ADVERTISEMENT

Garza: "I don't think the effort was there."

Purdue played with its back against the wall. A lot of times a sense of urgency does turn into extra effort. On that note I always prefer the senior celebration to be put after the game, so that there is an urgency to win the game for the seniors. If the celebration is already over, players feel relieved before the game even starts.

Luka needs to listen to Painter's post game comments, "We would prefer Garza take the outside shot rather than ripping us inside and drawing fouls".

They made that hard for him to operate inside with those hard double teams. The rest of the team just stood around waiting for him to try and pass out of the double team to them for jump shots. They were not making themselves available nor were the cutting. They did little to help him out. If teams are going to play Garza that way, the other guys need to cut and need to make themselves much more available then they did.

Thats what’s concerning. Figured Iowa would be out for blood. Guess not
Yeah, I don't get it.

* Senior Day
* #4 seed in BTT on the line
* Undefeated B1G home season on the line
* Revenge factor from last game
* 3 game losing streak to PU (now 4)
* Knowing Purdue was going to come into this game with their NCAA Tourney lives on the line, Iowa had to match THEIR intensity. Did not come close.

100% agree with Garza, but here's my question:

Was he calling anybody out specifically, or just making an overall "team" comment?

Was the effort bad the entire game? I am asking because I put it on triple fast forward after about 5 minutes of play and didn't really actually watch any of it from that point on, just noticed the score was continually staying bad.

Reactions: pkongsh
They made that hard for him to operate inside with those hard double teams. The rest of the team just stood around waiting for him to try and pass out of the double team to them for jump shots. They were not making themselves available nor were the cutting. They did little to help him out. If teams are going to play Garza that way, the other guys need to cut and need to make themselves much more available then they did.

Lack of movement you could see it early on when Luka was double teamed. Not as much movement or cutting to the basket instead lot of standing around the perimeter.

As for lack of effort good for Luka for calling them out. As the leader he's putting the team on notice this can't happen with the tourney around the corner and doing so without throwing one player under the bus. Could've easily called out Wieskamp for giving up offensive rebound after offensive rebound or Pemsl who looked lost and never played zone, or careless turnovers by our guards, etc. But obviously the rebounding was half the story along with D and loose balls.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Purdue played with its back against the wall. A lot of times a sense of urgency does turn into extra effort. On that note I always prefer the senior celebration to be put after the game, so that there is an urgency to win the game for the seniors. If the celebration is already over, players feel relieved before the game even starts.
Iowa is in some sort playing with their backs to the wall also. Needed a win to stay in the hunt for a double buy which would allow them some rest. This team currently isn’t built to play 3 in 3 days. 2 in a row would wear them out. Not deep enough. Fran needs to find a way to light a fire under these guys and wouldn’t hurt to hire a hypnotist for Weezy.

100% agree with Garza, but here's my question:

Was he calling anybody out specifically, or just making an overall "team" comment?
Thats what I thought when I read his comment as well. We know he works his ass off, so is he pointing fingers? No doubt he's the leader of this team, so hopefully this will be taken as motivation by his team mates and not be a devisive.

I actually didn't think Luka's normal effort was there early in the game.

Garza at 90% effort is 2X the other guys. He got 12 rebounds....Kreiner 2, Pemsl 0, Connor got 2-3. Purdue Bourdeaux outrebounded Kreiner, Pemsl, Connor, Fredrick, Bakari combined. JoeW at least showed up on the glass and got 7 rebounds

Joe Touisant had 3 in 16 minutes, but he turned it over as many times.

Honestly, Purdue looks like they have this teams number. I wouldn't want to play Purdue in BTT, probably another loss.

Hopefully a foul was called on the play pictured.

Check this out:

Ummm, excuse me, Mr. Official....That appears to be two hands by a defensive player on an offensive player. Shouldn't that be an automatic foul?

"Uhh, ohh yeah you're right.....Well, I'm gonna let it go because they're battling hard inside, and Luka is so physical, you cant just allow teams to guard him with one hand."

Huh.....that's not what the rules say you f***ing zebra. Gtfo my court.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Thats what I thought when I read his comment as well. We know he works his ass off, so is he pointing fingers? No doubt he's the leader of this team, so hopefully this will be taken as motivation by his team mates and not be a devisive.

Joe W has been playing like he doesn't enjoy the team, sport, or himself... almost as if something "changed" with him and this is irresponsible to speculate, but since nobody cares what I think anyway, well...

Joe is in a slump. Nobody looks good when they're slumping. The kid just needs to reset and have fun. I'd advise him to channel some Chris Kingsbury and start launching from 30, 35 feet. I don't think they'll be guarding him that far out, but an open 35-footer is a great shot for a great shooter like Joe is. He just needs to remember that and start launching.

Getting physical and going nuts on the boards would help too. Time to start dishing it out.

Joe is in a slump. Nobody looks good when they're slumping. The kid just needs to reset and have fun. I'd advise him to channel some Chris Kingsbury and start launching from 30, 35 feet. I don't think they'll be guarding him that far out, but an open 35-footer is a great shot for a great shooter like Joe is. He just needs to remember that and start launching.

Getting physical and going nuts on the boards would help too. Time to start dishing it out.
Well he certainly is in a slump, but I don't know about him launching bombs. You need to have strength to shoot a normal jump shot from that distance( see Kingsbury), and to dish it out taking it to the hole. Not sure Joe has that. I'd agree with the poster that mentioned that Joe W looks like he's lost about 10 lbs and doesn't look as cut as he was last season.

Joe W has been playing like he doesn't enjoy the team, sport, or himself... almost as if something "changed" with him and this is irresponsible to speculate, but since nobody cares what I think anyway, well...
He certainly isn't enjoying the way he's playing right now....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT