ADVERTISEMENT

Garlic Harvest

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
9hSsNly.jpeg

Happy day! I harvested my garlic and I couldn't be happier with them! The variety is "Lorz Italian" ... a softneck artichoke variety. Grows well in the south, and the taste is pretty hot for a softneck.

I bought the seed bulbs from Keene Garlic.

Last year, I planted a different variety and they suffered from the dreaded witches broom disorder. The garlic was still edible but instead of smooth bulbs surrounded by paper skins, the cloves separated and the bulbs looked like George Washington's wooden teeth! 😲

Not this year! These bulbs are beautiful. Some are on the small side, but that's heavily dependent on how big the clove was to begin with.

Does anyone else on HROT grow garlic?

(BTW, that bulb in the upper right corner is an onion, not garlic. Most of my onions aren't quite ready to harvest yet, but that one bolted so we'll eat that one right away.)

There is a native Florida Meadow Garlic

Meadow garlic info page at FNPS

Buy it here

Reactions: The Tradition
You would think there would be more gardeners on an Iowa board....
If my neighborhood feral cat, Junkyard, would start taking down the bunny population as good as he does snakes and birds I’d think about having a garden. Maybe I’ll build a couple planter boxes over the summer for next spring.

If my neighborhood feral cat, Junkyard, would start taking down the bunny population as good as he does snakes and birds I’d think about having a garden. Maybe I’ll build a couple planter boxes over the summer for next spring.

I doubt rabbits would bother garlic.

9hSsNly.jpeg

Happy day! I harvested my garlic and I couldn't be happier with them! The variety is "Lorz Italian" ... a softneck artichoke variety. Grows well in the south, and the taste is pretty hot for a softneck.

Last year, I planted a different variety and they suffered from the dreaded witches broom disorder. The garlic was still edible but instead of smooth bulbs surrounded by paper skins, the cloves separated and the bulbs looked like George Washington's wooden teeth! 😲

Not this year! These bulbs are beautiful. Some are on the small side, but that's heavily dependent on how big the clove was to begin with.

(BTW, that bulb in the upper right corner is an onion, not garlic. Most of my onions aren't quite ready to harvest yet, but that one bolted so we'll eat that one right away.)
Good job with the garlic... you marxist queer!

9hSsNly.jpeg

I have 2 rows that should be ready soon. They’re just standard soft neck

I don't currently have garlic, but I've had garlic in the past.

My experience is once you get it planted and it gets established, you can't hardly get rid of it. It's not something you plant every year and harvest. It's something you plant, get a patch going and forget about until it gets out of control. You'll never use as much as even a small established patch will produce.

• Wow
Reactions: millah_22
I don't currently have garlic, but I've had garlic in the past.

My experience is once you get it planted and it gets established, you can't hardly get rid of it. It's not something you plant every year and harvest. It's something you plant, get a patch going and forget about until it gets out of control. You'll never use as much as even a small established patch will produce.

Society garlic is like that, but if you're trying to grow culinary-grade garlic, that's not how it works.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
It's garlic.

Much like many other types of plants, there are hundreds of varieties of garlic.

But more to your point, there are 11 different horticultural groups of garlic. Three of them are classified under softneck: Silverskin, Artichoke, and Middle Eastern. Hardneck varieties of garlic are divided into eight groups: Porcelain, Rocambole, Purple Stripe, Glazed Purple Stripe, Marble Purple Stripe, Asiatic, Turban, and Creole. Under the umbrella of each garlic group, you’ll discover a list of cultivars.

And that's not even getting into all the species of wild garlic, garlic imposters, and ornamental garlic varieties.

So, whatever clumping type of garlic you're talking about isn't what they sell at the market.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
How does the taste differ?

Seriously? There are hot garlics, there are mild garlics, there are lemony garlics, and there are dirt-flavored garlics.

Some are better for different culinary applications than others. For example, you may not want a really spicy garlic raw in something like a chimichurri sauce, but if you heat such a variety it mellows out and becomes wonderful in a pan sauce.

9hSsNly.jpeg

My daughter does but she's not on hort.

Do seed garlic varieties posess varing degrees hottnes or spiciness or is this particular to so called culinary varieties?

Much like many other types of plants, there are hundreds of varieties of garlic.

But more to your point, there are 11 different horticultural groups of garlic. Three of them are classified under softneck: Silverskin, Artichoke, and Middle Eastern. Hardneck varieties of garlic are divided into eight groups: Porcelain, Rocambole, Purple Stripe, Glazed Purple Stripe, Marble Purple Stripe, Asiatic, Turban, and Creole. Under the umbrella of each garlic group, you’ll discover a list of cultivars.

And that's not even getting into all the species of wild garlic, garlic imposters, and ornamental garlic varieties.

So, whatever clumping type of garlic you're talking about isn't what they sell at the market.
Thanks, Horticultural Lute.

I have tried garlic in past but never had success.
Tried again last fall and have about 16 sprouts that look promising.
Guess I will find out in August.

Love garlic and love growing it. We currently have about 20 plants growing, all hardneck variety, that produce really big bulbs. Our peas just started sprouting and we’ve got some radishes, spinach and arugula going strong also.

Reactions: The Tradition
I have tried garlic in past but never had success.
Tried again last fall and have about 16 sprouts that look promising.
Guess I will find out in August.

The hard part is all the conflicting advice. Some say fertilize heavily, some say don't. Some say water frequently, some say water sparingly. Most say keep your plot weed-free. I gave up on that this year and my garlic did just fine.

Ultimately, if you start with a nice fertile bed to begin with and they get a good start, I think your chances of success are pretty high. Other environmental issues beyond your control might help or hurt any particular year's crop.

I guess that's one of the fun things about gardening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT