ADVERTISEMENT

Garlic Harvest

Much like many other types of plants, there are hundreds of varieties of garlic.

But more to your point, there are 11 different horticultural groups of garlic. Three of them are classified under softneck: Silverskin, Artichoke, and Middle Eastern. Hardneck varieties of garlic are divided into eight groups: Porcelain, Rocambole, Purple Stripe, Glazed Purple Stripe, Marble Purple Stripe, Asiatic, Turban, and Creole. Under the umbrella of each garlic group, you’ll discover a list of cultivars.

And that's not even getting into all the species of wild garlic, garlic imposters, and ornamental garlic varieties.

So, whatever clumping type of garlic you're talking about isn't what they sell at the market.

I just buy it at HyVee,.. says garlic right on the package.

Pulled up half the radish planted April 21. Going to pull the rest up after th weekend. Plant new radish next weekend

F2N7mSe.jpeg

f4UXqOd.jpeg
Real nice! Are those lady slippers?

9hSsNly.jpeg

Happy day! I harvested my garlic and I couldn't be happier with them! The variety is "Lorz Italian" ... a softneck artichoke variety. Grows well in the south, and the taste is pretty hot for a softneck.

I bought the seed bulbs from Keene Garlic.

Last year, I planted a different variety and they suffered from the dreaded witches broom disorder. The garlic was still edible but instead of smooth bulbs surrounded by paper skins, the cloves separated and the bulbs looked like George Washington's wooden teeth! 😲

Not this year! These bulbs are beautiful. Some are on the small side, but that's heavily dependent on how big the clove was to begin with.

Does anyone else on HROT grow garlic?

(BTW, that bulb in the upper right corner is an onion, not garlic. Most of my onions aren't quite ready to harvest yet, but that one bolted so we'll eat that one right away.)
I get growing your own tomatoes but garlic and/or onions? I can get huge bags of perfect specimens Sam's/Costco for very cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT