ADVERTISEMENT

Geno Stone signs with the Bengals. 2 years, $15,000,000

Not bad for a kid that was committed to Kent State and flipped to Iowa two days before signing. Visited the weekend before signing day, committed on January 31st, and signed on February 2nd.

If I remember, he did not want to visit late in the process but his Mom said he should. Way to go Mom. Congrats to Geno for working his ass off to get where he is.

Geno is one of those good recruiting stories. He was a 2 Star recruit, according to Rivals. When Phil Parker offered, Geno told his mom he would not visit Iowa. Geno didn't even know where Iowa was. His mom said otherwise.

From a 2020 Baltimore Sun article:

In January 2016, just weeks away from national signing day, Iowa defensive coordinator and secondary coach Phil Parker needed a safety. The Hawkeyes had just lost out on a recruit from Detroit; there was still a scholarship available.

A coach told Parker about a senior in New Castle — committed to Kent State but looking around. So Parker flew in and drove over to the city, not far from the Pennsylvania-Ohio border, to ask about Geno Stone. He chuckled as he remembered meeting Sam Flora, New Castle’s longtime athletic director.

“Of course, he gave me an ass whooping because I wasn't there earlier or something like that,” Parker said last week, “but I really don't recruit that area.”

Geno’s first offer was from Harvard, but he grew up wanting to play for Penn State.

That January, Michigan State showed interest in Geno, then canceled his official visit just days before his flight out to East Lansing. Another defensive back had committed.

Geno at least knew where Michigan was. When Iowa’s Parker met with the Stones not long after, “it wasn’t an easy sell,” he said. Parker could sense how close Geno was with his family. The coach told him that he’d earned an official visit to Iowa City; he didn’t have to commit.

The day after, Parker texted Geno to officially offer him a scholarship. As Geno mulled visiting with his mom Erin, he wondered: Where is Iowa even located on the map? Far from here, Erin told him.

“I'm not going. I'm not going to visit there,” Erin remembered him telling her. “There's no way.”

Erin was undeterred. Geno was going to visit Iowa. She heard every excuse. “You just don’t have a choice,” she told him. This wasn’t a booster-seat situation.

But time was running out. On Jan. 27, Geno had a Friday night playoff basketball game. On Jan. 29, coaches would enter a “quiet period” for recruiting. A day later, there would be a brief “dead period.” National signing day was less than a week away.

So at 10 p.m., after Geno’s basketball game, he and Erin prepared for a long night. Erin’s fiance, Ryan Davis, was starting the 10-hour drive to Iowa City.

On the day he decided he would play for Iowa, Geno kneeled next to Erin, still half-asleep in bed, and told her he was signing with Kent State.

When Geno told Erin he’d picked Kent State, she couldn’t believe him. Why not Iowa? He’d loved his official visit. Then she couldn’t believe herself: “Oh, my God. I just told my son to go 10 hours away.”

Erin knew Geno had a half-day at school that day, and she told him to come back afterward and pick her up. They could drive out to the gas station. She’d fill up his tank, her treat.

On the ride over, Erin told Geno that this was his dream, that Iowa would be fine, that she would be fine, that he didn’t need to worry about leaving the mother who’d sacrificed in her own life so that he could lead his.

“Once I got the OK from her to tell me to go chase my dreams, that was something she wanted me to always do,” Geno said. “I know it was hard for her to tell me to go, but just seeing her being that strong to let her son go 10 hours away from home, away from her, to chase his dreams, it really helped me a lot.”

5eb5d9eddd3a6.image.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT