible rewards. Most people know to only risk they can afford to lose.

tenor.gif

I’m also in way below 300 but most of the money is fomo money that’s going to get killed.

That’s the question I’ve been asking myself. S3 Partners provides a short interest report, they are a subscription service but some fellow redditors share the info. I’ve also heard their reports about a week old so who knows.

They are 2 weeks old. It’s impossible to have real time data unless you are a clearing house.

Question, if a guy wanted to throw a few more bucks at GME, would it be better to place a standing buy request at market pricing over the weekend or watch early AM if it tracks down and buy the dip?

What does everyone think it is going to do first thing in the morning?

The longer these HF hold their 100%+ short positions the longer they bleed in interest payments. Are those due daily or weekly? Does this suggest their buying activity and thus pushing up the market price?

Not asking for investment advice just fun to walk through the scenarios.

I would NOT recommend any sort of market buy order, given the crazy volitility. You could get caught if there is a crazy spike premarket or right after opening. If you want to buy, set a price you're comfortable with.

I would NOT recommend any sort of market buy order, given the crazy volitility. You could get caught if there is a crazy spike premarket or right after opening. If you want to buy, set a price you're comfortable with.

Very much agree. There are people with standing orders to sell at prices over $500 that are getting filled. You don’t want to get stuck there.

You say that as if you know that it is impossible to get real time numbers.

How do you know that?

Probably not impossible, but I think the real time numbers are even too late to know what's going down. The people that are planning to close short positions have the upper hand IMO.

Depends on the average share per person doesn't it? Millions of people buying a couple shared to make a point at 300 a share aren't going to lose their house.

Of course I didn’t mean to imply that, but if you read wsb there are lots of people that claim that they have everything in from their ira and stuff at crazy prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkedoff
Of course I didn’t mean to imply that, but if you read wsb they are lots of people that claim that they have everything in from their ira and stuff at crazy prices.

There is an undeniable mania component and people will be swept up and some will drown.

I was just reading the average cost basis in Gme is now over $300. Lots of people are going to get burnt bad on this.

Maybe that average doesn't include Ryan Cohen (unless he sold to lol). Cohen bought 9 million shares at $8 back in September and another big chunk at $16 earlier this month apparently. That's a good chunk of the 69 million outstanding. Insiders, large holders selling and new share issuance are the biggest threats here for longs. I bet hedge funds are trying to get all the big holders to sell behind the scenes.

HolderCommon Shares Held (Millions)% Of CSOGain ($ Billions)Position Date Update
FMR (Fidelity Investments)9.513.7%$3.0Sep-30-2020
Ryan Cohen9.012.92.9Jan-10-2021
BlackRock8.612.32.7Sep-30-2020
Vanguard Group5.37.61.7Sep-30-2020
Susquehanna International Group4.46.31.4Sep-30-2020
Dimensional Fund Advisors3.95.71.3Sep-30-2020
Senvest Management3.65.21.2Oct-07-2020
Donald A. Foss3.55.01.1Feb-28-2020
MUST Asset Management3.34.71.1Mar-18-2020

Reactions: Bonerfarts
Theoretical question because this only has worsened my understanding of the stock market. Let's pretend GME stock gets to the point where it trades at 1000 and I want to get out before the crash. We know that the stock is not worth that much from a value standpoint. I decide want to cash out my stock I bought at 100, for 900/share of profit. Don't I actually have at to find a buy at that price? Who is buying these stocks at the top of the infinite squeeze?

I know they have to pay interest on shorted stocks to cover a percentage of their shorts which gets more expensive as prices rise. Also if you bankrupt all the hedge funds that have the shorts, then I presume they can't buy back the shares they need to cover. Doesn't that mean the guys holding all the stocks can't get paid on the sell or are the brokerages using the short interest collected to buy at those high prices?

Put a more simple way:
1. Who is going to buy my expensive shares when the market is at the peak?
2. Who gets the money from the interest on shorts? Are brokerages on the hook monetarily, for selling shorts they don't have since 140% of this stock is shorted?
3. If a hedge fund goes bankrupt and can't cover shorts, what happens to those who hold the real shares?

Last edited:
Put a more simple way:
1. Who is going to buy my expensive shares when the market is at the peak?
2. Who gets the money from the interest on shorts? Are brokerages on the hook monetarily, for selling shorts they don't have since 140% of this stock is shorted?
3. If a hedge fund goes bankrupt and can't cover shorts, what happens to those who hold the real shares?

#3 is a very interesting question. It's possible a hedge fund could go bankrupt owing the brokerage money. That might bankrupt an outfit like Robinhood. I think investors are covered under SPIC if the brokerage goes bankrupt. That would not be good. #1 future bagholders mostly small retail traders and possibly hedge funds covering. #2 Brokerages get interest income on shorts (if that's what you mean) and brokerages are on the hook. I guess brokerages will margin call the hedge funds probably on an individual basis, based on the HF financial position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Urohawk
FMR, BlackRock, and Vanguard are mostly holders through their index and sector ETFs that aren't actively managed. Together they comprise almost 35% of the float.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT