ADVERTISEMENT

getting a bit of a 2008 flood vibe this morning

bagdropper

HR Legend
Oct 17, 2002
Looking at the radar light up this morning, I can't help but remember how the June 2008 flooding began with a series of carpet bombing rain systems running over the same areas.

No, I highly doubt that's going to happen (we didn't have the over-saturated soils to begin the spring like we did in 2008) - and even though much of eastern Iowa is still technically in a drought - Iowa has been getting a lot of rain lately, and the forecast for this weekend is saying maybe a lot more is coming this weekend.

1993...2008...OK we've missed the 15 year window by a year, but still. I just have had this feeling that when the drought breaks, it's going to break big.

Raining like a mother again in IC. We aren’t anywhere near flood stage as the reservoir is low, but central Iowa and the Cedar can’t be good with another 2 inches expected today.

Looking at the radar light up this morning, I can't help but remember how the June 2008 flooding began with a series of carpet bombing rain systems running over the same areas.

No, I highly doubt that's going to happen (we didn't have the over-saturated soils to begin the spring like we did in 2008) - and even though much of eastern Iowa is still technically in a drought - Iowa has been getting a lot of rain lately, and the forecast for this weekend is saying maybe a lot more is coming this weekend.

1993...2008...OK we've missed the 15 year window by a year, but still. I just have had this feeling that when the drought breaks, it's going to break big.
In 1993 it was the regular rain events that stacked which caused problems. It is starting to feel a little similar…

Raining REALLY hard in CR right now. Gonna pass by quick but the line is back-building big time.

Going to be some very robust totals coming in from this morning across all eastern Iowa.

Our river just got back in its banks a week ago. Now I saw this morning it's out again and all the parks are closed again.

What did that cost per ton?
Not sure per ton. I get it from Mike Rittenmyer out the on Sioux Ave. I think he gets like 60.00 per large skid loader scoop. My buddy can get like 4 scoops on his ton truck and I pay him cash. This is the pulverized “ black gold “ it’s more expensive but no lumps as so easy to work. It’s in a covered shed so arrives dry…

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Not sure per ton. I get it from Mike Rittenmyer out the on Sioux Ave. I think he gets like 60.00 per large skid loader scoop. My buddy can get like 4 scoops on his ton truck and I pay him cash. This is the pulverized “ black gold “ it’s more expensive but no lumps as so easy to work. It’s in a covered shed so arrives dry…
One skid load is around 1 ton.

I always went by 100-125 lbs. for a cubic foot of soil. Look at us and @millah_22 , all manly talking and whatnot. I bet @hawkbirch
would be very turned on by this kind of chatter, envisioning us shirtless and sweaty whilst shoveling dirt.
I’m part of this compost club in Omaha run by Soil Dynamics. When I lived in an apartment we had way more carbon compostable waste than we had space to use. We’d drop off a 2.5 gallon bucket of scraps once a week for $12 a month. In return they’d give us 1 yard of compost for free. When we moved into our house and set up our garden they gave us 2 cubic yards of 50/50 top soil/compost for $90. We had to make 2 trips but during that visit the guy said “we don’t really measure, but one skid is pretty close to a ton of soil.”

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
200w.gif

The pics from 2008 still feel unreal.

Indeed. I remember crossing the river the first night of the flooding on I380 and looking at the downtown area. It was raining and there were flashes of lightning as I was driving through. In the flashes of lightning, the city looked post-apocalyptic. No lights. No cars of people. Just lightning, water everywhere and dead buildings. It was eerie.

The Cedar River is supposed to crest at 14 feet in Cedar Rapids, which is above flood stage. It's hard to believe it was a full 17 feet higher than that in 2008.
Was that before all the rain we got today? I thought I heard that total yesterday, but it rained all day here, I’m assuming it will be higher.

Was that before all the rain we got today? I thought I heard that total yesterday, but it rained all day here, I’m assuming it will be higher.

I heard that this morning. The latest hydrograph has it cresting at 13 feet tomorrow evening though. Who knows. In 2008 it was supposed to top out in the low-20s!

cidi4_hg.png

Reactions: Chuck C
I’ll never forget driving home from work on 380 through downtown CR and seeing the entire downtown under water in 2008. It was surreal. Spent that summer working 7 12s getting penford back up and running. Made a boatload of money but my god the devastation.

Raining REALLY hard in CR right now. Gonna pass by quick but the line is back-building big time.

Going to be some very robust totals coming in from this morning across all eastern Iowa.
How much rain did you end up getting today?

How much rain did you end up getting today?

CR Airport got just short of 1.1" - seemed like more though. A Linn County trained spotter reported 1.49". Appears IC got a hair short of 1.5" at their airport and I believe that's what the Dubuque airport got also.

Looked like roughly the US151 corridor probably got the higher amounts given how the radar looked most the day.

Reactions: IANDFAN
CR Airport got just short of 1.1" - seemed like more though. A Linn County trained spotter reported 1.49". Appears IC got a hair short of 1.5" at their airport and I believe that's what the Dubuque airport got also.

Looked like roughly the US151 corridor probably got the higher amounts given how the radar looked most the day.
Always appreciate your information!!

I remember in 2008 it felt like night after night a new storm would show up out of nowhere.
2008 was the culmination of an extremely wet fall and winter. We had so much rain the previous fall and it never seemed to stop snowing! Fortunately we have been in a drought conditions this year.

Nope. Too much rain. Can’t get in fields. They are never content
SIAP, but this is a good read on a relevant topic..

1. Warm moist air rising into colder air above.
  2. Winds moving at different speeds and directions as you move up in the atmosphere, known as vertical wind shear.
This creates a rotating storm and generates an upward motion. “That upward motion then takes the rotation that's happening at the ground and basically pulls it together and sucks it up, intensifying in the process and forming a tornado,” Houser says.

The consequence of the complex processes responsible for forming tornadoes is that predicting where they’ll crop up and why is, well, tricky.

While no one is completely certain, experts think that the recent change in tornado behaviour could be a consequence of the global transition out of a period of El Niño.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT