ADVERTISEMENT

Gazette article on Keegan & Kris Murray; both have put on 25-30lbs in one year at DME Academy

I was looking at DME Academy's website to look for stats and can not find them on any of the post grad teams for 2020... Was trying to see how they compared to their teammates stat wise. Anybody find a legit link to their season?

I had viewed them as "3's" or small forwards, but seem to recall them being recently mentioned as power forwards due to their added size. I realize there has been some blurring of traditional positions. Thoughts?
I've read that Kris is more of a 4-3. Keegan more 3-4. Looking at UNO's link (thanks BTW), I see Kris at 188 lbs has got some development to do. Keegan at 208lbs may be more ready. They can score, especially Keegan.
Reposting UNO's link:
https://dmeteams.com/team/all-players/10040

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I've read that Kris is more of a 4-3. Keegan more 3-4. Looking at UNO's link (thanks BTW), I see Kris at 188 lbs has got some development to do. Keegan at 208lbs may be more ready. They can score, especially Keegan.
Reposting UNO's link:
May be wrong, but I do not think those are current weights. Also believe Keegan is closer to 6’9” now.

Reactions: perryhawk
Reposting UNO's link:

I may be wrong, but isn't that backwords? Keegan is more of a stretch 4 and Kris more of a utility 3-4? I could be wrong, just going off of the video and stuff I've read. I think with Cordell transferring that playing time just opened up for Keegan specifically. That said, Kris's rebounding numbers are better. It would be good to read Kenyon's thoughts on this since he is the guy that would know. Maybe he already posted them somewhere.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
The Murray boys, or at least the bigger one, just got a lot more important than they were on Monday.

Jack's ability to play is unknown. He's never been a good defender when he's forced to defend outside the lane. I think his career should remain in the lane, so to speak. Not nearly as athletic as Ryan, and Ryan isn't LeBron. None of us have any idea that Ogundele can defend outside the lane, or defend at all at the collegiate level. There is no known Hawk to play a standard

There are going to be times when we're going to need a guy that's big enough to defend a 4 that can hit outside. The Murray boys are going to have a chance to fill that role with Cordell gone. An opportunity for early PT.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
The Murray boys, or at least the bigger one, just got a lot more important than they were on Monday.

Jack's ability to play is unknown. He's never been a good defender when he's forced to defend outside the lane. I think his career should remain in the lane, so to speak. Not nearly as athletic as Ryan, and Ryan isn't LeBron. None of us have any idea that Ogundele can defend outside the lane, or defend at all at the collegiate level. There is no known Hawk to play a standard

There are going to be times when we're going to need a guy that's big enough to defend a 4 that can hit outside. The Murray boys are going to have a chance to fill that role with Cordell gone. An opportunity for early PT.

I agree with all of that.....except the part about Ryan being more athletic. I think the best parts, most intriguing parts, of Jack's ability is that at nearly 7' he runs the floor and can jump better than either Ryan or Luka. It's hard to remember 3 years ago but one of the plays I recall was him playing the point on the press and getting a steal, running the floor and dunking it. He was fast and coordinated.....decent verticle.

May be wrong, but I do not think those are current weights. Also believe Keegan is closer to 6’9” now.
Yes, I’m just quoting the link from their team website that Unohawk linked. Sure the weights have gone up. Keegan is certain, however, to have the more college-ready body and skill set.

Also, watching them on film, it would seem to me that Kris is the SF and Keegan the stretch 4. Still think that’s where they’ll end up. However, I’ve read that they are training more to the opposite positions because of their skill sets.

Reactions: perryhawk
giphy.gif

Reposting UNO's link:
Keegan is 6’9 (with shoes) 210lbs. Kris is 6’8 (with shoes) 207lbs. Kris can play 2-4 due to his versatility on the defensive end of the floor. He probably is more comfortable playing the 3, but spent mins last year at DME playing 1-4. Keegan is more comfortable playing the 3-4 positions. Fran is slating him as a stretch 4. With the weight program and my boys’ dedication to their regiment, I could see both at 215lbs+ by beginning of the season.

Keegan is 6’9 (with shoes) 210lbs. Kris is 6’8 (with shoes) 207lbs. Kris can play 2-4 due to his versatility on the defensive end of the floor. He probably is more comfortable playing the 3, but spent mins last year at DME playing 1-4. Keegan is more comfortable playing the 3-4 positions. Fran is slating him as a stretch 4. With the weight program and my boys’ dedication to their regiment, I could see both at 215lbs+ by beginning of the season.
Do you know what is their wingspan is? They both seem to have long arms.

Reactions: Franisdaman
thank you for bringing some positivity to the discussion.

are Keegan & Kris back in Iowa now, I hope?

hope you and your family are healthy and doing well considering the pandemic that surrounds us.

thank you for bringing some positivity to the discussion.

are Keegan & Kris back in Iowa now, I hope?

hope you and your family are healthy and doing well considering the pandemic that surrounds us.
I moved my family back on March15. When we left Florida, there were only around 30 confirmed cases, so our timing was great. They are lifting at home, doing yoga and shooting in "unspecified" locations a few times per week. Definitely maintaining current weight, seeing as my grocery bill has doubled since they moved back!!

Last edited:
I moved my family back on October 15. When we left Florida, there were only around 30 confirmed cases, so our timing was great. They are lifting at home, doing yoga and shooting in "unspecified" locations a few times per week. Definitely maintaining current weight, seeing as my grocery bill has doubled since they moved back!!
Oct 15? Weren't the twins in Florida in March still?

Also, Tom Davis teams were known for great rebounding, even when playing zone defense. They often led the nation in rebounding margin. What did he do that led to that rebounding success?

Also, Tom Davis teams were known for great rebounding, even when playing zone defense. They often led the nation in rebounding margin. What did he do that led to that rebounding success?
I meant March 15th. I am working from home and was working on a 4th quarter forecast. October was in my head. LOL

In regards to what we did, we drilled "boxing out" EVERY day. He had a drill where we had to keep our hands behind our backs, use our legs hips and butt to box out the offense and the ball had to bounce at least one time before we could secure it with our hands. Because of drills like that, when we were allowed to use everything, we were a pretty good rebounding team. ;)

In regards to what we did, we drilled "boxing out" EVERY day. He had a drill where we had to keep our hands behind our backs, use our legs hips and butt to box out the offense and the ball had to bounce at least one time before we could secure it with our hands. Because of drills like that, when we were allowed to use everything, we were a pretty good rebounding team. ;)
when you were practicing zone, how did you make sure all 5 of you found someone to box out in order to prevent an offensive player from slipping by to get an offensive rebound?

was their any "penalty" in practice if someone did not box out his man?

i appreciate your insight. i appreciate rebounding because if you don't rebound, you don't possess the ball and you can't score if you don't possess the ball. ;)

That is one stark difference in Fran's game compared to Dr Tom's....rebounding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT