ADVERTISEMENT

Give Audi credit

Run&Blade

HR Legend
May 6, 2005
So many commercials and product placements.

I feel like a loser that I don’t have one.

I have a good friend who is a service writer there. at audi in austin. you think buying one is high.... wait till you have to repair one!! jeebus. I am happy with my 2003 Toyota I paid 2k for. just paid like 700 labor to tune up and do intake and knock sensors and timing belt. my friend tells me about 7k to 15k repair bills at audi!! holy crap.

Audi ist gut.

bernd-rosemeyer-and-ferdinand-porsche-with-auto-union-c1937-c1938_a-G-13357403-14258384.jpg

11425495_1611232845828335_5163759583616988650_o.jpg

I have a good friend who is a service writer there. at audi in austin. you think buying one is high.... wait till you have to repair one!! jeebus. I am happy with my 2003 Toyota I paid 2k for. just paid like 700 labor to tune up and do intake and knock sensors and timing belt. my friend tells me about 7k to 15k repair bills at audi!! holy crap.

I’ve owned various Audi’s for about 25 years now and never had any repair over a grand. Top quality vehicles or pure luck? Regardless, I’m a very loyal Audi owner.

I’ve owned various Audi’s for about 25 years now and never had any repair over a grand. Top quality vehicles or pure luck? Regardless, I’m a very loyal Audi owner.
well this guy is dealing with 25 year old spoiled kids who drive the 2017 audi SUV into the ground and blow the motor and trans and make mommy pay

Luck. Their oil-burning engines are legendary. Like British electricals level legendary. They do make some very pretty cars that perform.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
Luck. Their oil-burning engines are legendary. Like British electricals level legendary. They do make some very pretty cars that perform.

I’ve had two of those. 4.2 V8 in an S4 and a 2.0T in an A4. Wasn’t that big of a deal because I sold / traded them within a year or so of it coming on but I can see if you’re the type of person that holds onto a car for forever it would be problematic!

I am on my 5th in 20 years and I have no complaints. Repairs can be expensive, but those are the random ones. I spend about 90 minutes with my commute and I enjoy every minute of it.

20 years ago Audi scared away potential buyers because of their on-going electrical system problems........I wonder if they ever resolved them? Typical German product....high quality and expensive...and really expensive to repair.....I knew 2 folks thats had the Audi sedans and both of them had them in the shop a lot to fix electrical related issues. When they ran, they were damn nice cars, though...but scared me away from them forever. I'd rather have another ex bride than a car that is undependable.

20 years ago Audi scared away potential buyers because of their on-going electrical system problems........I wonder if they ever resolved them? Typical German product....high quality and expensive...and really expensive to repair.....I knew 2 folks thats had the Audi sedans and both of them had them in the shop a lot to fix electrical related issues. When they ran, they were damn nice cars, though...but scared me away from them forever. I'd rather have another ex bride than a car that is undependable.

ZERO electrical issues in my 20 years.

Reactions: Hawki97
A coworker has a 2016 A-7. Great car, but I agree with previous posters that the service/repairs will hit you hard. He ran over a deer a couple months ago. I looked at the car. Didn’t see anything major underneath. The dealership said $15K to repair. Even though it’s drivable, and you can’t tell it hit anything.

ZERO electrical issues in my 20 years.

Same here. I’ve owned everything from the TT to the Q7 over the last 25 years and never once had an electrical issue.

Speaking of expensive though - drove by Carousel Motors in Iowa City today and noticed they had a 2019 Q8 out front - Prestige package. Beautiful car...for $81K! Wow.

Reactions: jasonrann

Electrical issues weren’t what almost did Audi in for the US market back in the day. Audi 5000’s experienced “unintended acceleration” before Toyota made it cool. 60 Minutes ran a rather dubious segment that almost killed Audi in North America forever.

I’ve thought about possibly getting an Audi, but I just purchased an Infiniti which I kinda like. Maybe in the future.

Electrical issues weren’t what almost did Audi in for the US market back in the day. Audi 5000’s experienced “unintended acceleration” before Toyota made it cool. 60 Minutes ran a rather dubious segment that almost killed Audi in North America forever.
wasn't that tied to an "electrical issue"? I remember it drove my neighbor nutz....and honestly, the Audi was in the garage more than it was drivable for a year or so.....this was back in about 1990 or so. Once he got the car "stablized" he got rid of it, too....but it shied me away from Audi....and then a golf buddy had one he cursed his Audi more than he did a missed 3 footer....and his was an electrical/starter issue that the dealer could Never really fix...and he spent a lot of money trying to solve it, too..

Welcome? Your boy makes HROT what it is. I provide flavor to this place
I dont know about you...but your Infinity qualifies your status here, no doubt....Another reason that when I grow up, I wanna be just like swag!

It’s just a car, I figured I would get something I liked so the Q50 it was. Plus we have the edge if we need to haul anything.

wasn't that tied to an "electrical issue"? I remember it drove my neighbor nutz....and honestly, the Audi was in the garage more than it was drivable for a year or so.....this was back in about 1990 or so. Once he got the car "stablized" he got rid of it, too....but it shied me away from Audi....and then a golf buddy had one he cursed his Audi more than he did a missed 3 footer....and his was an electrical/starter issue that the dealer could Never really fix...and he spent a lot of money trying to solve it, too..

It was actually determined it was due to unusually close placement of the brake and acclerator pedals. Kind of crazy, but that was it. There was a ton of misinformation thanks to the 60 Minutes segment and ultimately the message got so warped Audi just couldn’t recover.

I’ve been a regular on Audi forums for years and I haven’t heard of them having electrical issues at a higher rate than other auto makers (unlike the oil consumption problem which is a legit knock).

The R8 is a sharp looking car but the aluminum frames are prone to cracked welds and it’s extremely expensive to have them repaired. There’s a guy on YouTube named Samcrac who bought one at a salvage auction for about half the normal price and then fixed it himself for a fraction of the $30,000 the insurance company had quoted.

The R8 is a sharp looking car but the aluminum frames are prone to cracked welds and it’s extremely expensive to have them repaired. There’s a guy on YouTube named Samcrac who bought one at a salvage auction for about half the normal price and then fixed it himself for a fraction of the $30,000 the insurance company had quoted.

Really curious to see if that weld holds. It’s only been a couple weeks since he posted it so don’t have much of a sample to see if it’s going to make it. Probably be fine if he just drives it around town and never takes it over 40mph! What’s the fun in that though?!

Reactions: TJ8869
Even shit cars last forever now.

Had a little Japanese truck last 230,000
Had a Honda Van last 314,000
Even a dinky cheap Chevy I had lasted 220,000

I drive everything until it’s time for junk yard. Resale isn’t something I worry about. Those three cars I listed above I sold to junk yard for a combined $700.

Technology and automation pretty much makes it all about choice.

Even shit cars last forever now.

Had a little Japanese truck last 230,000
Had a Honda Van last 314,000
Even a dinky cheap Chevy I had lasted 220,000

I drive everything until it’s time for junk yard. Resale isn’t something I worry about. Those three cars I listed above I sold to junk yard for a combined $700.

Technology and automation pretty much makes it all about choice.
and I do very little without thinking how it will affect my HROT standing....and that of course, includes auto purchases....:cool:

Yay. The luxury cars are overpriced, blah, blah, blah thread.

Been driving a Mercedes or Audi for years now. Looking forward to trying a bmw or infinity next. I don’t drive them to last 200k plus miles. I drive them because they are badass and are just a whole other level.

Been driving a Mercedes or Audi for years now. Looking forward to trying a bmw or infinity next. I don’t drive them to last 200k plus miles. I drive them because they are badass and are just a whole other level.
Doesn’t the fact you are a HROTer a factor, too? I mean, there are expectations!

A friend and neighbor of ours has the S7 after invoking the lemon law on his previous Audi (a 2 door sporty model, not sure what)... this one is also a piece of crap. Its a running joke in the neighborhood about what color his next loaner car will be.

A friend and neighbor of ours has the S7 after invoking the lemon law on his previous Audi (a 2 door sporty model, not sure what)... this one is also a piece of crap. Its a running joke in the neighborhood about what color his next loaner car will be.
“Audi” translates to Fiat (Fix It All the Time). :rolleyes:
As I said earlier, altho I see a lot Audi’s on the road, my experiences with them have scared me away from ever seriously consider purchasing one.

It’s just a car, I figured I would get something I liked so the Q50 it was. Plus we have the edge if we need to haul anything.

I have had two G coipes. The 2005 model was wide and very low to the ground - very fast and sexy. The 2013 model just doesn’t have it as much. They kind of streamlined it. I do like the 2018 coupe and sedan but might go the SUV route. I looked at the QX50 entry level priced at 35k and it has cloth seats! Wtf...

I have had two G coipes. The 2005 model was wide and very low to the ground - very fast and sexy. The 2013 model just doesn’t have it as much. They kind of streamlined it. I do like the 2018 coupe and sedan but might go the SUV route. I looked at the QX50 entry level priced at 35k and it has cloth seats! Wtf...
WTF? Do you think those Germans can afford leather for a mere $35k? :D

Have you heard of a Q70? It’s supposed to be larger than the Q50, which would be nice for me.

I went with a BMW after consulting with the sales guy at the local Audi/BMW dealer. Both have excellent AWD capabilities though. I think Audi’s issues a few years back had a lot to do with the digital dash aarray as well. Looks like they’ve gone away from that.

Last edited:

that's good then because either they won't or you will go broke trying

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT