ADVERTISEMENT

GG RIP Iowa wrestling #confirmed

Easily the worse performance I have ever seen from Iowa at Nationals. Major change has to happen even if it means Tom Brands getting the axe. He can talk the talk; but, that never seems to translate to his wrestlers and results on the mat. Iowa doesn't seem to develop their guys. What kind of cellar would Iowa be in right now if they would not have bought a couple good wrestlers?
How's that guy down at Okie State doing?
Minnesota?
Missouri
Hawks will be back. Stay calm.

Isn't this a contradiction?

It's not an excuse but it's an obvious take that we'd be better with all the starters?

contradiction GIF by GaryVee
Not really considering numerous people post on here that Brands is nonstop on his soapbox talking about “clean living” and “ doing things the right way” and his very own nephew, whose dad is the assistant head coach, was one of the ones to get suspended. You can play the “what if” game if you want but I live in the real world. The Nazis might have won WWII if it wasn’t for the battle of Stalingrad but that’s not what happened.

• Wow
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Your mom dies and you can’t make it to work because you have to handle everything= reason.

You didn’t sleep well so you can’t make it to work=excuse….

Doesn't work. and this is a false comparsion

The difference is between facts and excuse, not between reasons and excuses.

Not really considering numerous people post on here that Brands is nonstop on his soapbox talking about “clean living” and “ doing things the right way” and his very own nephew, whose dad is the assistant head coach, was one of the ones to get suspended. You can play the “what if” game if you want but I live in the real world. The Nazis might have won WWII if it wasn’t for the battle of Stalingrad but that’s not what happened.

The problem with this and other 'takes' on the distinction between an excuse and facts, is that folks on here are taking a pejorative sense of excuse and then applying to what I'm saying.

Not all excuses are bad. In fact, people ask to be excused from meetings ... excused for bumping into someone ... excused absence and not tardy.

It is this latter sense of excusing the coaches for the season I am using, because many of their starters are not available and TnT had nothing to do with that happening.

BUT this does NOT excuse the lack of effort and bonehead wrestling this weekend.

QED

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
The problem with this and other 'takes' on the distinction between an excuse and facts, is that folks on here are taking a pejorative sense of excuse and then applying to what I'm saying.

Not all excuses are bad. In fact, people ask to be excused from meetings ... excused for bumping into someone ... excused absence and not tardy.

It is this latter sense of excusing the coaches for the season I am using, because many of their starters are not available and TnT had nothing to do with that happening.

BUT this does NOT excuse the lack of effort and bonehead wrestling this weekend.

QED
I know that my OP came across as super aggressive but I honestly didn’t mean it that way. I just don’t like people using the suspensions as a way to excuse the staff from responsibility.

Brands gets maybe 1 more year then throw everything at Cunningham. He is the true technician in those coaches. Maybe some of the guys that are out there training after college would come this way and get them on the staff when they are done wrestling. And no I didn’t mean Gilman. We can have Spencer be the light weight coach. Long shot but who else you got as ideas for a head coach? We need to be able to have better recruits coming from YoungGuns and Askren. Many of Sebolt’s are over trained. The Iowa beat on them style is done.

Reactions: MVPFAN and xjohnx
Brands gets maybe 1 more year then throw everything at Cunningham. He is the true technician in those coaches. Maybe some of the guys that are out there training after college would come this way and get them on the staff when they are done wrestling. And no I didn’t mean Gilman. We can have Spencer be the light weight coach. Long shot but who else you got as ideas for a head coach? We need to be able to have better recruits coming from YoungGuns and Askren. Many of Sebolt’s are over trained. The Iowa beat on them style is done.
Just so I understand…you are planning to fire TnT, throw a few million at Cunningham and Spencer will be his assistant coach?

While I’ve shared some of these opinions overall, yesterday is not meaningful in that discussion. You can’t take much away from Day 1 scoring unless half the team gets upset in the early rounds (in which case we can listen to Tom saying we were not ready, we need to be ready, we’ve got work to do….

But that didn’t happen yesterday. Kennedy and Glazier botched their first match. Middle seeds like Rathjen are always gonna be a coin flips throughout this tournament. Otherwise, Hill had a nice win, both Ayala and Woods are doing what we’ve been waiting for all season (not just winning, but getting after bonus), and the rest of the crew is doing what we expected.

Tied for 2nd w/ 9 alive is hardly the worst Day 1 at Nationals the Hawkeyes have ever had.
Nevermind…ymtoday was nit fun. At leasg Yala is excited.

• Haha
Reactions: Squarehat
If we fire the Brands, Spencer is not staying. He came here for Terry Brands and he will leave with him. Austin DeSanto will also leave. I’d imagine the rest of the roster of the HWC wouldnt be far behind them. Deluca and Angelo both said the brands were big reasons they committed. The wrestlers on our roster have immense loyalty to the brands, firing them would literally mean an entire rebuild of the program from the bottom up. We absolutely need to find good assistants/HWC guys that can help our college team. Taking Cunningham doesn’t really do anything for us. Do people go to Penn st for Cunningham or are they going for the chance to work with the greatest college wrestler of all time and some of the greatest college wrestlers in the last 2 decades.

I know that my OP came across as super aggressive but I honestly didn’t mean it that way. I just don’t like people using the suspensions as a way to excuse the staff from responsibility.

EXACTLY ... it's a both/and.

To make your point stronger, Cerro, the Brands could have used this opportunity to show how good of a coaching job they are doing, in spite of the gambling setback.

The opposite happened--their lack of coaching is on FULL display as the effort and production is basically gone.

That is, this gambling thing exposed rather than refined TnT.

Time to move on from them.

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
Cunningham isn’t leaving. He’s already been offered jobs and I don’t think he’s even entertained an interview yet.

EXACTLY ... it's a both/and.

To make your point stronger, Cerro, the Brands could have used this opportunity to show how good of a coaching job they are doing, in spite of the gambling setback.

The opposite happened--their lack of coaching is on FULL display as the effort and production is basically gone.

That is, this gambling thing exposed rather than refined TnT.

Time to move on from them.
Re the gambling thing, people are using that as an excuse too much. No gambling and they have no AA at 157, Kennedy likely no better than Rd of 12 at 165, Brands AA at 174 and maybe low AA with Assad. Instead we got AA at 157, AA at 165 and Rd of 12 at 174 and no AA at 184. Honestly I don't see super skinny Cass being better than 4th where he was last year. Kerk and Hendrickson were better than him last year and Davison was close to beating him last year. Cass's points were the biggest difference. We were more likely to finish second but still miles behind PSU. The no gambling team wasn't monumentally better than the team we ended up with after adding Franek and Calliendo.

Re the gambling thing, people are using that as an excuse too much. No gambling and they have no AA at 157, Kennedy likely no better than Rd of 12 at 165, Brands AA at 174 and maybe low AA with Assad. Instead we got AA at 157, AA at 165 and Rd of 12 at 174 and no AA at 184. Honestly I don't see super skinny Cass being better than 4th where he was last year. Kerk and Hendrickson were better than him last year and Davison was close to beating him last year. Cass's points were the biggest difference. We were more likely to finish second but still miles behind PSU. The no gambling team wasn't monumentally better than the team we ended up with after adding Franek and Calliendo.
Are you honestly saying they don’t go get Franek and Caliendo if not for the gambling issue? If so, that is a monumentally stupid take. They were going there EITHER way.

With that said, PSU is probably going to break the scoring record. NO team EVER was going to compete with this PSU team. Using it as an argument to indict the coaching staff is almost as stupid of a take as the transfers not coming…

Are you honestly saying they don’t go get Franek and Caliendo if not for the gambling issue? If so, that is a monumentally stupid take. They were going there EITHER way.

With that said, PSU is probably going to break the scoring record. NO team EVER was going to compete with this PSU team. Using it as an argument to indict the coaching staff is almost as stupid of a take as the transfers not coming…

Watching Iowa is surreal.

just push push push with no shots

then when shots are taken, it's grab and hold

How's that guy down at Okie State doing?
Minnesota?
Missouri
Hawks will be back. Stay calm.
Is that Iowa's standards? Very pathetic showing. When will Brands make some changes and get a technician that can actually develop guys? 3 of the 4 All Americans were bought.

Reactions: sstark46
Maybe you can get an unpaid assistant coach job. Call Tom.
And yet, he's right. But, you knew that. That's why you went with a one-liner instead of addressing his point. Good stuff. We'll just keep on getting thrashed by PSU (and others now) and pretending all is well. We'll aim for a top-2 finish once every five years. If anyone notices how bad it's gotten, just throw out a one-liner to try to shut them up. That'll do the trick.

And yet, he's right. But, you knew that. That's why you went with a one-liner instead of addressing his point. Good stuff. We'll just keep on getting thrashed by PSU (and others now) and pretending all is well. We'll aim for a top-2 finish once every five years. If anyone notices how bad it's gotten, just throw out a one-liner to try to shut them up. That'll do the trick.
The point was that his kind of rhetoric does nothing to solve any of the problems. While I don't agree with every thing you have posted, it at least stated problems and possible solutions. But you already knew that.

Reactions: wahlberg
The point was that his kind of rhetoric does nothing to solve any of the problems. While I don't agree with every thing you have posted, it at least stated problems and possible solutions. But you already knew that.
True that.

You sacrifice success in Wrestling because virtue signalers want to keep up equity and inclusion appearances for women’s wrestling. Is anyone actually serious about Iowas program because this board is pathetic with the women’s garbage and every other comment to fire Tom. Weak sauce.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT