ADVERTISEMENT

George Will hits a home run . . . baseball analysis

AuroraHawk

HB Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
I will admit to once being part of the "tribe" that resisted change such as restricting defensive shifts, pitch clock, etc. However, the extent to which the "three true outcome" analysis/strategy/approach has taken hold, it has been my opinion for several years that MLB needs to make significant changes to the game to revert the game back to where fans could expect more balls in play. IMO, Will does a phenomenal job of articulating the "case" to do so.

Advance for release Sunday, July 11, 2021, and thereafter

By George F. Will

WASHINGTON -- Even if you belong in the basket of deplorables -- Americans uninterested in baseball -- you should be intrigued by the sport's current problems. At the all-star break, Major League Baseball's 2021 season is demonstrating, redundantly, that the quality of the game as entertainment is declining. Paradoxically, the problems arise from reasonable behavior based on abundant accurate information.

Improved technology generates data about pitches' spin rates, the launch angles of batters' swings, particular batters' tendencies on particular pitches and much more. Improved kinesiology increases pitching velocity. The results include a slower pace of play, diminished action, fewer balls in play and more of them handled by radically repositioned infielders.

Five seasons ago, there were 3,294 more hits than strikeouts. Three seasons ago, strikeouts edged past hits. Writer Jayson Stark notes that until 2018 there had never been a month with more strikeouts than hits. This April there were almost 1,100 more strikeouts than hits, and writer Tyler Kepner says this season is on a pace for approximately 5,000 more strikeouts than hits. Twenty-four percent of plate appearances end in strikeouts (they are increasing for the 16th consecutive season, partly because today's average fastball's velocity is 93.8 mph, 2.7 mph more than 14 years ago. As of mid-June, the .238 collective major league batting average was 15 points below 2019. In 2015, teams shifted infielders on 9.6 percent of all pitches. This season, teams are shifting on 32 percent (usually an infielder in shallow right field), which will erase perhaps 600 hits.

With pitchers dawdling to recover between high-exertion, high-velocity pitches and with 36 percent of at-bats ending with home runs, strikeouts or walks, around four minutes pass, on average, between balls put in play. Players spend much more time with leather on their hands than with wood in their hands, but have fewer and fewer opportunities to display their athleticism as fielders. Home runs predominate because scoring by hitting a ball far over defensive shifts is more likely than hitting three singles, through shifts, off someone throwing 98 mph fastballs and 90 mph secondary pitches. This means fewer baserunners. In 2021, there probably will be 1,000 fewer stolen bases than 10 years ago.

Writer Tom Verducci notes that in the last 26 minutes of 2020's most-watched game, the final World Series game, just two balls were put in play. In this game, the ball was put in play every 6.5 minutes, and half the outs were strikeouts.

More pitches and less contact. Longer games (13 minutes 17 seconds longer than a decade ago) and less action. No wonder fans who have been neurologically rewired by their digital devices' speeds are seeking other entertainments. Major league attendance has fallen 14 percent from its 2007 peak.

Last season, MLB made an action-creating change -- a runner is placed on second base to begin each extra half-inning. And MLB is experimenting with other changes in various minor leagues.

Because pitching velocity is suffocating offense, MLB could move the pitcher's mound back a foot (from today's 60 feet six inches) to give batters more reaction time. The changed physiology of pitchers has, in effect, moved the mound closer to home plate: In the 1950s, the Yankee's 5-foot 10-inch Whitey Ford had a Hall of Fame career. Today, 6-foot 4-inch pitchers, with long arms and long strides, release the ball significantly closer to the plate than Ford did.

Requiring four infielders to be on the infield dirt -- or, even bolder, requiring two infielders to be on the dirt on each side of second base -- as the pitch is thrown, would reduce reliance on home runs, which are four seconds of action, followed by a leisurely 360-foot trot. A 20-second pitch clock might reduce velocity by reducing pitchers' between-pitches recovery time. And by quickening baseball's tempo, the clock might prevent batters from wandering away from the batter's box and ruminating between pitches. Stolen bases might increase if pitchers had to step off the rubber before throwing to first base. After a walk and then a steal, one single would produce a score.

Baseball fans, a temperamentally conservative tribe, viscerally oppose de jure changes to their game. They must, however, acknowledge the damage done to it by this century's cumulatively momentous de facto changes in the way it is played. What Edmund Burke said of states is pertinent: "A state without the means of some change is without the means of its conservation."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/syndication/columnists/george-f-will/

Last night I watched an exciting game between the Nationals and Padres that resulted in a 9-8 walk-off win for the Padres after coming back from an 8-0 deficit. That game had everything in it from defensive flashes, HRs, base hits, doubles, everything.

I disagree with everything George Will says to "fix" the game. The reason players strike out so much and don't put balls in play is because they are swinging for the HR. When you swing with launch angle your bat stays in the hitting zone less and the probability of missing the ball increases. You want to increase action? Take away the probability of hitting a HR by deadening the ball.

If the analytics change by decreasing the probability of a HR then the approach to scoring runs will change. Teams will utilize base hits and a running game to produce runs rather than playing station to station baseball waiting for the HR. It's ironic, deadening the baseball could actually increase action.

Notice I said action, not runs. The two things are not the same. More balls in play and more running the bases is increased action and more entertaining to watch but doesn't necessarily mean more runs scored.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
He is right. It has become boring.
I feel men’s tennis went the same way 25-30 years ago. Those beautiful McEnroe Connor Borg matchups with wooden racquets and agility and finesse and long points morphed into over powered tall and big guys smoking serves or returns with super strong lightweight racquets and very few long points. Boring and the sport has suffered, at least in the US. Golf was heading same way but they were able to “Tiger Proof” courses.

Used to love baseball, but the days of getting on base, stealing and manufacturing runs is long gone. There's more time spent by pitchers messing around between pitches and batters stepping out to adjust their gloves, tap bat to shoes, kick around dirt, scratch their nuts, etc., than actually playing baseball. I like these ideas. Baseball has gotten really stale over the years and it's popularity is fading.

The batters are swinging for the fences to hit home runs.

The pitchers are throwing 95 miles per hour for strikeouts.

Guess who is winning the battle? The pitchers with the
high velocity and the defensive shifts of infielders.

Bottom Line: MLB needs to make some changes to bring
back the fans who are bored with 7 no-hitters already this
season. Low scoring games are hurting MLB..

The batters are swinging for the fences to hit home runs.

The pitchers are throwing 95 miles per hour for strikeouts.

Guess who is winning the battle? The pitchers with the
high velocity and the defensive shifts of infielders.

Bottom Line: MLB needs to make some changes to bring
back the fans who are bored with 7 no-hitters already this
season. Low scoring games are hurting MLB..
Low scoring games isn't ideal, but the thing that's worse is the complete lack of action and intrigue. Each inning you only wonder two things... will someone hit a bomb or will they strike out. Snooze fest.

I'm not sure that "low scoring" is what is hurting the game. A 2-1 game where there are lots of balls in play and great defense is, IMO, extremely exciting.

What is killing the game, IMO, is the "I'm going to hit a HR, take a walk or strike out" mentality that seems to be far more prevalent.

I have no problem with SoDakHawk's suggestion to deaden the ball. I do disagree that simply deadening the ball will fix what (again IMO) ails the game. Deadening the ball won't convert balls hit between the first basemen and second basemen into hits when the shortstop is playing "rover" in shallow right field. Deadening the ball won't allow sharply hit balls up the middle to get to center field as a hit when the shortstop is playing right behind second base.

He doesn't even mention my biggest gripe - archaic regional blackouts. I live 500 miles from Wrigley, yet I am under a restriction to watch the game on television. They want to milk their fans by having them sign up for regional networks, but I am not budging. There is a reason why college football is so popular, in the fall you can catch virtually all the games on television through various times and networks. If baseball wants to gain popularity, they need to have the product practically free and widely available.

Last edited:
Agree with this. I took a lot of years off watching baseball before coming back the last few years because my son was interested. It's just atrocious now.

Obviously, there are always going to be some exciting games that fall outside the norm, but because somebody played a 9-8 game that was fun doesn't change all statistics that have accumulated that illustrate that baseball has gone from what was once a leisurely game to a moribund game interrupted by a handful of short bursts over three hours. It's essentially becoming what Americans always complained about with soccer...nothing happening for vast swaths of time, interrupted by actual excitement a few times a game.

If you've got a team you root for, it can still be sort of watchable, because you're still rooting for your guys to homer. But the idea of watching baseball in general, the way people pop on a football game or whatever, is just unthinkable.

I am fairly traditionalist in my thinking, I don't love changes that make the game "look different", like starting with runners on base, or moving the mound too much. I think that legislating the shift could work, most of us spent most of a lifetime watching baseball without the shifts, nobody is going to miss the shift aesthetically.

What I never hear about is tightening the strike zone. Seems like that would solve a ton of problems while being relatively "invisible".

Last night I watched an exciting game between the Nationals and Padres that resulted in a 9-8 walk-off win for the Padres after coming back from an 8-0 deficit. That game had everything in it from defensive flashes, HRs, base hits, doubles, everything.

I disagree with everything George Will says to "fix" the game. The reason players strike out so much and don't put balls in play is because they are swinging for the HR. When you swing with launch angle your bat stays in the hitting zone less and the probability of missing the ball increases. You want to increase action? Take away the probability of hitting a HR by deadening the ball.

If the analytics change by decreasing the probability of a HR then the approach to scoring runs will change. Teams will utilize base hits and a running game to produce runs rather than playing station to station baseball waiting for the HR. It's ironic, deadening the baseball could actually increase action.

Notice I said action, not runs. The two things are not the same. More balls in play and more running the bases is increased action and more entertaining to watch but doesn't necessarily mean more runs scored.
One game...a SINGLE game...does not invalidate Will's analysis - which is correct. Deaden the ball and leave everything else the same? You don't change the number of strike-outs...a "dead ball" is still traveling at 98 mph. You create fly-outs and ground-outs because you haven't addressed the shift.

Try again?

I quit watching/paying attention many years ago. The pace of play combined with the announcers cliches have made the game as entertaining as watching ice form on a lake.

SoMplsHawk1 has 10,000 lakes in his state. He enjoys
ice-fishing in the Winter and boating in the Summer.
May we never forget that Hamms Beer came from the
land of sky blue waters.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I am against stopping the shift. Bunt the god damn ball over where they are not.

I think they want to remove shift mostly because it makes batters look like idiots.

Jumped to the bottom but will go back and read the thread later but two things quick.

One, pretty telling during Jed's interview just now on the Score that the Cubs are going back to building their offense around guys who make contact. He said there are just too many strikeout pitchers now and the lineup needs contact guys that can keep the order turning over. I think we are seeing teams evolve to counter what is going on. That's why we don't need to alter the rules. The teams will evolve and adapt. They'll adapt to consistency.

Two, my idea of deadening the ball isn't going back to dead ball era. It's going back to the early 2010s when HR were down and the Royals were winning by playing small ball. Before MLB juiced the ball because HR were down post steroid era. They juiced it but won't admit it.

I am against stopping the shift. Bunt the god damn ball over where they are not.

I think they want to remove shift mostly because it makes batters look like idiots.
They hit into the shift because they are trying to blast HRs. Deaden the ball and they'll change their approach and hit to all fields.

Baseball is boring because nothing happens anymore. Last month both the College baseball WS and the College softball WS were on TV. The softball was orders of magnitude more exciting to watch. Play is much faster, balls are put in play every inning, HRs happen but don't dominate the game, small ball can still win games.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
A fact most fans don't know about the 1960 World Series between the Yankees and Pirates: Yes, the Pirates won game 7 on a lead-off home run in the bottom of the 9th, but what most don't know: There was not a single strikeout in the entire game.

IMHO, a few things have ruined baseball. 1. Too damn many pitching changes. Very few 20 game winners now. All the changes take time.

2. Batters swing for the fences even when they have 2 strikes. No wonder there are more strikeouts.

3. I think free agency sucks. When I was young and a baseball fanatic, I could tell you every position player on every team. Not today. Teams change rosters more often than some people change underwear. Have an all-star on your favorite team? Better enjoy him while you can . . . chances are he won't be here long.

He doesn't even mention my biggest gripe - archaic regional blackouts. I live 500 miles from Wrigley, yet I am under a restriction to watch the game on television. They want to milk their fans by having them sign up for regional networks, but I am not budging. There is a reason why college football is so popular, in the fall you can catch virtually all the games on television through various times and networks. If baseball wants to gain popularity, they need to have the product practically free and widely available.
THIS! Stop trying to change the game and actually do the things to promote it. Ticket prices have come down, which is great, but MLB is their own worst enemy in promoting the game. Greed is still getting in their way.

And while I hate a lot of what Don Garber does, MLS is capitalizing by making games very easy to find, and striking a deal to be the first league to put their PPV package on ESPN+ with no blackouts. National games can be found regularly on four different TV networks, one Twitter game of the week, increasingly the big four over-the-air networks, and both viewership and attendance has boomed.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT