ADVERTISEMENT

Garza done in Detroit

Watching back the 15 minutes he played Monday night. Actually think he’s come a long way mentally on defense. He anticipated pretty well. Looks a little quicker with his weight loss, but still was noticeably the slowest guy out there.

Double dribbled after trying to power through a guy so his game will still need to keep up with his weight change.

To be fair to Luka, portlands summer team is a dumpster fire, at least based on watching the first QTR last night. It is not the type of situation where Garza can shine as a big man. No flow or structure to the offense, bad backcourt play, both of which are critical for a big man to succeed. I’m not ready to concede Garzas days in the nba are finished, but the odds are getting longer. I still can’t help but believe a contending team will find value in him to fill a end of the bench roster spot amd add to the team chemistry and locker room. Getting another year or two to qualify for an nba pension has to be a goal, so I suspect he is going to do everything in his powers to make it work. If after three or four years it becomes clear his window of opportunity has closed, then I could see him entertaining a career overseas. Until then, I think it’s clear he is all in on the NBA. Sure hope it happens for him.
I agree with you. Portland’s summer league team is terrible. They don’t even look to get Luka the ball. There were several times he sealed off his man with good position and they never looked at him. There were several pick and rolls that the guy with the ball forced up a shot and never looked at the sometimes open roll man. I hope he finds a team that could use his hustle and work ethic.

Watching back the 15 minutes he played Monday night. Actually think he’s come a long way mentally on defense. He anticipated pretty well. Looks a little quicker with his weight loss, but still was noticeably the slowest guy out there.

Double dribbled after trying to power through a guy so his game will still need to keep up with his weight change.
And that's the main issue. He could be a little slower than the average big man and find a spot. Unfortunately, I think there's essentially a speed/quickness/athletic fluidity threshold that a player just can't be below and still be viable for a roster spot with current league expectations. Even at the 5. It just looks like, unfortunately, Luka is not at that level for a center in today's NBA. I'm happy to be wrong and see him make a team. But if I'm being objective it's hard to see it happening.

I figured 2yrs in NBA then Europe. Looks like he is on his way in making me clairvoyant

Rewatched his time in the game last night. First quarter was like Tuesday, but the coaches must’ve emphasized playing through Luka because the difference was noticeable after half. Actually ran sets for him to get post touches and so forth. Experimenting I guess.

Went very well. Like seeing improved passing out of the post. Made a few shots. Had a couple of good moves with shots that went in and out. Can tell some players didn’t come up in systems where they taught how to post pass. Don’t throw it at his feet. Don’t just throw it into traffic right away without a ball fake.

But it does emphasize that he has to find the right spot with players and coaches who know what to do with him. I think Portland will have liked what they saw, but who knows if it’ll be enough.

This guy thinks Houston should target Luka

Houston is at the stage of its post-James Harden rebuild where it can throw a ton of things at the wall and see which ones stick.
That's the kind of mentality that could steer Space City toward Luka Garza. While it isn't clear whether he can defend at this level, the Rockets previously placed a similar gamble on Alperen Sengun in hopes that his offensive upside would win out.
Garza offers a similar kind of prize—provided he can defend well enough to stay on the floor. He isn't the same caliber of passer as Sengun, but Garza is similarly skilled on the low post and more comfortable (and capable) scoring away from it.

Bleacher Report

Yes! Minnesota doesn't have many spots as I think most are on guaranteed contracts so he'll need quite a training camp to make a roster!

Fa26m6AWQAAQP8K

Hard to believe a guy with his scoring ability, he can't find a roster spot. You know he's only getting better too with the way he works. If he's shooting a solid three percentage...his ability to bring bigs out to open the lane is huge. He needs to be able to defend and rebound too...but the offense could be helpful for some teams.

I would love to see him land in San Antonio or Golden State. Golden State may make sense as crazy as that sounds. I know Bjelica is 34 now...and he's the back up at the 4 or 5 depending on who is in the game. Garza's game reminds me of Bjelica's game...although Bjelica moves better. He gets around 15 minutes a game.
Was thinking similar that I could see Luka sticking with teams like Golden State, Dallas, or San Antonio.

It's a shot with long odds, but a shot nonetheless.

Agree.

The Wolves have their roster page updated with Luka.

They currently are at 22 players and have to cut 2 by training camp.

Then they will have to cut 5 more players to get down to the 15 man roster for the regular season. They can then sign 2 players to two-way deals (their G League team is the Iowa Wolves in Des Moines).

T-Wolves Current Roster:

Nowitzki had a killer one footed fade-away, and was at least a threat to put in on the floor and go to the rim. Less if a negative defender.
Definitely not saying he's Nowitzki, just some striking similarities. The range + creative ways to score is fairly unique for a guy Garza's size. Nowitzki got hammered for his defense early in his career too. But it seems clear the NBA doesn't feel he can contribute at a significant level (or maybe any level) at this point. He'll still make $10mil playing hoops in his career and forever be POY, not a bad way to set up rest of life.

Definitely not saying he's Nowitzki, just some striking similarities. The range + creative ways to score is fairly unique for a guy Garza's size. Nowitzki got hammered for his defense early in his career too. But it seems clear the NBA doesn't feel he can contribute at a significant level (or maybe any level) at this point. He'll still make $10mil playing hoops in his career and forever be POY, not a bad way to set up rest of life.
Yeah I think of the hundreds/thousands of pick-up bball games I have played in my life, sprained ankles, pointy elbow hits, bloody noses...and didn't make a dime! To play a sport you love and get paid comes with lots of stress and hardwork but isn't the worst road to go down!

That'd be what they call an old school. I think he would have been pretty darn good.

Yep, I see Garza as a jack sikma type guy back in the day. When the NBA was a better game, Imo. The sonics were my favorite team, I had just started getting into bb then. They had downtown, john Johnson, gus Williams, sikma, Dennis Johnson. I was hooked. Few years later it was the sixers, them were the good Ole days

Last edited:
I thought Garza would play about 2 years in NBA and end up in Europe. Unfortunately I'm close to correct. He lacks the quick footwork needed in the NBA.

Looked pretty good tonight. Moved well. As light as I've seen him on his feet changing directions. Think he'll stick around for a while

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT